Pole  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is this?

• A RTT

I just got into Rush a year and a half ago and I've enjoyed it so far :thumbup

Everything from 2112 (1976) up to Moving Pictures (1981) is just amazing.Every record in that run is worth checking out.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything from 2112 (1976) up to Moving Pictures (1981) is just amazing.Every record in that run is worth checking out.

Good to know. I think Rush unfairly gets overlooked these days for being full of cheesy synths and/or just for being "prog," which is too bad because they're a really good complex and tuneful band.

Good to know. I think Rush unfairly gets overlooked these days for being full of cheesy synths and/or just for being "prog," which is too bad because they're a really good complex and tuneful band.

The cheesy synths you speak of didn't really come into the mix heavily until the next LP Signals.All those others are primarily just killer 3-piece rock..kinda Led Zep playin' Yes chord changes (generally)..

The cheesy synths you speak of didn't really come into the mix heavily until the next LP Signals.All those others are primarily just killer 3-piece rock..kinda Led Zep playin' Yes chord changes (generally)..

Yeah, I've really liked all the rock stuff. Not that I wouldn't mind having one of those moogs myself :shifty

I saw RUSH during the "Moving Pictures" Tour......(1983). One of the best shows I saw....

-Robert.

I gotta say a word about my friend Ken.This man is as dedicated to Rush as any hard-core DeadHead is to the GD.Has seen a show EVERY tour Rush has played in Indy since the 2112 tour.Knowledgable,articulate..a damn fine person.I've been to a half-dozen shows with him myself.You go to see Rush with the guy & it's like a real good NYE :thumbup

When they did the tour in '97 or so when 2112 got played in it's entirety for the first time since god knows when we had ALL of us together from my hometown on the lawn...all the old HS buds,like a reunion or somethin'.A grreat nite.

I'm gonna hit the rack & hope that the next time I come back there isn't a shittrain of invective being hurled about. :peace

:stunned

Rocking out with people is always fun, sure playing music by yourself is cool. But nothing beats the feeling of cranking a couple amps up to 11 and just messing around for an afternoon or evening :dancing

Yeah, everyone was in the other room drinking, and since I have class in the morning, I didn't feel like drinking, so we just sat in these guy's room playing guitar. It was pretty fun.

:P

All I can say is I'll be very glad when this week is over, I'm ready for some serious sleeping in and being lazy and the like...

me too, but i have a feeling things may get crazy again, especially since i'm still getting crap about last weekend.

shakinstevens.jpg

Cardiff boy. My sister's best friend was once in hospital next to his mum. He came to visit, like the well brought up lad he is. His band was always spot on anyway - Dave Edmunds production etc.

Also who knew? The secret behind the green door:-

The truth behind The Green Door

Brian Boyd

Friday September 8, 2006

The Guardian

"Green door, what's that secret you're keeping?" asked Shakin' Stevens for four weeks on Top of the Pops in 1981. Jim Lowe also had a No 1 hit with the song in the US back in 1956, while in Britain Frankie Vaughan took it to No 2. One might have hoped the Cramps, famed for prurience and sleaze, might provide some answers when they covered it in 1981, but the green door wasn't giving up its secret easily.

The green door actually exists, it's on Bramerton Street, just off the King's Road in west London. If you take a look behind it now, you'll find it's a storage space for a nearby dress shop. So why did so many people feel the need to ask?

We know it wasn't always a storage space from the lyric: "There's an old piano and they play it hot behind the green door/ Don't know what they're doing but they laugh a lot behind the green door/ Wish they'd let me in so I could find out what's behind the green door." Even the code hidden in the lyrics - "Joe sent me", referring to Joe Meek, the gay record producer who oversaw Vaughan's version of the song - doesn't provide much help. As the singer explains: "When I said, 'Joe sent me,' someone laughed out loud behind the green door".

If you want to find out, all you have to do is rent a copy of The Killing of Sister George, the 1968 lesbian-themed film starring Beryl Reid and Susannah York. A 15-minute sequence was filmed behind the green door, which was the entrance to one of London's first lesbian clubs - the Gateways, known to its denizens as the Gates. A lot of its regulars appeared as extras in The Killing of Sister George. So the mystery then can be reduced to the simple fact that it is a man trying to get into a lesbian bar.

The Gateways closed in 1985. You would think that some sort of plaque marking the venue's small role in popular musical history might be considered. After all, there can't be that many doors out there responsible for a song charting in the top 10 on three separate occasions. And there can't be another song that has been played so widely, without anyone knowing what it's really about.

So, Shakin' Stevens - almost as legendary as Peter Singh, The Rocking Sikh

singh.jpg

http://www.aardvarkcymru.co.uk/singh.htm

The Rocking Sikh Peter Singh

Peter Singh, like many others who live within the boundaries of the City and County of Swansea, is completely off his swede.

Peter is well liked in Swansea and is reknown for owning a curry house on Waun Wen Road called Gracelands and for bursting into City Centre pubs at strange times (i.e. 12.08pm) totally bollocksed, acting like Elvis constantly and for coming out with memorable quotes.

One such incident took place a few weeks back when a group of people I know were having a Tuesday lunchtime drink in the Quadrant Gate when all of a sudden an inebraited Peter Singh bursts in, starts dancing and announces to the whole pub "don't worry boys I'm not a niggar, I'm one of you!" and then follows this by pulling up a chair next to my mates and doing non stop elvis impersonations and calling everyone that walked past a "bloody foreigner!?"

Interesting scenes indeed and makes you wonder what the UK/other countries would be like if more of the immigrants adopted Peter's attitude and whilst being proud of their own culture and heritage tried to adapt more to their new countries way of life. As the old saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and I'm sure if people stuck to this principle there would be far less problems in the world.

Anyway, here is an amusing article I found whilst researching this page. Thanks to whoever wrote it and involuntary allowed me to produce it here:

If you're sick to death of your average Elvis impersonators then take a look at Peter Narinder Singh!! He is the world's one and only Sikh Elvis

Impersonator.

He came to Birmingham back in 1955 aged just nine years old when he was already impressed by 'The King'. He re-located to Swansea and eventually opened a curry house / chip shop but his burning desire to emulate his hero remained.

So he gave it all up to pursue his dream, complete with rhinestone studded white outfit, diamante clad turban and belt with a buckle the size of a chappati and a Swansea accent, he embarked on his new career!

He has taken his act on the road along with his ever faithful troupe and they've toured eleven different countries and are slowly building up a steady following.

Presley songs that they've re-written include 'Turbans over Memphis' and 'My Poppadum Told Me'. He has very nearly bridged two continents with lyrics like: "I don't smoke dope, I don't drink Bourbon, All I wanna do is shake my turban!"

In the highly competitive world of Elvis impersonators, one thing is for sure, no matter what makes you rock, you will definitely never encounter anything like Peter again!! He might not be the only 'Memphis mimic' but he is certainly the only turban clad one!

Obviously you haven't spent enough time with this bad boy:

rush_moving_200.jpg

:rock

To each their own, I suppose... :D

I like Rush in measured doses. Saw them in 1990 - they were one of the tightest bands I've ever seen in my life. (INXS was too; not my favorites, but you have to respect musicianship on that level.)