What portion of your musical collection features rap?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, why wouldn't you go up and say hi?!

Because I was too shy. I didnt want to bother him and I had no idea what to say. I didnt want to look like or sound like some loser fanboy. But he had no posse with him. He was by himself. I snuck a pic with my cellphone. But I didnt want to get busted so i only got a shot from behind. Here is the pic, but its hard to tell it was him... I cant figure out how to make the pic bigger.

qtip.jpg

We made eye contact though. He knew that I was a fan. I suppose that was good enough at the time. But now, yeah, I regret not saying something.

You could probably have gotten away with A salaam alaikum (sp?).

He'd have been obliged to reply. :)

Trust me -- my head was spinning trying to come up with a good line. That was one of them, but then I thought that he would just roll his eyes and laugh at me if I did that. I was either going to drop the El Segundo line or tell him to wipe his feet really good on the rhythm rug. But then I just chickened out.

I know I wouldn't have ended up saying anything either. :cheers

I might have just gone up and said something like: 'hate to bug you, but i'm a huge fan of your work and just wanted to take the opportunity to tell you...so, props and thanks for all the good shit.' Most famous folks I have had the nerve to approach are usually cool w/ that. That said, it is always tough to get the gumption up to approach them to actually say it.

Either way, that's way cool Matt.

No idea where to put this so I guess its going here.

No joke -- I ran into Q-Tip in the Energy Kitchen on 17th street bet 8th and 9th Ave in NYC yesterday. He and I were the only two guys in the place. I thought it looked like him and then he whipped out his cell phone and started talking on it. Bam! Q-TIp talking on his cell phone 3 feet away from me.

I was thinking of dropping a line to the guy behind the checkout counter -- like not having money to pay and saying that I left my wallet in El Segundo, but then I figured that would be so lame. So I didnt say anything. I made eye contact with Q-Tip and I smiled at him. I think he knew I knew who he was.

That's probably my best celebrity sighting in NYC so far. Although I did see Mike Myers once and Pat Riley some other time. Simon Russell Beale too. Considering that Q-Tip was my idol from 1990 - 1993, I have to think that's my best sighting yet.

Rock and roll to the beat of the funk fuzz...

Wow...nice.

On a related note, I ran into OG Pat Hughes, reigning MC of all Cubs radio broadcasts on WGN, Saturday before the game. I gave him a pound, told him I enjoyed his flow and he told me to "stay up, young blood."

Pat Hughes and Ron Santo are the Chuck D and Flavor Flav of sports broadcasting.

• 6 years later...

I bumped this ancient thread because thanks to my son, I now have three Rap CDs in my collection.

Guess which ones.

Did I mention I own a few PE LPs. I own a few odd CDs incluidng Arrested Development and Eminem. Someone can take them off my hands any time.

I did see PE a few years ago at Pitchfork, that was kinda fun.

LouieB

Did I mention I own a few PE LPs. I own a few odd CDs incluidng Arrested Development and Eminem. Someone can take them off my hands any time.

I did see PE a few years ago at Pitchfork, that was kinda fun.

LouieB

"Them" all of them or "them the CDs? I would be happy to take the PE LPs off your hands any time. I've given up on aquiring/collecting CDs.

"Them" all of them or "them the CDs? I would be happy to take the PE LPs off your hands any time. I've given up on aquiring/collecting CDs.

Not offering the PE LPs. Those I like and plan to keep. Sorry. I have the first 4 I believe.

LouieB

Blondie - Rapture

Well if this counts so does:

The Clash - The Magnificent 7

Faith no more - Epic

Rage against the machine

I guess I have a bunch more than I would have thought.

I do have a few Roots CD's too.