For those keeping score it's Pelham Blue.

Chao,

Hmm, I always thought it was a darker blue. Maye it was weirdness caused by stage lighting.

part of the reason why I started this forum is because just recently I have become obsessed with SGs. I am looking to buy one and have about $800 to spend. I was wondering if any of you all have any experience with them or know which models are best.

I got a epiphone "vintage g-400" last year and it is quickly becoming my most played guitar. It has a great beefy tone. It was only like $500 or so. It thought about shelling out the big bicks for a gibson, but this epi sounds awfully good, and for the price it is well worth it. You can add on a trem arm pretty cheaply if you want to be more like mr. tweedy

There was a burgundy one too, I think, but didn't Jeff smash it sometime last year? :unsure

Yeah he might have, I can't remember if that was the amp or the guitar that he ended up knocking around. In one of the DVD Volumes (number one 2002 Rockaplast). He throws one of Jazzmasters at the amp, which had been cutting out, though it looked like neither the guitar or the roadie who was standing in the path of the afforementioned guitar were injured.

--Mike

I got a epiphone "vintage g-400" last year and it is quickly becoming my most played guitar. It has a great beefy tone. It was only like $500 or so. It thought about shelling out the big bicks for a gibson, but this epi sounds awfully good, and for the price it is well worth it. You can add on a trem arm pretty cheaply if you want to be more like mr. tweedy

those 400 series guitars are a steal. for a few bucks, you can get the frets dressed (unless you were lucky enough to get one that was okay from the factory) and it'll play as well as a new sg. when the switch goes bad (as is common on pretty much all epiphone models), replace it with a gibson switch and you've got decades of play out of that guitar. nice grab!

I love my Epiphone SG. I put in two p-90s and took out the crappy ones they give you and it is a really really nice guitar and plays like a dream. I wish I could afford a real Gibson though.

Musicians friend is still selling a gibson sg classic for 800. It is like a standard, except it has two p90s, the round kluson tuners, and a dot neck inlay. I know I've been jonesin' for one. Pete Townsend!

Musicians friend is still selling a gibson sg classic for 800. It is like a standard, except it has two p90s, the round kluson tuners, and a dot neck inlay. I know I've been jonesin' for one. Pete Townsend!

I just got one and its a-nice

• 1 month later...
I love my Epiphone SG. I put in two p-90s and took out the crappy ones they give you and it is a really really nice guitar and plays like a dream. I wish I could afford a real Gibson though.

I've really come to appreciate the musicality of a good single coil pickup. I put a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (which is a P-90 designed to fit in a standard humbucker space) in my Les Paul, and I'm completely in love with the tone! Nothing wimpy at all about this pickup; it can get as nasty as any humbucker pickup, but it has much more versatility. I love the dynamic range of a single coil; it makes the guitar's volume knob a very useful tool in coaxing a wide range of tones. Humbuckers are much more compressed.

So yeah, if I was getting an SG I'd definitely go for one with P-90s. Or you can always replace the pickups, which I would do if the guitar is a newer model with stock pickups. Harmonic Design also makes some great pickups; they're handwound and made by a small shop in California. I have a couple in my Tele and they're probably the best sounding pickups I own, and none of my guitars have stock pickups. I've also got some expensive handwound Jason Lollars, and I think the Harmonic Designs sound better.

They've got several options for an SG here: http://harmonicdesign.net/allpages/gibsons.html#vp-90

A friend who has owned several SGs once advised me that one should pay close attention to the neck joint when selecting an SG. Apparently, a loose or malaligned neck joint can make the guitar reluctant to stay in tune.

my first SG was the brown faded with the crescent moon inlays - around $400 used - LOVE LOVE LOVE it - i've since got a real SG standard but really think i prefer the feel and sound of the faded over the standard - the fadeds are about $600 new and a good entry point...

the epiphone version of that gibson $2500 historic reissue with the maestro trem that came out last winter is suposedly not too shabby - for $2100 less than the gibson name could be a good entry point too.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing an Epiphone SG model. It was my first electric guitar and since then I have owned a Jazzmaster and a Custom Telecaster. I sold both the Tele and the Jazzmaster because I realized I only really play the SG because it plays and sounds so good and at around 400-500 dollars those things are a steal.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
part of the reason why I started this forum is because just recently I have become obsessed with SGs. I am looking to buy one and have about $800 to spend. I was wondering if any of you all have any experience with them or know which models are best.

If you save up more money, you can get a standard or a goddess which is a good guitar. If I were you i'd just spend the extra $400 bucks on a better SG then the one with the P 90 pickup in it.

• 1 month later...

I was guitar shopping in January and had a choice between a tobacco Gibson SG reissue (for about $875) and an '87 cherry red Gibson SG for about $650.

I ended up getting the '87. Best guitar purchase I've ever made. About the only thing wrong with it is some water damage on the headstock paint job, but it appears to be just a cosmetic thing. Love that guitar. I've also got a WildKat and a Gibson Les Paul Special, and I haven't gone near them since I got the SG.