Wilco — 30 October 2023, Chicago, IL (Metro)

Well, since this one was filmed live from Wrigleyville, beamed via fiber-optic cable to laptops all over the world (?) and probably then chromecast — or whatever you call it — to people's big-screen plasma TVs in their man caves or patios, I think I only need provide recapping for one Albert Tatlock, who surely doesn't engage in any of this live-streaming nonsense (but might if it involved a far-off Welsh rugby match).

At any rate, Tatlock, I only have limited minutes currently to recount what transpired inside the walls of Metro tonight, where Los Wilcos played the final show of an extended run of shows dating back to early-to-mid August that Jeff called "maybe the most condensed period of touring since the early days." That grueling schedule left Jeff and his bandmates a bit physically and mentally worn down by this not-so-secret show designed to feature Cousin to a hometown audience — Jeff, in particular, continued to deal with his painful hip condition as well as a voice that was continuing to fray, as evidenced by his few sips of Coke on stage — though all of the members of the sextet performed to their usual professional level. If you hadn't seen this band, say, 30 times in the past six weeks, then you probably didn't notice too much out of the ordinary.

And I can report that, clocking in at 2 hours, 20 minutes, this was the longest show of at least the U.S. portion of this recent touring slate, which I guess made sense in a way since it technically was "An Evening With Wilco." Furthermore, judging by the different versions of printed setlists I saw, there was even more music planned (that unfortunately got scrapped in the end). One of the printed lists I saw from the stage, for example, featured a second encore with the "rock songs, etc." block of Red-Eyed and Blue, Monday>Outtasite (Outta Mind) and I'm A Wheel, but whether the band was not feeling it or the crowd didn't really warrant a second return to the stage, that final block never materialized.

More to come, but for now, here was the complete setlist, as played (as noted, a second planned encore of Red-Eyed and Blue, Monday>Outtasite (Outta Mind) and I'm A Wheel on the printed stage setlist was not played):

Infinite Surprise

Levee

Handshake Drugs

Pittsburgh

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart>

Kamera

Meant To Be

Side With The Seeds

Hummingbird

Cousin

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Via Chicago

Sunlight Ends

Impossible Germany

Evicted

Box Full Of Letters

Jesus, etc.

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

A Shot In The Arm

-------------------------------------------

Falling Apart (Right Now)

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

And here was the complete setlist for the brief WXRT pop-up performance earlier in the afternoon that wound up being open to just about anyone who wanted to attend (thanks to Cold as Gasoline for recording):

Infinite Surprise

Pittsburgh

Levee

Via Chicago

Sunlight Ends

Evicted

Meant To Be

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw, it looked to me that the band's guitar techs were defintiely setting up for a second encore during Spiders (at least on Nel's side), and the house lights took a few beats to come on after the first encore. I walked by the soundbooth on the way out and it also looked like everybody working back there was ready for more music. Feels like it was an audible from the band to end it. 

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, bböp said:

Albert Tatlock, who surely doesn't engage in any of this live-streaming nonsense (but might if it involved a far-off Welsh rugby match)

You've pretty much got me down to a tee there matey. And it would be proper telly not streaming even for that, as Welsh TV would always show it. Old school rules.

Ta.

• Thanks 1

As always, thanks for the report @bböp. It was a treat to see the new material in an intimate and venerable venue. I got aced out on the initial on-sale but lucked into a ticket yesterday when Metro released a few more. A Halloween miracle!

A few scattered thoughts:

I loved hearing the Cousin songs live. Feels like the band leads into the garagier and more experimental aspects of the album on stage.

Now that Cruel Country is no longer the most recent Wilco record, it's fun to see how those songs fold into the set and add some swagger and twang. (I will now be opening some kind of retail enterprise called Swagger and Twang.)

John's playing on Handshake Drugs was particularly effervescent.

Nels and Pat's conversational interplay on Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull was stunning. It's a unique thrill to see those two locked in with each other across the stage, sending and receiving these jolts of improvisational beauty.

Nels' solo on Impossible Germany cast a kind of hypnotic spell, complete with drawn out Theramin-style notes during the first section. Of course it still built to a frenetic crescendo. But the otherworldly vibe of the first part of the solo was perfect for a late October "Wilcoween" show.

Speaking of Wilcoween: Like a good trick-or-treater, I'm happy to get what I get. (Except raisins. Please don't give me raisins.) And the whole show was a treat! Still, I was hoping we might get a cover of Don't Fear the Reaper, which I first saw them play during a memorable encore at the Auditorium Theater on Halloween night 2004. (Wilco DID don costumes for that encore.) Also figured Hoodoo Voodoo could make an appearance. Or maybe Laminated Cat, one of my all-time faves to hear live. But in the end the show's vibe wasn't especially Halloween-esque, despite some moments of costume banter by Jeff and a few costumed concertgoers, including a guy dressed as a giant Whoopie Cushion.

And now a bit of a non-band gripe: The crowd entitlement at some of these shows can be disheartening. I'd been in my spot for 40 minutes or so when a couple guys made a fake show of threading the crowd as if looking for people, one of them stomping on my foot before deciding to stand right in front of me, so close to me that I would've had to step back to make room for him. I asked if he could please not stand right there. He said "We're still working on it," then took one step to the side and stayed there. He asked me if THAT was okay. I replied that showing up when they did, stepping on someone's foot without apology and squeezing into a spot that wasn't really there isn't a great move. His reply: "Your foot wasn't where I thought it would be." I feel like some of this behavior has become more common at Wilco shows in the past five years or so and it's unfortunate. In close proximity we're all gonna ruffle some feathers occasionally. But it's not that hard to exercise basic concert etiquette and avoid being THAT GUY.

On a related note, while the crowd was definitely into the show, it felt like they could've made more noise after the first set and again after the encore. I'm not assuming that's why the extra songs were scrapped. And I'm admittedly sensitive to this because I was once at a show at the Cap where Jeff chided the crowd for insufficient pre-encore applause. But it felt a bit like the crowd was treating the extra songs like a given. And sure, you're pretty much assured to get an encore. But it's still important to ASK for it. And if you ask enthusiastically enough, you just might get two.

All in all, it was a joy to see the boys play a hometown show, and especially sweet because I had completely given up on the prospect of scoring a ticket. I hope the band and the Wilcrew enjoy a happy Halloween, good travels home, and some much-deserved R&R.

• Like 8

Granted, I was in the back in the hallway, but I thought the crowd was awful.  A couple of guys almost got into it during Meant to Be and the amount of full on conversations during the entire show was stunning to me.  Was bummed not to get Soldier Child (and that second encore!) but overall I thought it was a really fun show and thought the new songs acquitted themselves quite well.  I thought the Impossible Germany was one of the more mellow versions I've seen and attributed it to fatigue.  Bird Without a Tail is so, so good.

• Like 2

Unified Theory - i was at that show at the Auditorum Theater on Halloween! I thought they came out to open the show all dressed as ghosts - the first song in the show was Theologians - with the lyrics "A ghost is born...." really hitting home with the costumes. But it was 20 years ago, so memories can be fuzzy!

• Like 2

@sleapman Maybe both? The ghosty kickoff sounds familiar. I also have a vague memory of someone in a devil getup for the encore/DFTR. The costume would also vibe nicely with Hell Is Chrome, though they played that fairly early in the set. Man, I loved the Ghost Is Born tour....

Wilco's Reaper has become a staple of our family's Halloween mix, both the 10-31-04 version and the one from the SSF all covers show (which we didn't attend due to our son having been born that morning).

Happy Halloween, VCers!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, sleapman said:

Fwiw, it looked to me that the band's guitar techs were defintiely setting up for a second encore during Spiders (at least on Nel's side), and the house lights took a few beats to come on after the first encore. I walked by the soundbooth on the way out and it also looked like everybody working back there was ready for more music. Feels like it was an audible from the band to end it. 

As a streamer, I commented to my wife how spry JT seemed on stage, given he's battling such hip pain...swaying back and forth, and even rhythm stepping left and right, shifting his weight to time. 

Then, as they exited after the main set, nugs cut to the stage right camera as the fellas filed passed, and I noticed a distinct gimp in his stride. Maybe the 'body moving' caught up with him and they launched Spiders to end it? (which was a great finish, imo) Either way, my wonderful wife received a new hip a few years ago and our family is acutely aware of the pain that comes with a spent one. Here's to Jeff for dealing, and Wilco for a great end 'o tour show and sharing it with the masses. 

We've had a great run in over here in WNY throughout '21/'22, between SSF/tour re-schedules and regular schedules, and it was really great to have a virtual seat in the room for one of these shows in '23.

• Like 4
On 10/31/2023 at 1:21 PM, bböp said:

That grueling schedule left Jeff and his bandmates a bit physically and mentally worn down

You must be a bit cream-crackered yourself? Hope you have a rest too and get a fresh jotter and the lead back in your pencil, so to speak.