• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

And I'll add this one to another long line of threads I have killed.

But in all seriousness...I have been going through some of the extra Civil War stuff. I've read the Spiderman collection as well as the Iron Man collection. Good stuff.

And I'll add this one to another long line of threads I have killed.

But in all seriousness...I have been going through some of the extra Civil War stuff. I've read the Spiderman collection as well as the Iron Man collection. Good stuff.

I didn't read those, but I kept up with Captain America during Civil War, and the stuff that rolled out during that storyline was fantastic.

For music and comic book heads alike, Image just released a 10th anniversary edition of Mike Allred's 'Red Rocket 7' in both a 45-sized TPB and hardback limited-edition:

RED_ROCKET_7_baixa.jpg

Kind of a sci-fi spin on the origins of rock'n'roll...

Fleeing a distant planet and the marauding extra-terrestrial conquerors taking it over, the original Red Rocket crash-lands on earth. Near death, his robot guard made six clones to ensure that his lineage would continue. Each was imbued with a special aspect of the original's personality. Beginning in the mid-'50s and continuing on into the future, Seven wanders through the history of rock 'n' roll. Life isn't just a party, though, because the evil Enfinites are on his heels the entire time.

Finally got my copy today. Beautiful stuff.

• 1 month later...
BTW, tully, i plowed through the 'infinite crisis' trade last night and got half way through 'trinity' (my library had a HUGE graphic novel section)...it's safe to say, contrary to growing up a marvel guy, i'm reading WAY more DC stuff as i've gotten back into comics. also, devoured volume I and II of the innvincible ultimate collections. jesus, what a great comic.

Infinite Crisis catches a lot of shit from whiny internet fanboys, but I loved it. the only thing about the bound version I didn';t like, was they made some editorial changes that kind of impacted the story. but they were minor, so it's no big deal.

are you talking about the Matt Wagner "Trinity", or the current weekly series?

Infinite Crisis catches a lot of shit from whiny internet fanboys, but I loved it. the only thing about the bound version I didn';t like, was they made some editorial changes that kind of impacted the story. but they were minor, so it's no big deal.

are you talking about the Matt Wagner "Trinity", or the current weekly series?

sorry, yes, the wagner 'trinity'. nice little book. love the art.

surprisingly, i enjoyed that infinite crisis a lot more than i thought i would...those big 'event' type-series scare the shit out of me after being away for so long. i was pretty haphazard at following storylines when i did read the things...i bought/read the entire original secret wars and read x-men through the entire morlock, demon thing and brood storylines...that's about it.

I used to read Eightball, all the time. Young Dan Pussey was great. I also liked the Laughin' Spittin' Man.

if you're looking for some laughs, hunt down some Stickboy, and Steven

i actually came across a download of the fantagraphics trade for '20th Century Eightball' yesterday. i'm still going to buy it, i love his stuff. did a review of the new special edition ghost world on my blog yesterday.

i bought the trade for 'milk and cheese' a few weeks ago, fun stuff. i'll check out those others.

so, i finally bought 'watchmen'...new hardcover version that was on sale for 40%. i'm not going to read it until after i see the movie though...i feel the other way around will just be dissapointing.

I think the movie's going to be dissapointing no matter what.

I still need to read this though. Just need to find it, neither Barnes and Noble by my house has it.

Oh god, please read Watchmen before seeing the movie. I'm pleading for you, not for me. I'd also suggest everybody join me in just skipping the movie, since it looks like an utter travesty. (See also: From Hell, V For Vendetta, "LXG") Sloooooooow moooooo! Smashing Pumpkins! Set and costume design that completely misses the point! A threatening looking Adrian Veidt whose general comportment alone blows the fucking ending! Ugh. 300 was awful; this thing will be an abomination.

I think the movie's going to be dissapointing no matter what.

I still need to read this though. Just need to find it, neither Barnes and Noble by my house has it.

noted, but i'll still give it the benefit of the doubt until i actually see it.

that's insane, all the borders and barnes/nobles up here have like 100 copies of it strewn about all over the store. seriously though, i would not read it prior...film adaptations of books (comic or otherwise) never seem to live up to the original. however, if you don't how good the book is...you may actually enjoy the movie on it's own merits. also, i'm insane w/ the rules i have for myself on how i consume different forms of media/literature, so don't listen to me.

Oh god, please read Watchmen before seeing the movie. I'm pleading for you, not for me. I'd also suggest everybody join me in just skipping the movie, since it looks like an utter travesty. (See also: From Hell, V For Vendetta, "LXG") Sloooooooow moooooo! Smashing Pumpkins! Set and costume design that completely misses the point! A threatening looking Adrian Veidt whose general comportment alone blows the fucking ending! Ugh. 300 was awful; this thing will be an abomination.

now i'm definitely not reading the book prior.

I liked V. My husband loved it, and the novel is one of his favorite books of all time. He even wrote a song called "Ideas Are Bulletproof" and named an album after it, which is a line from the book. So yeah. I don't know what that has to do with anything other than I liked the movie. :lol

sweet. you two can not go see the movie together. i thought 300 and V for V were entertaining enough...that said, i haven't actually read either book yet. thus, my original point.

plus, mr. subjective, this is all subjective.

How does it feel to be so wrong about something?

I guess I should add, since people are shilling things all over the place, that The Pist's Ideas Are Bulletproof has been reissued and is for sale from Havoc Records as well as a double LP/CD discography. Limited colored vinyl. Get 'em while they last.

:P

so, i finally bought 'watchmen'...new hardcover version that was on sale for 40%. i'm not going to read it until after i see the movie though...i feel the other way around will just be dissapointing.

I'm reading Watchmen right now at my brother's encouragement. He was really excited when the trailer came out because he said it looked and sounded true to the book.

fwiw, I thought Sin City was well-adapted to the screen.

fwiw, I thought Sin City was well-adapted to the screen.

absolutely, i neglected to mention that as an example yesterday. look, the reality is you will NEVER have a fully-realized adaptation of a comic book w/ live actors. 'sin city' was great, but there was no way you could truly replicate what the amazing frank miller art brings to the charachters/story. as long as you go into these films w/ that level of expectation, you have fun with them.

in other news, i'm reading marvel's 'civil war' TPB. it's enjoyable.