absolutely, i neglected to mention that as an example yesterday. look, the reality is you will NEVER have a fully-realized adaptation of a comic book w/ live actors. 'sin city' was great, but there was no way you could truly replicate what the amazing frank miller art brings to the charachters/story. as long as you go into these films w/ that level of expectation, you have fun with them.

in other news, i'm reading marvel's 'civil war' TPB. it's enjoyable.

Well-said.

I had mixed feelings on Civil War but I won't say a thing until you're done.

Your avatar reminds me, I saw Ghost World before I read it and I think to an extent the movie ruined the book for me.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your avatar reminds me, I saw Ghost World before I read it and I think to an extent the movie ruined the book for me.

again, that was my original point. i had the opposite experience and enjoyed the film just fine. it's also why i'm now second-guessing my enthusiasm over rodriguez turning mike allred's madman comic into a flick...i love that comic so much that i'm worried there is no way a film version could ever work.

also, i had no idea you read comic books. sooie, nice catch. if she says she's up for a M/F/F threesome, marry her right away.

again, that was my original point. i had the opposite experience and enjoyed the film just fine. it's also why i'm now second-guessing my enthusiasm over rodriguez turning mike allred's madman comic into a flick...i love that comic so much that i'm worried there is no way a film version could ever work.

also, i had no idea you read comic books. sooie, nice catch. if she says she's up for a M/F/F threesome, marry her right away.

Completely pulling this out of my ass without doing any research, I think the faithfulness of the movie to the book has a lot to do with the director's willingness/ability to consult with the comic's creator(s), to share creative control, whose hands are tied and how, budget, film company, target audience, etc etc. Sure, some things may never work as a film, but I don't think directors would set out to completely trash a book's vision on purpose.

I do read comics once in awhile, but not as much as I used to. I'm not terribly well-versed, but I did force the library to buy a lot of the big graphic novels (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, V,) and was prepared to argue them to both the art bibliographer and the literature bibliographer until someone ponied up the money from their book funds. I figured the collection's gotta start somewhere.

Completely pulling this out of my ass without doing any research, I think the faithfulness of the movie to the book has a lot to do with the director's willingness/ability to consult with the comic's creator(s), to share creative control, whose hands are tied and how, budget, film company, target audience, etc etc. Sure, some things may never work as a film, but I don't think directors would set out to completely trash a book's vision on purpose.

I do read comics once in awhile, but not as much as I used to. I'm not terribly well-versed, but I did force the library to buy a lot of the big graphic novels (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, V,) and was prepared to argue them to both the art bibliographer and the literature bibliographer until someone ponied up the money from their book funds. I figured the collection's gotta start somewhere.

nope, i think that is pretty dead on...but taking it one step further, the studio itself has to buy into that relationship as well. i think they finally have started to realize just how much of a relationship alot of their 'target demographic' have w/ these charchters/properties.

and, thanks to my local library, i'm covering major ground in catching up. i'm digesting about 4-5 graphic novels/collected storylines a week. good for you!

nope, i think that is pretty dead on...but taking it one step further, the studio itself has to buy into that relationship as well. i think they finally have started to realize just how much of a relationship alot of their 'target demographic' have w/ these charchters/properties.

Tell that to the people running the Punisher franchise.

totally. that new one looks like garbage. the Thomas Jane movie, had enough good stuff in it, that I'd hoped he was going to star in a sequel. tough luck I guess.

i didn't really like the jane one either, but yeah...that new one looks really bad. shame too, i liked jigsaw in the actual comic.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone check out that new Kingdom Come spin off? I saw issues 1 and 2 at the book store but didn't have time to check them out. does it pick-up where the original KC left off? I know Alex Ross was opposed to the first sequel, The Kingdom, so would be interesting to find out what this new one is about.

anyone check out that new Kingdom Come spin off? I saw issues 1 and 2 at the book store but didn't have time to check them out. does it pick-up where the original KC left off? I know Alex Ross was opposed to the first sequel, The Kingdom, so would be interesting to find out what this new one is about.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Thy_Kingdom_Come

thanks, but I think I'm more confused, lol. *** SPOILER for those who haven't read Kingdom Come*** if this is supposed to be the sequel, then why are the heroes still in their costumes? I thought they took a vow to live side by side with humans as equals in the original Kingdom Come?

it looks like there are going to be a few one-shot issues coming out next year, including this one dedicated to Superman with a bitchin' cover Ross designed ages ago that was never used:

148531_20081114215239_large.jpg

can't wait to get caught up on this series... B)

other than the older Superman, these aren't the heroes from Kingdom Come. those one shots are already out and what we've learned is Starman (from our Earth) pulled KC Superman away from Earth-22 (KC Earth) at the exact moment the nuke went off in the original KC series. So KC Superman is "here", dealing with our heroes, and trying to stop what happened on his earth from happening here.

i both love and hate those alex ross covers...they are fantastic, but then 9/10 the actual art inside is so weak in comparison.

BTW, read the first TPB for miller's all-star batman (awesome), azarello's new-ish joker graphic novel (awsome as well) and i'm 1/2 way through vol. 1 of the 52 TPB's.

i both love and hate those alex ross covers...they are fantastic, but then 9/10 the actual art inside is so weak in comparison.

BTW, read the first TPB for miller's all-star batman (awesome), azarello's new-ish joker graphic novel (awsome as well) and i'm 1/2 way through vol. 1 of the 52 TPB's.

yeah, that's a huge problem with comics today, the cover artist is almost 90% of the time not doing the interior art. Personally, I don't mind it but, I can see how it could be a turn off to some folks.

Allstar Batman - oof! I think you're the first person I know who likes it.

Joker by Azzarello - incredible. the guy can do no wrong. check out his Hellblazer run (all collected in TPB) and 100 Bullets

52 was awesome.

other than the older Superman, these aren't the heroes from Kingdom Come. those one shots are already out and what we've learned is Starman (from our Earth) pulled KC Superman away from Earth-22 (KC Earth) at the exact moment the nuke went off in the original KC series. So KC Superman is "here", dealing with our heroes, and trying to stop what happened on his earth from happening here.

wow, sounds great! thanks for explaining this to me. now I need to track down all of these back issues. are the one shots included in the 2 TPB that have recently been released, or should I track them down separately?

anyone know of a good X-Men graphic novel for a X-Men comic book beginner? I would like to start reading something besides Superman or Batman but don't wanna pick-up a book that is taking place between another book that picks up where a previous story left off, ya know? thanks!

wow, sounds great! thanks for explaining this to me. now I need to track down all of these back issues. are the one shots included in the 2 TPB that have recently been released, or should I track them down separately?

the first TPB containing issues 7-12 is out. the 2nd one containing 13-18 gets released on 12/16/08. the one shots just came out over the course of the last few weeks, so you should be able to find those, issues 19 and 20 of Justice Society and Justice Society Annual #1 at a local comic shop.

anyone know of a good X-Men graphic novel for a X-Men comic book beginner? I would like to start reading something besides Superman or Batman but don't wanna pick-up a book that is taking place between another book that picks up where a previous story left off, ya know? thanks!

for x-men stuff, I would check out X-factor starting with X-Factor Vol. 0: Madrox - Multiple Choice

Astonishing X-men Vol 1 - Gifted

Uncanny X-Men: Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire

and

X-Men: Emperor Vulcan

also, there's an incredible storyline running in Wolverine right now, called Old Man Logan. I posted some info about it earlier in this thread.

:cheers

Oh god, please read Watchmen before seeing the movie. I'm pleading for you, not for me. I'd also suggest everybody join me in just skipping the movie, since it looks like an utter travesty. (See also: From Hell, V For Vendetta, "LXG") Sloooooooow moooooo! Smashing Pumpkins! Set and costume design that completely misses the point! A threatening looking Adrian Veidt whose general comportment alone blows the fucking ending! Ugh. 300 was awful; this thing will be an abomination.

If Alan Moore doesn't want me to see it, I ain't seeing it. 300 seriously offended me. Leni Riefenstahl would have LOVED it.

• 3 weeks later...

any Crisis fans here? I'm finally getting around to reading the series but have been confronted with a problem. somehow, I misplaced, or prolly threw out, that Legends of the DCU special Crisis issue I owned, now I'm in dire need of finding out what happened in it! I've searched online and have only found a character breakdown of the issue. any help would be appreciated. :yes

any Crisis fans here? I'm finally getting around to reading the series but have been confronted with a problem. somehow, I misplaced, or prolly threw out, that Legends of the DCU special Crisis issue I owned, now I'm in dire need of finding out what happened in it! I've searched online and have only found a character breakdown of the issue. any help would be appreciated. :yes

which 'crisis'? infinite...countdown...final? i can't keep them straight and i've only read infinite and all the special tie-ins so far. :lol

no shit. i finished 'identity' crisis last week...good stuff, but would have been much better had i not already read '52'. i'll probaby check out 'countdown to' after the holiday.

stay away from countdown. it was a colossal mess. the current Trinity series is really good though.