jazz - where do i start?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many different types of jazz. I kind of approached it via Steely Dan and now I listen to Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Coltrane and Louis Armstrong from the 1920s. Like some big band and western swing too. It'll never be my favorite form of music, but there's certainly some good, life-enriching stuff out there.

A Love Supreme, by Coltrane, influenced many a rock guitarist. I bought it after seeing it name-checked in a handful of interviews in a Rolling Stone special edition on guitar gods. Great album.

i've wondered the same. i've heard quite a bit through a friend (fucked if i know what the music was) but i prefered the upbeat stuff a lot more... any ideas?

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

Good one. :thumbup

Coltrane's "Blue Train" and Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" are pretty standard suggestions for this sort of thing. That's where I started and they're still among my absolute favorites, but there's a whole universe of music out there and so many styles that it will take some exploring. Highly rewarding, tho!

Anything on Blue Note, Prestige, Impulse and a number of other standard labels are good.

PM me for more specifics. I think we need a FAQ on jazz somehow.

I would have to say that Waits is influenced alot by the "cool jazz" from the west coast, so artists like Chet Baker and Jerry Mulligan come to mind. Maybe some Errol Garner and piano stuff like that. There are lots of important and interesting jazz figures, some of which never get mentioned here. The usual Coltrane and Davis and Mingus (and Monk) are certainly important though.

LouieB

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

it got the ball rolling and crossed me over

The Coltrane on Atlantic is all good (My Favorite Things as well), then move on to Impulse.

If you know nothing about jazz and just want some general stuff, I always recommend the Smithsonian Classic Jazz collection. It is a great survey of most of the great musicians and representative numbers, from the earliest days, but not up to the present. I looked through the 5 disk comp that came out with the PBS Jazz series and it seems pretty good too and works closer to the present and includes some of the same material.

LouieB

Coming from the perspective of a jazz guitarist... my favorite jazz guitar album is The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery.

And then just in general, one of my favorite jazz albums is Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. You'll probably recognize atleast two songs on this album even if you don't listen to jazz.

Grant Green would be another excellent choice if you're looking for jazz guitarists.

Other than the greats above, Tenor Madness by Sonny Rollins is another. The new Monk/Trane at Carnegie Hall is incredible and some old Bird.

i think some of the compilations are quite a good start. There's sooooo much to choose from. Do you like instrumental stuff? guitar? sax? keyboards? modern? traditional? vocal?

If you have a lending library that has cd's, that's a perfect way to find out what you like?

Also, some of the 100 (or however many) best albums lists aren't a bad way to get some ideas...

Django Rheinhardt, John Coltrane, some Count Basie... some of my 'likes'

Here is a top 50 from http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/jazz100/top100.html that is pretty good. There is so much jazz and it's so hard to tell what you're going to like that I would just start with some of the obvious "landmark" CDs and see what grabs you. Lists are stupid and I could find lots of fault with this one, but this is as good a way to start as any.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - 1959

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - 1964

John Coltrane - Giant Steps - 1959

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um - 1959

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus - 1956

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out - 1959

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else - 1958

John Coltrane - Blue Train - 1957

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage - 1965

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things - 1960

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew - 1969

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch! - 1964

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' - 1958

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come - 1959

Louis Armstrong - 25 Greatest Hot Fives & Sevens - 1929

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil - 1964

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners - 1956

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby - 1961

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool - 1950

Charlie Parker - The Savoy & Dial Studio Sessions - 1948

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder - 1963

Oliver Nelson - The Blues & the Abstract Truth - 1961

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way - 1969

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain - 1960

Stan Getz & Jo

its hard to say what i would like because i really am completely new to the genre. like i said, Tom Waits is one of my favorite artists, and i've been exposed to some jazz influence via his earlier albums. also, i guess, Nels Cline has some deep jazz knowledge. stuff like that. i guess i should just get into the most obvious artists, the ones people are talking about when they say "jazz".

There are certain jazz records that, to me, are essential to any music collection, not just a jazz collector's. They include the above mentioned Miles Davis, Kind of Blue and John Coltrane's Love Supreme.

I also have the following from that Top 50 list, and they are all great to incredible:

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage - 1965

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' - 1958

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil - 1964

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder - 1963

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way - 1969

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain - 1960

Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane - Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane - 1957

Miles Davis - Round About Midnight - 1956

Miles Davis - Milestones - 1958

Dexter Gordon - Go! - 1962

If you're into the jazz vocal thing at all, I'd add that even a modest jazz collection would have to include some 1930s-era Billie Holiday.

From the list I posted above, I have and love:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - 1959

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - 1964

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um - 1959

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus - 1956

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out - 1959

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew - 1969

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby - 1961