• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Jack Kirby biographer is on Fresh Air on NPR today. Link

Cool! Thanks for posting up.

Speaking of Kirby, anybody who's a fan should grab this:

kirbyfiveoh.jpg

It's the 50th issue of The Jack Kirby Collector, a double-size softcover BOOK instead of the regular magazine. The book spotlights the 50 Best of Everything from Jack Kirby's 50-year career in comics, including his 50 best stories, 50 best character designs, 50 best examples of unpublished art and more. It's really fucking sharp.

Also speaking of Kirby, I bought my first two legitimate trade collections in umpteen years:

2d75808a8da0b94481628110.L.jpg51ak9tFNoxL._SS500_.jpg

Borrows heavily from both Kirby's art and storylines...but does such a good job of it, you don't really care it's kind of ripping him off. It's kind of how I like Oasis for what they do...ripping off major elements of the Beatles, but doing it so well I can't help but enjoy it.

I had my local comic shop order Volume 3 and Volume 4 comes out later this Summer. Much easier for me to be behind on a lot of the stuff and just wait for nice encapsulation...I don't have the time or money to keep up w/ monthly issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as an aside, i've gone on a charlie-sheen-esque bender of comics lately...mostly older mike allred stuff (madman, the atomics, x-statix), but i also picked up the 'kingdom come' paperback trade, beto hernandez's 'girl crazy' trade, those 'godland' trades i posted earlier, i asked for the fancy schmancy hardbound 'final frontier' for father's day and i've been picking up wizard magazine every time a new one comes out.

it's bad...this is way too expensive of a way to keep myself busy.

as an aside, i've gone on a charlie-sheen-esque bender of comics lately...mostly older mike allred stuff (madman, the atomics, x-statix), but i also picked up the 'kingdom come' paperback trade, beto hernandez's 'girl crazy' trade, those 'godland' trades i posted earlier, i asked for the fancy schmancy hardbound 'final frontier' for father's day and i've been picking up wizard magazine every time a new one comes out.

it's bad...this is way too expensive of a way to keep myself busy.

you should get a subscription to Wizard, it'd save you some money. also, if you're looking for a cheaper way to get back into comics, check out In Stock Trades and Discount Comic Book Service, both sites offer huge savings.

you should get a subscription to Wizard, it'd save you some money. also, if you're looking for a cheaper way to get back into comics, check out In Stock Trades and Discount Comic Book Service, both sites offer huge savings.

whoa. nice! there is a shop ut here in the burbs that offers 25% of all novels/trades every day, but some of the deals on those sites are freaking killer. thanks!

yeah, i'm thinking a wizard subscription may be in the cards.

whoa. nice! there is a shop ut here in the burbs that offers 25% of all novels/trades every day, but some of the deals on those sites are freaking killer. thanks!

yeah, i'm thinking a wizard subscription may be in the cards.

are you going to check out the con?

are you going to check out the con?

i believe i may, yes. just trying to figure out which day will work for me. we're going to ravinia to see poi dog pondering that sunday and my folks are coming up to watch the kids, so saturday may be out as well. so, i'm thinking about taking the day off on friday and heading over then. i should know by end of the week...i'll PM you.

• 1 month later...

big Batman news:

Kevin Smith will be writing a mini-series, starting in November.

Legenday Batman writer, Denny O'Neil will be doing a two part story in December (1 issue Batman/1issue Detective)

and Neil Gaiman will be doing a similar two parter in January.

3534new_storyimage0268543.jpg

if anyone's looking for a comic to get into, without having to worry about any backstory/continuity issues, may I suggest Old Man Logan. the 2nd issue (of 8) just came out yesterday, and so far it's been incredible.

Starting in June with Wolverine #66, Mark Millar and Steve McNiven (creative team behind Marvel's Civil War) will join forces for

yeah, i keep seeing stuff in wizard, etc. about it. like is aid earlier, i'll wait until a TPB comes out...but will definitely check it out.

while checking out the artist tables at wizard world, i happened upon Alberto giving some dude a little sneak peek of the limited edition darwyn cooke art book at brandstudio press table. i overheard him talking that darwyn wanted to sell it only as a san diego comicon exclusive, but they have some copies avail via the website:

darwyn_cover.jpg

COOKEPROMOART_small.jpg

RETROACTIVE is a beautiful 48-page collection of selected art produced over the last ten years, from Darwyn
wow, that's beautiful. I love Cooke's work. it was announced at Comic-con that he's going to be adapting Richard Stark's Parker novels. I can't wait for that.

DarwynIDW-Parker-ff.jpg

yeah, i saw that too...seems like a great fit. after finishing new frontier, i grabbed those TPB's of his run on catwoman...those were a lot of fun too. nobody does retro/noir better for me right now. still have yet to check out his work on the spirit stuff, but it's on the list.

BTW, my local shop is having a 2-week anniversary sale, so i finally picked up the bizarro comics TPB that matt groennig did the cover for. fucking hilarious stuff and made me wish i would have nabbed that tee you picked up at WW. along those lines, did you ever read...

supermanbat_worldsfun_101b.jpg

same sort of deal, w/ different indie/outisder artists handling certain parts of the story where after Mr. Mxyzptlk kills batman, he and bat mite wage a multi-universal scrap destroying the pre-Crisis multiverse and the Post-Crisis Universe of DC Comics, as well as the Elseworlds of Kingdom Come, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and the DC animated universe. it was brilliant! highly reccomend!

i'm tellin' you tully, the more i get back into this stuff...the quicker DC is busting me out of my marvel-centric mindset.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this today, and it might be one of the best single issue stories I've ever read. At one point it caused me to say, "Oh shit!"

DCUniverseLastWillTestament1A.jpg

DC Universe Last Will and Testament

Written by Brad Meltzer

Art and covers by Adam Kubert, Joe Kubert & John Dell

New York Times best-selling author Brad Meltzer (IDENTITY CRISIS, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA) makes his return to the DC Universe - and superstar artist Adam Kubert (ACTION COMICS) is riding shotgun! The final battle is quickly approaching. How do the heroes of the DCU prepare for the end? Whom do they approach and say goodbye to before they make the ultimate sacrifice? Featuring the entire DC Universe, Meltzer takes us deep into the hearts and psyches of our heroes. It's the day before you die. What would you do?

I borrowed the collected Marvel Civil War from a friend last night and read it straight through...it was soo good. I highly recommend it.

Also went down to the shop today and got the new one off Beast Origins....I didn't like it as much as the Jean Grey stuff, but it was still really well done.

Also I don't know if anyone reads Astonishing X-Men but I picked up #26 today and boy oh boy it looks like shit is going down!