Wilco and The Mars Volta have been my two favorite bands going for a year now without my ever being able to pick one.

It isn't so much that, but they are almost on opposite sides of the rock spectrum. Wilco creates pop and rock tunes with very human and genuine lyrics while The Mars Volta creates progressive rock songs with tons of complexity and lyrics that are abstract and extremely open to interpretation.

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE DAMNIT!

I was curious if anyone else here liked The Mars Volta at all.

I enjoy them.

Side note:

I was over at my dad's neighbor's house last night, and apparently, he was going to be their lead guitarist on their upcoming tour, but he's moving into a new house, and going through a bunch of shit, so he turned them down. That's why John Frusciante is going to be playing with them on this tour they're doing with the RHCP.

I've gotten bored of their albums but they are phenomenal live. The two live cds don't do justice to actually being there.

I've been a huge fan for a while now, but between college (I go to school as far into nowhere as you can get in Virginia) and random crap happening I haven't been able to actually see them! Same with Wilco, it's horrible. I'm hoping to catch them in the tour they are doing after the one they are on right now with RHCP though. I don't care how hard its going to be, its happening. I'm really excited to see their new drummer.

I've never heard them. What would be a good starter?
One of my best friends adores them and was babbling about Frances the Mute for quite some time. That might be a good place to start. To my (limited) knowledge, this is their most recent album.

I love both their albums, although it's not really casual listening music. It's the type of music that, when you listen to it, it's really got to be your main activity of the moment. If you try to do something else while you're listening to it, it's going to be distracting and annoying. But if you really let yourself get absorbed into it, it's awesome (drugs help).

Now I'm really confused...

De-Loused is their best starter. Stop being confused. Frances has a 43 minute song on it, are you ready for that? De-Loused is in general groovier and less avant-garde.

Their new album (september 12th) is probably going to be a good starter too.

But get De-Loused. I wouldn't necessarily buy it, because its not that easy to get into at first and some people never end up liking it.

You can always check out their myspace for a taste of their old and newer stuff, but just keep in mind that's not their best stuff.

edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=izNdWGTsBiE

Some people have music videos for their other songs too. This one is stupid though, don't actually bother watching it.

Edited by BobsRevenge
:yes

And all this talk about it not being easy to get into and not for casual listening is code for it "this album will sounds like shit."

I can't listen to ATD-I (too emo for my taste), but I find TMV's music absolutely hypnotic.

And believe me, once TMV clicks (assuming it ever does, and it does with most people who give it the chance) you won't be able to stop listening.

Edited by BobsRevenge
:yes

And all this talk about it not being easy to get into and not for casual listening is code for it "this album will sounds like shit."

Lots of people said the same thing about YHF.

If "easy to get into" is your goal just save your money and play the CCR albums you already own.

I enjoy them.

Side note:

I was over at my dad's neighbor's house last night, and apparently, he was going to be their lead guitarist on their upcoming tour, but he's moving into a new house, and going through a bunch of shit, so he turned them down. That's why John Frusciante is going to be playing with them on this tour they're doing with the RHCP.

I think John would mostly be playing rythme on the tour would he not? I'm sure he'll be able to throw some leads into the jam and i know he plays on L'via, but Omar is quite a capable lead guitarist.

someone also mentioned the departure of jon theodore their drummer which is a major blow to the band. He is one of the better drummers i've heard in recent years.

someone also mentioned the departure of jon theodore their drummer which is a major blow to the band. He is one of the better drummers i've heard in recent years.

Agreed. That guy was as important to the band as the guitarist. He was awesome. They remind me of Led Zeppelin.