Jay Bennet of Wilco

I was looking through Ticketmaster for Wilco and this came up:

Ryko Presents Elf Power, Jay Bennet of Wilco, James Kochalka, and Miho

Is it a little sad that he is still referring to himself at Jay Bennet of Wilco?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking through Ticketmaster for Wilco and this came up:

Ryko Presents Elf Power, Jay Bennet of Wilco, James Kochalka, and Miho

Is it a little sad that he is still referring to himself at Jay Bennet of Wilco?

How do you know Jay himself is repsonsible for that designation and not some promoter?

How do you know Jay himself is repsonsible for that designation and not some promoter?

That's very true, there was probably a promoter behind it, but couldn't they have thrown in a "formerly" or something?

That is basically where is star power comes from, his stint with Wilco. Since he's left (and partially villified [by accident] by Jones), he hasn't had a lot of success. So, in effect, regardless of whose intent it was, it's his only claim to fame.

Of course, Bennettians will bite my head off for saying that.

i just got this message in my myspace inbox from jay's page:

----

hi there,

jeff macklin here, jay's manager. thanks so much for the invite! it's always good to hear from folks from outside the US. although jay doesn't get much of a chance to check out his page, i regularly forward him his messages and he's always appreciative of folks getting in touch and sending their greetings.

this is shaping up to be a big year for jay, so please stay tuned. jay recently completed his new record, "The Magnificent Defeat," which will be released on Rykodisc on September 26th, and he'll be promoting the album with a tour in the early fall. i'll also be putting up new

songs here by jay every few weeks or so, so check back often!

thanks again, and have a great weekend.

jeff

For some reason I chuckled when I noticed on Jay's Myspace page that he has 2184 friends. I can imagine Jay looking at this every day to feel good about himself. :lol

Ummm....are you Jay's friend? :D

Mende,

I too, got apersonal note from Macklin in my questions about Jay touring behind his new record.........If I were Rykodisc backing this record...I would demand him to do as such. He plans an extensive tour behind this record....and may stop in town before Wilco ever will.

The New songs sound great.....and lookin' forward to the record as well! :music

-Robert.

i'm his friend. i'm also friends with bob dylan, johnny cash and wilco according to myspace

I love the idea that your cool w/ both Jay AND Wilco...it would be nice if you could broker a reconciliation of sorts :rock

I hate this thread already.....

Jay Bennett is a better musician and artist than anyone I have ever known personally, (and I studied music at a well known conservatory) , and f*** if I am not so sick and tired of the Jay bashing.....he was THE reason a portion of people are members of this site! Rediculous....how can anyone judge him, or not in the bottom of their heart hope that Wilco welcomes him back one day? (thougth it will never happen) Go Jay. Heres to your success.

:wub

I miss Jay every time I see old Wilco footage from jhamm. I wish I could have seen him perform with Wilco. But hey, life moves on and what is more constructive is to focus on what good things Jay is doing today. Yeah! And I listened to his songs on MySpace and they sound good to me.

So now I hope I can see him perform with whatever band he puts together in the future. :)

I miss Jay every time I see old Wilco footage from jhamm. I wish I could have seen him perform with Wilco. But hey, life moves on and what is more constructive is to focus on what good things Jay is doing today. Yeah! And I listened to his songs on MySpace and they sound good to me.

So now I hope I can see him perform with whatever band he puts together in the future. :)

Any footage in'99 through '01.........god I am simply amazed.......

--robert.

Jay Bennett is a better musician and artist than anyone I have ever known personally, (and I studied music at a well known conservatory) , and f*** if I am not so sick and tired of the Jay bashing.....he was THE reason a portion of people are members of this site! Rediculous....how can anyone judge him, or not in the bottom of their heart hope that Wilco welcomes him back one day? (thougth it will never happen) Go Jay. Heres to your success.

Jay....Is that you???

I was not bashing Jay in my previous post. I am a big Bennett fan....his time in the band are of my favorite years of Wilco. Great guitar player, I prefer his style to that of Nels. Very creative song writer when collaborating with Tweedy...I personally have never gotten into his solo/post-Wilco projects. I wish he was still in the band.

You're right. I doubt it could ever happen, but there is something deep in my heart that only wishes for a reunion of Bennett/Wilco. I always like Ken but I would stick with Glenn.

You're right. I doubt it could ever happen, but there is something deep in my heart that only wishes for a reunion of Bennett/Wilco. I always like Ken but I would stick with Glenn.

Me too. I never got to see Wilco with Jay Bennett, but he's so ultra talented and he contributed so much to their greatness and what they turned into that I feel like I really missed out.