i like it. i think I'll Be Your Baby Tonight should have been a country hit at the time. i love that song.

i think this album and BOB must have been big influences on Tom petty. Petty sings like Bob from this period and i want to say he's kinda adapted some dylan lines for his own lyrics. i'm going from Wildflowers alone, so there may be more.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And not to mix apples and oranges here, one of the best albums to use these same musicians is Thinking of Woody Guthrie by Country Joe McDonald...great album utilizing these same Nashville cats.

LouieB

I'm not too keen on that myself, it is ok, but I'm not a big fan of Country Joe McDonald's singing style. A few other albums worth checking out if you can get hold of them, involving Kenny and Charlie, are Area Code 615 and Trip In The Country, which are by their own band, Area Code 615 (they wrote and recorded Stone Fox Chase, which is the theme to The Old Grey Whistle Test). Another great album is Rig by Rig (another band Kenny was a part of). Also not forgetting that he was in The Stray Gators too.

Janis Joplin did a great version of Dear Landlord.

As did Joe Cocker

Wicked Messeger: One of the best songs on the album, I think, and still gets played in concert. Even so, it's a far cry from stuff he was doing just a couple years earlier.

Man you GOTTA hear the David Nelson Band's take on this tune...it RULES!! :rock

I think with this record the covers other people have done w/ the songs is probably the most important aspect of it.

Safely outside my top 10 (I probably have 30-35 LPs of Bob)..not likely to change

Scott

Man you GOTTA hear the David Nelson Band's take on this tune...it RULES!! :rock

I think with this record the covers other people have done w/ the songs is probably the most important aspect of it.

Safely outside my top 10 (I probably have 30-35 LPs of Bob)..not likely to change

Scott

Better yet, Faces version.

I'm not too keen on that myself, it is ok, but I'm not a big fan of Country Joe McDonald's singing style. A few other albums worth checking out if you can get hold of them, involving Kenny and Charlie, are Area Code 615 and Trip In The Country, which are by their own band, Area Code 615 (they wrote and recorded Stone Fox Chase, which is the theme to The Old Grey Whistle Test). Another great album is Rig by Rig (another band Kenny was a part of). Also not forgetting that he was in The Stray Gators too.
I have one of the Area Code 615 albums and have heard both and find them both kinda bland.

LouieB

I have one of the Area Code 615 albums and have heard both and find them both kinda bland.

LouieB

I personally prefer Trip In The Country than the first album, but whatever album you've got, if you don't like it, I suggest you sell it as it's probably worth a fair bit of money - the cd reissue certainly is anyway.

I personally prefer Trip In The Country than the first album, but whatever album you've got, if you don't like it, I suggest you sell it as it's probably worth a fair bit of money - the cd reissue certainly is anyway.

I think I have Trip In the Country and I never sell anything. I think I got it for a buck at a used record/book sale and it is the LP version. My main problem with it is it isn't much country really not that the musicianship is bad. I just always thought that these guys could cook up something better considering how good they are/were on sessions. I just think they aren't that great as writers arrangers.

Back in college I had a friend who had both of them. No idea if he still has them.

LouieB

Yeah, they are certainly nothing compared to the albums they've worked on with song writers. They are a bit like listening to something like Nashville West, which is good too, but Clarence White only really came into his own when he joined The Byrds and had some quality original material to work with. The good thing about these records though, is that you can study the music behind that late 1960's early 1970's sound and hear how it's put together without having the singer get in the way, and Kenny Buttrey is up there with Levon Helm as one of my favourite drums, it's also good to hear how Charlie McCoy uses a harmonica within a melody as opposed to simply as a solo instrument - that's something worth studying too.

I donno....somehow I can't imagine these albums were worth reissuing at any time. There is tons of stuff from that period that is far superior to them. Both the Baez and Woody/Country Joe albums have great songs and great arrangements (at least I think so) to hang all the playing on. I just never thought these Area Code 615 sounded that good even when they first came out. I don't even know if the Thinking of Woody was reissued on CD at all, I have never bother to check it out.

Checking on Amazon, apparently the Japanese think this stuff is good enough to keep in print as a compilation. (Based on the comments I am in the minority here..)

The Country Joe is readily available for cheap.

LouieB

I have a Buddy Spicher/Buddy Emmons LP that is pretty mediocre as well as another album by one of these guys which is slightly better. I also have a "Pig" Hargus LP that is also fairly mediocre. Alot of these guys really needed to stick to being session players unfortunately. That is where their real talent lay.

LouieB