Some recent Ryan Adams messageboard posts

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you listened to any of the three albums?

Yes. I have all of Ryan Adams' albums and have listened to them. IMO, and it's only that, I really liked Cold Roses considerably more than JCN or 29. I understand that every album is different and they shouldn't all sound the same, I just didn't enjoy JCN and 29 that much. I guess I should have phrased my post differently to not suggest that I thought the material was of less quality, just that I didn't care as much for RA's last two albums. I am however giving JCN a couple plays through at the the office today, just to see.. :)

edit: I assumed you meant the last three albums he released and not the forthcoming three...I sure haven't heard the new ones.

people bitch about this

I didn't mean to come across as bitching, and yes the Beatles were very prolific in their abilities to release numerous quality recordings in a relatively short amount of time.

Yes. I have all of Ryan Adams' albums and have listened to them. IMO, and it's only that, I really liked Cold Roses considerably more than JCN or 29. I understand that every album is different and they shouldn't all sound the same, I just didn't enjoy JCN and 29 that much. I guess I should have phrased my post differently to not suggest that I thought the material was of less quality, just that I didn't care as much for RA's last two albums. I am however giving JCN a couple plays through at the the office today, just to see.. :)

edit: I assumed you meant the last three albums he released and not the forthcoming three...I sure haven't heard the new ones.

See, I like Jacksonville City Nights much more than Cold Roses or 29. Maybe he should just have skipped 29, then. :lol

I felt JCN was a superior release to cold roses. I think A-man was the only person in america who liked 29

None of them can hold a candle to Faithless Street - but I like Love is Hell the best probably.

Stranger's Almanac also

Like The Black Crowes - this dude has much better stuff in the vault than he has actually put out. I really like thge fact that he has not turned his back on his alt country roots - unlike some other certain band.

I like the sound of Heartbreaker - and even some of the songs - but I have never worshipped the album like a lot of folks. I am content to listen to the un-released stuff that Gary gave me these days.

I like the sound of Heartbreaker - and even some of the songs - but I have never worshipped the album like a lot of folks. I am content to listen to the un-released stuff that Gary gave me these days.

some of the tracks on those are so superior to what's been released it does give one pause. the version of la cienga just smiled is heart wrenching. i just don't get some of the choices that are made in production and release.

some of the tracks on those are so superior to what's been released it does give one pause. the version of la cienga just smiled is heart wrenching. i just don't get some of the choices that are made in production and release.

Indeed. And there is lots more out there.

Josh Lemon Lyman > Ryan Jefferson Starship Double Album Adams

I don't get it.

also, rambling or not, if it's authentic, he's got some very valid points:

nobody is "better" than anybody else. records arent baseball cards where one is in better condition so its better. they are not fucking speed trial. people aare not erunning laps up and down a tennis court. its not football. its not sports. nobody wins and loses. bright eyes is conor. i am me. starship is starship. its ridiculous to think you could compare and contrast a painter with another or writer or musician. its just pointless. they are locked into their world view and your feelings for art aside, it will never be a collective expierence.

there is no collective consciousness. there is only your view. take it in.

and for the record, (ahem...) i dont like the if "he doesnt OD" bullshit. i do not drink or take drugs thank you and am happy to be who i am doing what i do because i love it. i have never released a record because i was fucked up or because of some drug induced idea. they take months to prepare after they are even mastered so its insulting beyong belief, and to be so blase' about something and heartless is just terribly cruel. how dare you.

everyone should have a chance to better themselves and be who they are and i didnrt see that before it just makes me sick to my stomach personally.

so whatever.

i enyoy sterogum quite alot. i will remember to disregard anything with my name attached to it in the future.

later sktr

Posted by: ryan adams at July 15, 2006 06:20 PM

now i agree w/ the posts that follow somewhat, but i also have always felt like Ryan does, in that people try and make music into some sort of competition or some tangible/measurable thing, you can't really do that with art, it's all about individual perception.