jazz - where do i start?

I don't believe Coltrane was ever on Columbia (except as a sideman for Miles)....he was however on Atlantic, which are some first rate albums. His Prestige stuff is interesting as well. Coltrane's recordings are a cottage industry, with some rather off beat kinds of labels getting in the act. Heck there are even some cool live things on Pablo. I have not heard the Live in Europe Box set you refer to, but nearly anything live by Coltrane is worth a listen.

Always do your due diligence on a thread in which LouieB is involved. :lol

I meant Atlantic.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always do your due diligence on a thread in which LouieB is involved. :lol

I meant Atlantic.

Wasn't trying to correct you..but don't want the new fans going to look for those great Columbia albums that don't exist... :lol (unless you count the afforementioned Miles material.) I personally think the Atlantic albums are some of the best ever....not to be missed. Often times people talk about the Impulse material and forget about the earlier stuff.

LouieB

Wasn't trying to correct you..but don't want the new fans going to look for those great Columbia albums that don't exist... (unless you count the afforementioned Miles material.)

No problem, Lou. Glad you're on top of it.

I forgot that the ones I like (other than Impulse) are on Atlantic, not Columbia ... probably because I have some of that Miles/Coltrane Columbia work, too. I never remember what is on what label.

I do have most of that Atlantic stuff, and of those, I would recommend Giant Steps and My Favorite Things for everybody interested in classic jazz.

The Impulse stuff is a mixed bag, but for my money, almost all of it is great. The John Coltrane Quartet Plays is phenomenal, and of course everybody knows about A Love Supreme. Another great one is First Meditations.

The boxset I referred to in my earlier post is actually Live Trane: The European Tours, and that is indeed on the Pablo label. Sound quality is not as high as the Complete Village Vanguard, but for some reason, I find these recordings much more compelling. I'm apparently in the minority on that, though, if the comments on Amazon are any indication. :unsure

I do have most of that Atlantic stuff, and of those, I would recommend Giant Steps and My Favorite Things for everybody interested in classic jazz.

The Impulse stuff is a mixed bag, but for my money, almost all of it is great. The John Coltrane Quartet Plays is phenomenal, and of course everybody knows about A Love Supreme. Another great one is First Meditations.

The boxset I referred to in my earlier post is actually Live Trane: The European Tours, and that is indeed on the Pablo label. Sound quality is not as high as the Complete Village Vanguard, but for some reason, I find these recordings much more compelling. I'm apparently in the minority on that, though, if the comments on Amazon are any indication. :unsure

Those two Atlantics are must haves in my estimation.

I will check out the European tour. I have Afro-Blue live on Pablo which I have always liked. I have three Vangard LPs, all of which are good. I find it amusing that the audience sounds like about 20 people on them. Either the audience is unethusiastic or Trane just didn't really have a large audience in those days.

LouieB

Some players/groups playing today:

Ken Vandermark - plays with the Vandermark 5 as well as many other groups. Plays regularly in Chicago as well rest of the States and Europe. A bit on the avant guard (a term I truly detest that word) side. But also plays reggae, rock, etc....

Dave Douglas - Plays trumpet from NYC. (straight up jazz guy with at times some electronics thrown in)

Tim Berne (sax from NYC)

Chicago's own Fred Anderson - sax (owner of Velvet Lounge)- straight up jazz / avant guard)

From Europe: Peter Brotzman(sax - avant guard - blows very loudly)

Evan Parker (see Brotzman - but a bit different)

The above may not be everybody's cup of tea - but should sought out for a listen. Even someone who just beginning to listen to jazz.

Chicago's own Fred Anderson - sax (owner of Velvet Lounge)- straight up jazz / avant guard)

Fred is a great guy; I have spoken to him many times. The Velvet Lounge is a one of a kind place although I am ashamed to say I have not been to the new club which will sadly never have the ambiance of the old really dumpy one. I have not heard Fred play straight up in years. He is pretty much avant all the time any more. In fact I have seen him off and on for the past few decades and unless you call Coltrane inspired improvisation straight up, he does do some of that, but doesn't really do straight ahead at all; he is always on the sideroads.....

I mentioned this before, but he got a great reception at the Thrill Jockey anniversary show, to the point that he played a short encore, which was not something they had time for. But the mostly rock oriented audience really dug him and it was very cool.

Any one of his more recent albums (particularly those with the phenominal drummer Hamid Drake) are worth getting into. In fact he also has some albums with the aforementioned Ken Vandermark as well. (Nothing wrong with the term avant-guard; it does indicate that it is not for your more convential tastes. Nels Cline is very much avant.) Fred has been recording like a mofo in the last 10 years, putting out many many albums on Okka Disk, Thrill Jockey and Delmark.

LouieB

Fred is a great guy; I have spoken to him many times. The Velvet Lounge is a one of a kind place although I am ashamed to say I have not been to the new club which will sadly never have the ambiance of the old really dumpy one. I have not heard Fred play straight up in years. He is pretty much avant all the time any more. In fact I have seen him off and on for the past few decades and unless you call Coltrane inspired improvisation straight up, he does do some of that, but doesn't really do straight ahead at all; he is always on the sideroads.....

LouieB

I was putting Fred with Coltrane ,when I was calling it "straight up", especially when you compare Fred playing to Brotzman, E. Parker, and even Vandermark to a lesser extent.

The new Velvet Lounge is a nice room and of course it is completely different from the old place--- that old place, warts and all, was a great room to listen to jazz. The biggest difference with the new place is the guys bathroom. I walked in there and it was huge and very, very bright, a far cry from the old Velvet's bathroom. I do miss that tiny ass sink in the old Lounge's bathroom, though. Plus the new place was always non smoking, which was good, for me at least.

I did not make to the Thrill Jockey Show, it great that they gave him great ovation.

I

The new Velvet Lounge is a nice room and of course it is completely different from the old place--- that old place, warts and all, was a great room to listen to jazz. The biggest difference with the new place is the guys bathroom. I walked in there and it was huge and very, very bright, a far cry from the old Velvet's bathroom. I do miss that tiny ass sink in the old Lounge's bathroom, though. Plus the new place was always non smoking, which was good, for me at least.

I did not make to the Thrill Jockey Show, it great that they gave him great ovation.

The old mens bathroom at the Velvet was truly a hazmat nightmare.... :lol

Well everywhere is non-smoking now, that goodness.....

LouieB

Yesterday I stopped by a store near Midway Airport in Chicago that specializes in dance singles. Well I don't collect that stuff or even know that much about it, but the store was cool and I looked through the bins because sometimes shops like this have offbeat stuff that they sell cheap. Sure enough this one had a fairly beat up copy of Art Blakey Live at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 1. It was an original mono copy, I mean from way back. I also picked up a New Order LP that I didn't have (Brotherhood which is playing right now) and so I asked the owner how much for the Blakey and he said, 50 cents. I said okay and then he gave me both for 5 bucks (the other was going for $6, still cheap) including tax. I am sure he thought what is this old guy doing in here, but we had a nice convo and I felt like I got a bargain. I told him I would be back and frankly I will, considering the store itself is pretty cool with techno playing and inscense burning and turntables to check stuff out on. The album plays fine, with the amount of surface noise you would expect from an old LP,(even after a good cleaning) but it doesn't skip and it sounds pretty good considering.

Anyway that is just one story from the world of record collecting.

LouieB

Yesterday I stopped by a store near Midway Airport in Chicago that specializes in dance singles. Well I don't collect that stuff or even know that much about it, but the store was cool and I looked through the bins because sometimes shops like this have offbeat stuff that they sell cheap. Sure enough this one had a fairly beat up copy of Art Blakey Live at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 1. It was an original mono copy, I mean from way back. I also picked up a New Order LP that I didn't have (Brotherhood which is playing right now) and so I asked the owner how much for the Blakey and he said, 50 cents. I said okay and then he gave me both for 5 bucks (the other was going for $6, still cheap) including tax. I am sure he thought what is this old guy doing in here, but we had a nice convo and I felt like I got a bargain. I told him I would be back and frankly I will, considering the store itself is pretty cool with techno playing and inscense burning and turntables to check stuff out on. The album plays fine, with the amount of surface noise you would expect from an old LP,(even after a good cleaning) but it doesn't skip and it sounds pretty good considering.

Anyway that is just one story from the world of record collecting.

LouieB

I love Art Blakey Live at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 1., especially when the lady is introducing the band. she's hilarious.

I love Art Blakey Live at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 1., especially when the lady is introducing the band. she's hilarious.

The double hillarious part of it is her working up the crowd to see what is now certainly a very famous (and dead) group of musicians. At the time I am sure people were just acting cool and were used to seeing such folks come through clubs.

LouieB

I've recently been going to see The Deep Blue Organ Trio at the Green mill. I really am digging Foreman's B-3 leads. Any recommendations for some groups with an organ up front? All I have is a Shirley Scott album, which is good but laid back.

I've recently been going to see The Deep Blue Organ Trio at the Green mill. I really am digging Foreman's B-3 leads. Any recommendations for some groups with an organ up front? All I have is a Shirley Scott album, which is good but laid back.
Go with the Jimmy Smith on Blue Note as opposed to the Verve and other material. There are many many good Blue Note Smiths to choose from Live at Smalls, Home Cookin, Back at the Chicken Shack, etc. etc.

I have seen the Deep Blue Trio at jazz fest. They are quite good. Bobby Broom has been kicking around for years, but seems to have found a home in this group.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great-sounding torrent currently on dimeadozen:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=188878

LOUIS ARMSTRONG & BAND

Live at Musikhalle in Hamburg, 1962, April 14,

Source: low Gen. RADIO MASTER>trade>Flac

Sound: A+ (outstanding quality for that age!!, listen to mp3 sample)

LINEUP:

Louis Armstrong -tp,vo;

Trummy Young -tb;

Joe Darensbourg -cl;

Billy Kyle -p;

Bill Cronk -b;

Danny Barcelona -d;

TRACKS:

01 WHEN IT'S SLEEPY TIME DOWN SOUTH 3.42

02 INDIANA 4.36

03 A KISS TO BUILD A DREAM ON 5.23

04 MY BUCKET'S GOT A HOLE IN IT 3.22

05 MACK THE KNIFE 3.53

06 LOVER COME BACK TO ME 3.10 [Jewell Brown -vo]

07 BILL BAILEY, WON'T YOU PLEASE COME HOME 1.46 [Jewell

Brown -vo]

08 WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN 3.36

09 STRUTTIN' WITH SOME BARBECUE 6.27

10 NOBODY KNOWS THE TROUBLE I'VE SEEN 3.13

11 BLUEBERRY HILL 3.33

12 DER TREUE HUSAR 5.27

13 ST. LOUIS BLUES 3.56 [Jewell Brown -vo]

Notes:

1962 Feb 26 was a TV show in Berlin for US Army troups;

1962 Feb 27 Stuttgart, Feb

1962 Feb 28 Munich;

Maybe rent the Ken Burns Jazz documentary to get an overall of the genre? Too many different styles, eras, personalities to say 'start here'.

I started watching this last week and have only seen the first two parts but, who died and made wynton marsaslis the authority on jazz?

I started watching this last week and have only seen the first two parts but, who died and made wynton marsaslis the authority on jazz?
Ken Burns obviously...(as well as Wynton himself....)

As irritating as he is, he also does know quite a bit about the subject.

LouieB