Gary Louris & Mark Olson at the Troubadour 5.1.06

mark and gary were the only performers of the night. they started at 9p and played until about 10:45. they sounded FANTASTIC. the entire set, and encore were acoustic. they dug deep for the setlist, playing one song from their pre-jayhawks days and one from the maria mckee album they worked on.

i can't offer much in the way of a setlist...among the songs played:

nothing left to borrow

save it for a rainy day

two hearts

tailspin

sister cry

crowded in the wings

these men made gorgeous music. i never got to see the jayhawks, so i'm looking at this as a giant bit of luck. i'm going to see them again tonight. if i see anyone making setlist notes, i'll try to get some info. :lol

there was a guy behind me for the last part of the show who was in the habit of counting off the songs as they were played (2..3..4!), and singing along enthusiastically. oh, and he played a little air guitar, too. b/c i didn't notice this until late in the show, it didn't bug me at all. he was kind of rad, really.

now--abbreviated review b/c i'm meeting a friend for lunch.

collin, i'll see you tonight, right?

We were at the first stop on their tour in Tucson at the Rialto Theatre last Fri. night. Here's the setlist from that show.

Pray for Me

I'll Run Away

Sister Cry

Two Hearts

Over My Shoulder

See Him on the Street

Nothing Left to Borrow

Clouds

Settled Down Like Rain

Angelyne (with Mark singing too!)

Cotton Dress

Say You'll Be Mine

Miss Williams Guitar (!)

Precious Time

Save It For A Rainy Day

Two Angels

Encore:

December's Child

Tailspin (with Mark singing again)

Blue

Sioux City (Mark on dulcimer)

It's always a treat to see Mark and Gary together and to hear the beautiful blend of their voices. The Tucson show was the first, so I see they're adding more songs each night of the tour. We had a great time on our trip from Chicago out to Tucson!!

mark and gary were the only performers of the night. they started at 9p and played until about 10:45. they sounded FANTASTIC. the entire set, and encore were acoustic. they dug deep for the setlist, playing one song from their pre-jayhawks days and one from the maria mckee album they worked on.

i can't offer much in the way of a setlist...among the songs played:

nothing left to borrow

save it for a rainy day

two hearts

tailspin

sister cry

crowded in the wings

these men made gorgeous music. i never got to see the jayhawks, so i'm looking at this as a giant bit of luck. i'm going to see them again tonight. if i see anyone making setlist notes, i'll try to get some info. :lol

there was a guy behind me for the last part of the show who was in the habit of counting off the songs as they were played (2..3..4!), and singing along enthusiastically. oh, and he played a little air guitar, too. b/c i didn't notice this until late in the show, it didn't bug me at all. he was kind of rad, really.

now--abbreviated review b/c i'm meeting a friend for lunch.

collin, i'll see you tonight, right?

Pray For Me (a sweet and unexpected opener!)

I'd Run Away (beautiful!!!!)

Sister Cry

Two Hearts

Settled Down Like Rain

Say You'll be Mine

Angelyne

See him on the Street

Nothing Left to Borrow

Ann Jane (another surprise!)

Clouds (freakin awesome!)

One Man's Problem

Over my Shoulder

Precious Time (amazing!)

Two Angels

Cotton Dress

Tailspin

Crowded in the Wings

Miss Williams Guitar (what a sweet surprise!)

December's Child

Waiting for the Sun

encore: Blue

:thumbup

jcarlile1--Sioux City (Mark on dulcimer)

there was an out-of-the-case, and left-unplayed dulcimer on the stage last night.

maybe tonight! :dancing

added comedy bit: gary mentioned that they had a couple of live cd's for sale. he was embarassed about making a pitch, but at two times during the show, he lifted up the cd's to remind the audience they were available. :lol

I can't believe these two don't have the decency to schedule a stop in their hometown. :no

which live cd is it? Live at Women's Club? or Acoustic Duo? or Jayhawks Live?

they were live at women's club, vols. 1 & 2.

for the record: the set list on night two was a little different. still no dulcimer. rats.

also: i loves me some cotton dress. boy howdy.

are you the girl who executed the brilliant tuck and roll to grab the list after the show?

that was a rad move. :worship

are you the girl who executed the brilliant tuck and roll to grab the list after the show?

that was a rad move. :worship

Nah, I am unworthy of that woman's greatness. I think she got Gary's more legible setlist. I was the wannabe hipster that stood in front of Marc and just reached over and grabbed his setlist in the most ungraceful way possible.

Nah, I am unworthy of that woman's greatness. I think she got Gary's more legible setlist. I was the wannabe hipster that stood in front of Marc and just reached over and grabbed his setlist in the most ungraceful way possible.

Yes, but thanks to you and your snappy thinking and setlist-posting, I can now correct the several vaguely and creatively titled songs on the setlist I kept during the show! So I thank you. :thumbup

Sorry we didn't get to meet! Always nice to meet the locals.

Yes, but thanks to you and your snappy thinking and setlist-posting, I can now correct the several vaguely and creatively titled songs on the setlist I kept during the show! So I thank you. :thumbup

Sorry we didn't get to meet! Always nice to meet the locals.

No problem, glad I could help. :cheers

I really didn't have any snappy thinking, though. I saw that the set list was just within grabbing range when Mark first set it down and I realized that I might be able to snag it. From there on out it was all about boxing out the blonde to my left who was also eyeing it.

Yeah, I saw some folks in Wilco or Kaysettes t-shirts and I knew there were VCers in the room, but I'm painfully shy (I probably should have drank more, but then, the Troubadour should change less for drinks).

:brow

doris_day.jpg???

:rotfl :blush

i was standing to the right, in front of gary. were you the fellow in the corduroy jacket and heavy rimmed glasses?

on night one i saw a woman get shoo-ed away by the security guys as she crawled onto that extended bit of the stage to grab the list. i wonder if she worked on a more low-profile manoeuver for night two... :ninja

:rotfl :blush

i was standing to the right, in front of gary. were you the fellow in the corduroy jacket and heavy rimmed glasses?

on night one i saw a woman get shoo-ed away by the security guys as she crawled onto that extended bit of the stage to grab the list. i wonder if she worked on a more low-profile manoeuver for night two... :ninja

Ah yes, that was me (see above re: hipster). I think the Doris-Day-lookalike-with-longer-hair next to me caught Gary's pick (or at least picked it up off the floor) and crawled on the stage to get one of Mark's picks after the show.

i was wearing a black t-with a pic of bruce lee dj'ing on it, and standing to the left of the very placid guy in the white shirt and beard.