Wilcoworld Radio, Vol. 3

10 hours ago, bböp said:

Thank you, sir. You've been to plenty of shows yourself, so I appreciate the kind words. And there's definite room for improvement, so hopefully it happens again sometime in some form...

Haven't heard it but just the idea that it happened makes me happy, so ta for that.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Haven't heard it but just the idea that it happened makes me happy, so ta for that.

I shall accept your ta, and issue a pre-emptive ta of my own for when/if you get a chance to tune in…

Guess I could start a new thread, but my favorite show, while also running into Paul (and a few other VCers) was at a Tweedy solo show up in Fish Creek, Wisconsin in 2011.

The show was off the beaten path, so it was nice to run into people I 'knew'.  

I am not much of a talker - so I probably didn't say anything, maybe a hello - I just remember pointing him out to my wife and telling her he goes to lots of shows.

That was a great weekend of camping and milling around town, after the Friday night show. 

A great setlist, too. (I don't think a tape ever appeared, but I may be misremembering that) 

1. Spiders (Kidsmoke) 
2. Remember The Mountain Bed  
3. Muzzle Of Bees    

4. Open Mind
5. Deeper Down    
6. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart    
7. Pecan Pie
8. Hummingbird    
9. Born Alone
10. Jesus, Etc.    
11. Bull Black Nova    

Set 2:
12. The Late Greats    
13. I'm The Man Who Loves You    
14. Dawned On Me
15. Gun
16. Passenger Side    
17. Heavy Metal Drummer    
18. A Shot In The Arm    
19. Walken    (without PA)
20. Acuff-Rose (without PA)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bböp said:

I shall accept your ta, and issue a pre-emptive ta of my own for when/if you get a chance to tune in…

There's a repeat on Thursday that works out at about 11am I think for me, so will try for that (work allowing).

• Thanks 1
On 1/18/2023 at 7:46 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

There's a repeat on Thursday that works out at about 11am I think for me, so will try for that (work allowing).

Finally got a broadcast that coincided with my timezone. Nice radio voice and interesting choices (apart from the Peaches thing that I had never heard of). Good work.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lost highway said:

Okay, someone's got to have these playlists. I could see waiting for them to take down the radio first, but I think Pat and Nels have made my new favorite mix tapes.

Mikael played some jams, too. I've only heard a bit of his set, but what I did hear was excellent. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, lost highway said:

Okay, someone's got to have these playlists. I could see waiting for them to take down the radio first, but I think Pat and Nels have made my new favorite mix tapes.

I have (almost all of) Nels’ setlist, which I’ll post here in a bit. I’m pretty sure Pat’s set was an abridged version of a previously recorded set of his radio show, the Baroque Down Palace, which you can find on the site for Memphis’s WYXR…will try to find a link.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bböp said:

I have (almost all of) Nels’ setlist, which I’ll post here in a bit. I’m pretty sure Pat’s set was an abridged version of a previously recorded set of his radio show, the Baroque Down Palace, which you can find on the site for Memphis’s WXYR…will try to find a link.

I caught a bit of Paul Suwan's set, too. Great stuff! I wish Wilcoworld Radioooooooo had a month more.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Lukestar said:

I caught a bit of Paul Suwan's set, too. Great stuff! I wish Wilcoworld Radioooooooo had a month more.

Who's that guy? Yeah, I hope they end up doing another edition of WWR sooner than later, though I know it takes a ton of work to put it all together.

Anyway, for those jonesing for more Wilco radio, here's that link to the archives of Pat's excellent show, the Baroque Down Palace, from Memphis' WYXR.

And here was Nels' "Thoughts Of A Fool" set, as I jotted it down:

-Deep Water (Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant)

-Thoughts Of A Fool (Ernest Tubb)

-He'll Have To Go (Jim Reeves)

-He Stopped Loving Her Today (George Jones)

-I'm Not Ready Yet (Tammy Wynette; written by Tom T. Hall)

-It's Not Supposed To Be That Way (Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson)

-Can I Sleep In Your Arms (Carla Bozulich; from Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger; written by Hank Cochran)

-Sunday Morning Coming Down (Kris Kristofferson)

-Albuquerque (Neil Young)

——intermission——

-Sounds Of Night (Porter Waggoner and Dolly Parton)

-Sweet Heaven When I Die (Norman Blake, recorded live at McCabe's Guitar Shop)

-instrumental-not sure of title (Earl Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys)

-Friend Of The Devil (Grateful Dead)

-Bryant's Bounce (Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant)

-Snowbird (Chet Atkins)

-Guitar Happy (Joe Maphis)

-Buckaroo (Joe Maphis; written by Buck Owens; cover of Buck Owens and his Buckaroos)

-Why Not? (Hank Garland Trio)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bböp said:

Who's that guy? Yeah, I hope they end up doing another edition of WWR sooner than later, though I know it takes a ton of work to put it all together.

Anyway, for those jonesing for more Wilco radio, here's that link to the archives of Pat's excellent show, the Baroque Down Palace, from Memphis' WYXR.

And here was Nels' "Thoughts Of A Fool" set, as I jotted it down:

-Deep Water (Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant)

-Thoughts Of A Fool (Ernest Tubb)

-He'll Have To Go (Jim Reeves)

-He Stopped Loving Her Today (George Jones)

-I'm Not Ready Yet (Tammy Wynette; written by Tom T. Hall)

-It's Not Supposed To Be That Way (Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson)

-Can I Sleep In Your Arms (Carla Bozulich; from Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger; written by Hank Cochran)

-Sunday Morning Coming Down (Kris Kristofferson)

-Albuquerque (Neil Young)

——intermission——

-Sounds Of Night (Porter Waggoner and Dolly Parton)

-Sweet Heaven When I Die (Norman Blake, recorded live at McCabe's Guitar Shop)

-instrumental-not sure of title (Earl Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys)

-Friend Of The Devil (Grateful Dead)

-Bryant's Bounce (Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant)

-Snowbird (Chet Atkins)

-Guitar Happy (Joe Maphis)

-Buckaroo (Joe Maphis; written by Buck Owens; cover of Buck Owens and his Buckaroos)

-Why Not? (Hank Garland Trio)

This is great! Thanks for transcribing, bböp! I guess I did hear most of Nels' set, after all. His story about Willie recording with Carla Bozulich is one of those "who'd a thought" kind of tales.

So, how fast were you in jotting down that dude Paul Suwan's setlist? : D

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Lukestar said:

This is great! Thanks for transcribing, bböp! I guess I did hear most of Nels' set, after all. His story about Willie recording with Carla Bozulich is one of those "who'd a thought" kind of tales.

So, how fast were you in jotting down that dude Paul Suwan's setlist? : D

For anyone interested...

Paul Suwan's Guest DJ set:

-Misunderstood (1/9/03, Chicago)
-Hummingbird (6/8/04, New York)
-Kicking Television (9/13/03, Morrison, CO)
-Be Not So Fearful [Bill Fay] (fragment of unknown Jeff acoustic performance; referring to 5/20/07 show at Shepherd’s Bush Empire when Fay played the song with Wilco)
-Promising (fragment of studio version; referring to 5/7/2005 Vic show)
-Peaches [Presidents of the USA] (house music from 2/16/08, Chicago)
—intermission—
-Black Moon (3/11/12, Zagreb, Croatia)
-Love Will Keep Us Together [The Captain and Tennille] and Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy [Devo] (12/31/04, New York)
-Dreamer In My Dreams (4/6/10, Boston)
-Theologians (4/16/03, Chicago)
-The Lonely 1 (5/19/04, DeKalb, IL)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, bböp said:

For anyone interested...

Paul Suwan's Guest DJ set:

-Misunderstood (1/9/03, Chicago)
-Hummingbird (6/8/04, New York)
-Kicking Television (9/13/03, Morrison, CO)
-Be Not So Fearful [Bill Fay] (fragment of unknown Jeff acoustic performance; referring to 5/20/07 show at Shepherd’s Bush Empire when Fay played the song with Wilco)
-Promising (fragment of studio version; referring to 5/7/2005 Vic show)
-Peaches [Presidents of the USA] (house music from 2/16/08, Chicago)
—intermission—
-Black Moon (3/11/12, Zagreb, Croatia)
-Love Will Keep Us Together [The Captain and Tennille] and Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy [Devo] (12/31/04, New York)
-Dreamer In My Dreams (4/6/10, Boston)
-Theologians (4/16/03, Chicago)
-The Lonely 1 (5/19/04, DeKalb, IL)

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I used to have those two* from '04 on an old CD/drive that I lost track of a long time ago.

I only managed to catch the last song of Paul's set during this Wilco Radioooooooo stretch, and it was really great to hear again. It brought me back to when Nels and Pat were the brand new guys and the band became something new, but not different.

(*DeKalb, when I heard Hell Is Chrome played live for the first time and my mind melted, and the two covers from New Year's at the Garden)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...