• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A week ago it looked like WWIII, now it just looks like more bullshit from an area that should be demilitarized by the world.

When I was in Orlando last week I rode in a cab with a young Palestinian driver. You can imagine that was a bit tense until both of us agree this is all bullshit and it is time for all sides to put down arms. Israel's response may seem over the top, but unfortunately it is a direct response to a threat that doesn't seem to be able to be controlled by the Lebanese government. This all sucks, particulary the fact that fire is being traded into civilian areas on both sides and resulting in death and devistation that doesn't have to be. This is a case of overaction on all sides, as per usual. This is a sickness borne by both sides unable to sort out any kind of non-military solution and client states that are unable and unwilling to reign in the terror. Either way you look at it, if you are being shelled by Hezbolah in Haifa or shelled by the Israelis in Beruit, it looks pretty much the same.

LouieB

A week ago it looked like WWIII, now it just looks like more bullshit from an area that should be demilitarized by the world.

When I was in Orlando last week I rode in a cab with a young Palestinian driver. You can imagine that was a bit tense until both of us agree this is all bullshit and it is time for all sides to put down arms. Israel's response may seem over the top, but unfortunately it is a direct response to a threat that doesn't seem to be able to be controlled by the Lebanese government. This all sucks, particulary the fact that fire is being traded into civilian areas on both sides and resulting in death and devistation that doesn't have to be. This is a case of overaction on all sides, as per usual. This is a sickness borne by both sides unable to sort out any kind of non-military solution and client states that are unable and unwilling to reign in the terror. Either way you look at it, if you are being shelled by Hezbolah in Haifa or shelled by the Israelis in Beruit, it looks pretty much the same.

LouieB

Nice post, I was kind of wondering when someone would mention that Hezbolah has indeed been firing rockets all over Northern Israel..... seems like every post is putting all of this on the U.S. and Israel

I wonder what the reaction would be if something similar happened here? Say Mexico or Canada crosses our border, kills a few border gaurds then starts lobbing rockets at us. Wouldn't some kind of retaliation make sense? LoiueB nailed it..."a sickness borne by both sides". NEWSFLASH!!! Jews and Arabs have hated each other since day 1 always have, probably always will. Also kind of funny that a bunch of people are calling for the US to sort this out....don't we usually get a bunch of shit for "meddling" in the affairs over there?

Nice post, I was kind of wondering when someone would mention that Hezbolah has indeed been firing rockets all over Northern Israel..... seems like every post is putting all of this on the U.S. and Israel

I wonder what the reaction would be if something similar happened here? Say Mexico or Canada crosses our border, kills a few border gaurds then starts lobbing rockets at us. Wouldn't some kind of retaliation make sense? LoiueB nailed it..."a sickness borne by both sides". NEWSFLASH!!! Jews and Arabs have hated each other since day 1 always have, probably always will. Also kind of funny that a bunch of people are calling for the US to sort this out....don't we usually get a bunch of shit for "meddling" in the affairs over there?

Are you surprised at all by this type of response on this particular board? It's about 95% as far left as you can go. Of course Israel is in the wrong because George Bush supports this course of action. If Bush condemned Israel when they first attacked, there would be immense support for Israel.

As for Hezbolah firing rockets: They are just innocent freedom fighters trying to keep the imperialistic Isrealies from stealing their land.

Are you surprised at all by this type of response on this particular board? It's about 95% as far left as you can go. Of course Israel is in the wrong because George Bush supports this course of action. If Bush condemned Israel when they first attacked, there would be immense support for Israel.

As for Hezbolah firing rockets: They are just innocent freedom fighters trying to keep the imperialistic Isrealies from stealing their land.

Nope not at all surprised........

I think children writing on bombs are much better than strapping one on their chest and walking into a crowded market to detonate.....No? :hmm

If the Lebanese people would not allow Hezbollah to operate in their civilian neighborhoods maybe they would not get bombed......No?

I dont know. Just a thought. Id love to stay and chat but I must go hunt down infidels.(anyone Christian, Jewish or non-Islamic militant)

wow, if you think that most of the people on this board are as far left as you can go, you have never seen extreme leftists.......

and Lou - you are spot on. It's a freaking mess.

wow, if you think that most of the people on this board are as far left as you can go, you have never seen extreme leftists.......

and Lou - you are spot on. It's a freaking mess.

Fine:

As far left as you can go without being completely fucknuts.

I think children writing on bombs are much better than strapping one on their chest and walking into a crowded market to detonate.....No? :hmm

If the Lebanese people would not allow Hezbollah to operate in their civilian neighborhoods maybe they would not get bombed......No?

I dont know. Just a thought. Id love to stay and chat but I must go hunt down infidels.(anyone Christian, Jewish or non-Islamic militant)

Does a person have to side with either? Suicide bombers = bad. Teaching children to write messages on bombs that will kill children on the other side = bad.

Why does everything have to be so black and white?? Can we not admit that there is great evil (or whatever you want to call it) coming from both sides?? It sure makes solutions and prospects for peace a lot more difficult when you don't knnow who to side with, doesn't it?

What you call "humanism", I call rampant anti-Semetism.

Let's just tone it down a little bit, ok?

Wow, I can't believe you're serious. I thought you were joking, at first.

Using your logic, anyone who criticizes the American gov't is anti-American, anyone who criticizes any government in Africa is anti-African, anyone who criticizes the Mexican government is anti-Mexican.

I don't suppose there are Israelis who'd be against this war. Are they anti-Semitic too?

I think maybe you're the one who needs to tone it down.

I also wonder about how US/Saudi relations will hold......the Saudis are trying to get the US to intervene and the US has basically said no.

Well, the only way we've chosen to intervene is to overnight deliver bombs and missiles, no questions asked, to Israel.

He actually is joking. :yes

Apologies.

Damn, that's some dense sarcasm. :dontgetit :blush

This article pretty much put it into perspective for me:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial...sts_not_israel/

That still doesn't mean we should wave an Israeli flag and praise Abraham or something. Both sides are at fault.

There are other ways to do this. Not killing. No one is helping each other.

The only real answer is development. Give the people the purchasing power to pull themselves out of this mess, so they can spend the money on survivable goods, not some bombs. Develop an infrastructure for them. Get their trade export:import ratio up. Get them SOMETHING so that they can trade, interact peacefully with the world, rather than blow it to smithereens.

I am not riding any fence......I desperately want there to be peace. That's my side. Now, how do we come to that conclusion? I have no freaking idea. But, continuing the cycle of violence isn't solving anything. *shrug*

The current equation in the Middle East isn't current as we all know. This goes back well before we ever existed and it will likely continue until well after we are gone. I wish I had some answers.

Fuck, people, enough with the leftwing/rightwing stuff. That's how this shit gets so bad in the first place.

I try not to take a side on this, because there's plenty of stupid shit being done on both sides. Hezbollah and the Palestinians need to stop using terrorism to strike back at their oppressor. Israel needs to stop acting like an oppressor. Which came first? Who started it? WHO GIVES A FUCK, JUST STOP IT.

It's an endlessly repeating cycle of violence between two cultures that don't want to compromise. Until someone or something manages to change the mindsets on both sides, the violence will continue. Israel will never be able to "win" this conflict, any more than Hezbollah, Hamas, or the Al Aqsa brigades will. There's an endless supply of angry people on both sides.

What's worse? One crazed fanatic blowing himself up in a market, or troops (and pilots) methodically destroying a country's infrastructure? The answer: neither. They're both evil, and they both need to stop. You don't fight terrorism by terrorizing. You don't fight oppression by blowing up innocent civilians out shopping for dinner.

Hezbollah and certain Palestinian factions are terrorists. The Israeli government are oppressors. They're both full of shit.

It does bother me that the U.S. government has always thrown the bulk of its support behind Israel, but not because I have anything against Israel or because I support their adversaries -- rather, because by taking sides the way the U.S. has, our government has actually helped to make the violence worse. Had we dealt more evenhandedly with the two sides, I strongly doubt it'd be the powder keg that it is today.

And that has nothing to do with who's in the White House. Democratic administrations (and Congresses) have been just as disastrous in their Middle Eastern policy as Republican ones.

It's an endlessly repeating cycle of violence between two cultures that don't want to compromise. Until someone or something manages to change the mindsets on both sides, the violence will continue. Israel will never be able to "win" this conflict, any more than Hezbollah, Hamas, or the Al Aqsa brigades will. There's an endless supply of angry people on both sides.

I'm thinking globalization is the answer.

It does bother me that the U.S. government has always thrown the bulk of its support behind Israel, but not because I have anything against Israel or because I support their adversaries -- rather, because by taking sides the way the U.S. has, our government has actually helped to make the violence worse. Had we dealt more evenhandedly with the two sides, I strongly doubt it'd be the powder keg that it is today.

You can thank Truman for that.