Jon Papelbon is the best baseball thread ever

If the Yanks lost Game 1 to the Twins, then I agree that it could go 5 and they'd be in trouble. I'm banking on them getting that first one (they've beaten him in the playoffs before, and he's far from unhittable).

I guess a season WHIP of 1.00 is "far" from unhittable, but it's pretty damn tough. :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess a season WHIP of 1.00 is "far" from unhittable, but it's pretty damn tough. :)

He's had other dominant regular seasons, yet only won 1 of his 4 post-seasons starts. The win was against the Yankees, but so were the other 3 that the Twins lost.

For most guys (i.e., anyone who plays for anyone other than the Yankees, or has been on the Yankees for less than a few years), playoff records all suffer from being a small sample size.

I'm not saying you can't read anything into them, I'm just weary of reading too much. I agree that postseason play is certainly not the same as regular season, but I'm not sure that you can really judge how good a player is on the post season based on just one or two series.

IF Rich Harden is at full health right now (can't really tell since he's been on a strict pitch count), then it's hard to pick against the A's, as they'll have the best one-two punch in the entire playoffs with him and Zito. Of course, Johan paired with a league average pitcher is almost as good as Harden and Zito, so it's tough.

I'm going to pick the Twins to make it to the WS, though. They've got a scary team.

Rich Harden seems fully healthy to me (knocks on wood). He looks good velocity-wise and movement-wise but is still a tad rusty with his command (but that is not surprising considering he's pitched just eight real innings since June 4).