Can We Talk about Politics & Stay Civil?

I miss talking about politics here, even when there were opposing views. It's too important a subject, especially lately.

How are you feeling? Personally I can't wait for trump to be kicked to any available curb, along with his sick, disturbed friends and cohorts. It can't happen soon enough. I'm so exhausted by....this.

• Like 1

I've got too much bad stuff (& 1 potential good thing!) going on to go on a rant but we're in deep trouble no matter which way we turn. I'll write more when things settle down a bit. Didn't want you to think you were being ignored @kidsmoke.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, chuckrh said:

I've got too much bad stuff (& 1 potential good thing!) going on to go on a rant but we're in deep trouble no matter which way we turn. I'll write more when things settle down a bit. Didn't want you to think you were being ignored @kidsmoke.

Hope you’re okay, Chuck. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, brownie said:

Hope you’re okay, Chuck. 

Dealing with a bunch of medical stuff. I had a MRI on my upper spine that caused a lot of excitement in doctor circles. Recovering from a round of chemo & had 1 minor surgery. Supposed to have 2 more "minor" surgeries soon. The second one isn't that minor as it involves a hospital stay & the words "bone saw" were uttered. Not a good sign. Right now waiting for insurance/scheduling & for doctors to decide who is going to do the surgery. All this is taking a big chunk of summer. The good thing is early days but can't talk about it yet. Let's just say Cupid may be around. ;)

• Like 5

I am amazed how many people in my life(red and blue) genuinely believe "their" party has their best interests in mind. These are peoples whos opinions I respect on most matters but when it comes to politics are so irrational and completely unable to think independently.  I lost faith in the entire system years ago. I know some people think this is a cop out and not voting is wasting your vote but supporting people you don't trust or like to me is worse.  In my life I have voted "for" a president just once...that was Obama's first term. All of my other presidential votes in my lifetime were my tiny effort to do my part to prevent someone from getting office. I live in a red region...I overhear more ignorant, baseless,  regurgitated "Don't tread on me" bullshit than I would wish on my worst enemy. I bite my tongue anymore because whenever I speak up someone immediately replies with "well you guys" implying I am a far left liberal. The middle ground is gone. Conservatives hate everyone and liberals feel obligated to like everyone(accept conservatives).  I feel like far less of a pawn by being disengaged. Being out of the loop has salvaged my  time, stress levels  and relationships with friends and families. This is the most politics I've talked in a couple years and its only because its solicited and somewhat anonymous. The timing of this thread is uncanny. By coincidence I watched 10 minutes of the national news last night for the first time in months. It goes from Mitch the Glitch McConnel literally having a stroke at the podium and being paraded back out minutes later to finish a speech to whatever the hell Hunter and Joe have going on. Impeach  the old guy, impeach the new guy, impeach the next guy....you sue me, I'll sue you. I don't think it will ever get better. I've told my kids don't believe a thing they say. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, sonicshoulder said:

I am amazed how many people in my life(red and blue) genuinely believe "their" party has their best interests in mind. These are peoples whos opinions I respect on most matters but when it comes to politics are so irrational and completely unable to think independently.  I lost faith in the entire system years ago. I know some people think this is a cop out and not voting is wasting your vote but supporting people you don't trust or like to me is worse.  In my life I have voted "for" a president just once...that was Obama's first term. All of my other presidential votes in my lifetime were my tiny effort to do my part to prevent someone from getting office. I live in a red region...I overhear more ignorant, baseless,  regurgitated "Don't tread on me" bullshit than I would wish on my worst enemy. I bite my tongue anymore because whenever I speak up someone immediately replies with "well you guys" implying I am a far left liberal. The middle ground is gone. Conservatives hate everyone and liberals feel obligated to like everyone(accept conservatives).  I feel like far less of a pawn by being disengaged. Being out of the loop has salvaged my  time, stress levels  and relationships with friends and families. This is the most politics I've talked in a couple years and its only because its solicited and somewhat anonymous. The timing of this thread is uncanny. By coincidence I watched 10 minutes of the national news last night for the first time in months. It goes from Mitch the Glitch McConnel literally having a stroke at the podium and being paraded back out minutes later to finish a speech to whatever the hell Hunter and Joe have going on. Impeach  the old guy, impeach the new guy, impeach the next guy....you sue me, I'll sue you. I don't think it will ever get better. I've told my kids don't believe a thing they say. 

I could have written most of this post.  I haven’t gotten to the point of not voting (don’t think I ever will), and I still keep up with the news (although watching Sunday morning political “news” shows is a recent deletion in my life), but I agree with just about everything else.  Even people I know who I generally agree with get defensive and argumentative when I don’t agree completely. So I just cut it out of my life some months ago and as you say, there has been a big improvement in stress levels and salvage of relationships.

• 2 weeks later...

I want the orange menace to go to prison and to spend his remaining days there because that's the best case scenario for the country. It appears that some of the GOP presidential candidates are becoming more honest in their criticisms of him. Why not? From the perspective of political strategy  I understand why they've tip-toed around him. However, they have no chance to win the Republican nomination unless the party decides its interests no longer coincide with his. That is extremely unlikely to happen. As such they should at least go down swinging. At least they'll be on the right side of history with regard to that particular issue. I sincerely hope that most if not all Republicans genuinely loathe him but are politically afraid to put themselves out there (although as someone who many moons ago identified as a Republican I wish they had the courage to dump him). I'm intentionally refraining from mentioning him by name because I find him to be wholly repugnant and can't wait for the day when he's an afterthought. For the record my opinion of him is based more on the fact that he's a broken, troglodytic narcissist than on his politics (although in my opinion he doesn't have any authentic political views - he's just a malignant narcissist who wants power and attention and is willing to say and do anything to get those things). As someone who nearly married a narcissist and who worked for a diagnosed narcissist for years, I'll admit to being triggered by nearly everything about him. And I know the destruction of which he's capable. I told a former colleague immediately after the 2020 election that he would not go quietly and that his term would not end well.   

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, jff said:

I'm scared to death that Biden's going to have a heart attack or stroke before the election.  If that happens, Trump wins even if he's in jail. 

I feel ya. Biden is exceptionally healthy for his age, so hopefully that continues. But there are a lot of terrifying scenarios for the next years.

As for Trump, he led an insurrection. He is not qualified to remain on the ballot.

• Like 2
On 9/15/2023 at 6:23 PM, kidsmoke said:

He is not qualified to remain on the ballot.

That doesn't matter to a majority of the people on the right.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, jff said:

I'm scared to death that Biden's going to have a heart attack or stroke before the election.

Same man, same. I don't think Kamala Harris is a very strong candidate either.

• Like 1