Let's Talk About Ukraine

Because I can't ignore it...I'm depressed, furious, proud of Ukrainians, heartbroken for their losses, desperate for good to somehow prevail in this David-and-Goliath story.

Anyway let's talk about it. How is this hitting the rest of you?

To quote Patterson Hood, "I'm scared shitless of what's coming next."  I fear for the future not only of Ukraine, but for the world.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Putin's reign of terror needs to end. I doubt any of his precious oligarchs could capably step into his position, if he were to um vanish.

The oligarchs are all too busy hiding out in their superyachts in the Maldives!

• Like 2

The situation in Ukraine is horrible.  I’m not ignoring it, but I can’t talk about it.

This is just one contemporaneous terrible thing too many for me.  I am only checking the news once a day at this point because I just can’t take nothing but bad news any more, after two years of nothing but bad news.

I hope Putin is brought to justice soon, but that is as much as I can say. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, chuckrh said:

I have a friend in Poland & she says that some people there are packing up there stuff in case they have to flee. I told her she should get out & come here but daydream with no money.

What a horrible position to be in, as you just try to live your life (hard enuf). My heart hurts for everyone in the region.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, i'm only sleeping said:

I am old enough to recall my parents paranoia with the missile crisis in Cuba in the '60. My only hopes for this horror are a rebellion of oligarchs or a coup d'état in Russia.

That's a bleak assessment but I think you're probably right. Meanwhile, Ukranian genocide happening. 😔

• Sad 1

Had some more communication with my friend. So far, Poland has taken in 800,000 refugees since the war started & it's rising rapidly. When the missile attack on the nuclear reactor started a lot of people started taking iodine tablets in case there's a fire on the order of Chernobyl. Things are bad & getting worse all over Europe, in particular the eastern & northern parts. 

7 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

Had some more communication with my friend. So far, Poland has taken in 800,000 refugees since the war started & it's rising rapidly. When the missile attack on the nuclear reactor started a lot of people started taking iodine tablets in case there's a fire on the order of Chernobyl. Things are bad & getting worse all over Europe, in particular the eastern & northern parts. 

Horrifying developments. Putin has lost it completely & doesn't care. It's seriously scary.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Love this. The Ukrainians make me ashamed of all my whining about first-world-type problems...and proud of the human spirit. We know they will prevail in the end but it's horrific watching them being brutalized.

Putin's own turn is coming though, and probably in the form of being fragged by his own countrymen. If I were him, I'd stay out of any tall buildings, since a surprising number of Russians seem to fall to their deaths. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After World War II this wasn't supposed to happen again. Though I consider myself to be a left-leaning centrist, I'm the son of a military man. As such I'm pretty hawkish when it comes to just causes like this (as opposed to Iraq). Following this war is infuriating. Any student of history knows that Putin won't stop with Ukraine. He needs to be dealt with now, and I'm extremely disappointed in the West's response.  

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

After World War II this wasn't supposed to happen again. Though I consider myself to be a left-leaning centrist, I'm the son of a military man. As such I'm pretty hawkish when it comes to just causes like this (as opposed to Iraq). Following this war is infuriating. Any student of history knows that Putin won't stop with Ukraine. He needs to be dealt with now, and I'm extremely disappointed in the West's response.  

Man, I get that. It appears, though, that Russia is stalled right now and that this isn't going as he planned. Right now, one of the few prospects scarier than what's going on in Ukraine is it going on with U.S. boots on the ground or jets in the air. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I hate how this war has dragged on and on, and all that has been accomplished is a lot of ruined cities and villages and lives. The latest expectations are apparently that Russia will now intensify the terrorism in the Donbas region in hopes of having some "victory" to boast about on Victory Day, May 9th, when they traditionally hold military marches in Red Square.

Great. More dead bodies coming right up, both Ukrainian and Russian. :realmad :frusty :ohwell

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This war is just wandering bloodletting at this point and headed for some brutally stupid escalation. Putin is seemingly beyond caring that any nuclear action would harm him, as well. 

I wonder if he knows he is dying, and doesn't give a damned fig anymore. He's clearly ill, likely with Parkinson's, but then again...he has children. Does he care if his children or their mother wind up on a nuclearly-poisoned planet?

I guess the big question everyone is guessing at is, exactly how far gone IS Putin?

Hitler, at the end, had no particular goal in mind other than to control and destroy. Is Putin there?

Also with the climate crisis, um yeah, a nuclear threat & distraction was JUST what we needed at this point in human history. 😟

• Like 1