Are there any adult comic book readers out there? I stopped reading in my early teens a decade ago, but I've recently gotten the urge to start again.

Does anyone have any recommendations of comics written for adult audiences? I have no interest in caped crime fighters, and there seem to be so many titles anymore that I don't know where to start.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

okay, for the first time in what seems like a mazillion years, I went into a legitimate comic book store over lunch and really spent some time browsing. i'm not really looking to get into a series per say, but I did see a few graphic novels/hardbound collections that piqued my interest. most notably...

51%20HIZ0pQFL._SS500_.jpg2e96228348a065d98b611110.L.jpg

I sat down and read the entire 'Kingdom Come' novel at Tower before it closed and really dug it. So, can anybody...

A. Tell me if that 'Justice' is worth picking up.

B. Give me any other graphic novels worth looking into.

I'm a Marvel guy for the most part, but it seems like DC is churning out better full-fledged novels...like the Dark Knight stuff and the Kingdom Come thing. Tully, i'm looking at you here, brother.

A. Tell me if that 'Justice' is worth picking up.

B. Give me any other graphic novels worth looking into.

I'm a Marvel guy for the most part, but it seems like DC is churning out better full-fledged novels...like the Dark Knight stuff and the Kingdom Come thing. Tully, i'm looking at you here, brother.

Justice is great.

also, on the DC/Vertigo front, you can't go wrong with Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Loveless and Y The Last Man.

but being that you're more of a Marvel guy, you should check out:

51XGbn29C7L._SS500_.jpg

Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk

51MkNbeFuhL._SS500_.jpg

Captain America by Ed Brubaker Omnibus, Vol. 1

51BlyHmUiRL._SS500_.jpg

Immortal Iron Fist Vol. 1: The Last Iron Fist Story

41L4FeIRoVL._SS500_.jpg

Agents of Atlas

all of these, especially Planet Hulk and Brubaker's Captain America, are some of the best stuff Marvel's done in years.

I haven't kept up with comics, but at the time, I though Miller's first Dark Knight series was the greatest thing ever. Really really liked the Miller/Sientiewicz Elektra: Assassin, and Miller's Batman: Year One and Daredevil work. I also like Alan Moore a lot - V for Vendetta, Watchmen and his Swamp Thing work I looooved. I have the first 20 or so issues of Hellblazer, which are great as well. Other faves include Marshal Law, the old Dr. Fate and Shazam miniseries, Dr. Strange, and others.