along the lines of Kingdom Come, Alex Ross did Earth X for Marvel:

51vMqp%205WeL._SS500_.jpg

Justice is great.

also, on the DC/Vertigo front, you can't go wrong with Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Loveless and Y The Last Man.

but being that you're more of a Marvel guy, you should check out:

51XGbn29C7L._SS500_.jpg

Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk

51MkNbeFuhL._SS500_.jpg

Captain America by Ed Brubaker Omnibus, Vol. 1

51BlyHmUiRL._SS500_.jpg

Immortal Iron Fist Vol. 1: The Last Iron Fist Story

41L4FeIRoVL._SS500_.jpg

Agents of Atlas

all of these, especially Planet Hulk and Brubaker's Captain America, are some of the best stuff Marvel's done in years.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw red son action figures for bataman and green lantern as well. is it just supes in that series?

Batman is featured heavily in the series, but he's more of a terrorist than a hero. Wonder Woman is there, as Superman's ally and Hal Jordan (GL) shows up as a fighter pilot, working for the Americans via Lex Luthor.

Batman is featured heavily in the series, but he's more of a terrorist than a hero. Wonder Woman is there, as Superman's ally and Hal Jordan (GL) shows up as a fighter pilot, working for the Americans via Lex Luthor.

cool. i'm too lazy to post them, but there are new pics of dark knight/ledger as the joker floating around:

geek in the city

out of touch with all this stuff as well:

favs:

the collected Miracleman in 3 or 4 volumes:

180px-Miraclemanbook3.JPG

Planetary

250px-Absoluteplanetary.jpg

I don't know if you've read Maus or Shadow of no Towers but they are also incredible.

and if you really like Alex Ross, Astro City has been going on forever

acsamaritan_cover_desktop.jpg

http://www.astrocity.us/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Maus is classic

and as far as Astro City goes, Kurt Busiek is one of my favorite writers of all time. great stuff.

Kris, you tried out Planetary?

chr_four.jpg

love the marvel vs dc/edgar rice burroughs/zane grey/jules verne/Doc Savage thing that went on.

I haven't checked it out, yet. I've been planning to, because Ellis is great and I hear nothing but good things about the series. but other things keep getting in the way.

• 2 months later...
Comics publishers cautiously go online

By RYAN PEARSON, AP Entertainment Writer Tue Nov 13, 12:01 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Marvel is putting some of its older comics online Tuesday, hoping to reintroduce young people to the X-Men and Fantastic Four by showcasing the original issues in which such characters appeared.

It's a tentative move onto the Internet: Comics can only be viewed in a Web browser, not downloaded, and new issues will only go online at least six months after they first appear in print.

Still, it represents perhaps the comics industry's most aggressive Web push yet. Even as their creations -- from Iron Man to Wonder Woman -- become increasingly visible in pop culture through new movies and video games, old-school comics publishers rely primarily on specialized, out-of-the-way comic shops for distribution of their bread-and-butter product.

"You don't have that spinner rack of comic books sitting in the local five-and-dime any more," said Dan Buckley, president of Marvel Publishing. "We don't have our product intersecting kids in their lifestyle space as much as we used to."

Translate "kids' lifestyle space" into plain English and you get "the Internet." Marvel's two most prominent competitors currently offer online teasers designed to drive the sales of comics or book collections.

Dark Horse Comics now puts its monthly anthologies "Dark Horse Presents" up for free viewing on its MySpace site. The images are vibrant and large.

DC Comics has also put issues up on MySpace, and recently launched the competition-based Zuda Comics, which encourages users to rank each other's work, as a way to tap into the expanding Web comic scene. Company president Paul Levitz said he expects to put more original comics online in coming years.

"We look at anything that connects comics to people," Levitz said. "The most interesting thing about the online world to me is the opportunity for new forms of creativity. ... It's a question of what forms of storytelling work for the Web?"

For its mature Vertigo imprint, DC offers weekly sneak peeks at the first five or six pages of upcoming issues. The publisher also gives out downloadable PDF files of the first issues in certain series, timed to publication of the series in book or graphic novel format.

The Web release of DC's "Y the Last Man" sent sales of that book collection soaring at Bridge City Comics in Portland, Ore., the shop's owner Michael Ring said.

"They really do tend to be feeder systems," Ring said of online comics. "They give people that initial taste."

For Marvel, the general public has often already gotten its initial taste through movies like "Spider-Man" or the "Fantastic Four" franchises.

The publisher is hoping fans will be intrigued enough about the origins of those characters to shell out $9.99 a month, or $4.99 monthly with a year-long commitment. For that price, they'll be able to poke through, say, the first 100 issues of Stan Lee's 1963 creation "Amazing Spider-Man" at their leisure, along with more recent titles like "House of M" and "Young Avengers." Comics can be viewed in several different formats, including frame-by-frame navigation.

Ring expects Marvel's effort to put a slight dent in the back-issue segment of the comic shop industry, where rare, out-of-print titles sell for hundreds of dollars on eBay and at trade shows.

Though most comic fans are collectors, some simply want to catch up on the backstory of their favorite characters and would no longer have to pay top dollar to do so.

About 2,500 issues will be available at launch of Marvel Digital Comics, with 20 more being released each week.

___

41gR45aNy3L._AA240_.jpg

51zjWbbJIGL._AA240_.jpg

the series "Criminal", by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips is probably the best comic being published today.

Vol. 1: Coward is available in trade format and Vol. 2: Lawless just wrapped up in snigle issue format, it'll be available in trade this December.

Guest Golyadkin

My Favorites - (Adult material)

Batman - The Cult

The Dark Knight Returns

Year One

Gotham by Gaslight

Really looking forward to the new Batman movie coming out in 08 "The Dark Knight"

I have not read comics in ages but I have found myself going back into the stores recently.

I want to pick up Superman in Communist Russia and The Invisibles.

• 4 weeks later...

Tully, i know you are a DC guy, but i'd be remiss if i didn't give you a heads up on an excellent x-mas gift i'll be receiving. the family and i were picking up some tonnage at costco and I found this for $29 (normally $49):

'The Marvel Vault: A Museum-in-a-book With Rare Collectibles from the World of Marvel'

51MGxMbwpPL._SS400_.jpg

51kncrYmZTL._SS400_.jpg

BOOK REVIEW: The Marvel Vault

More fun than a double-barrel full of monkeys

O.K. I've got to admit this: I can't remember the last time I've had so much fun with something I've pulled out of my weekly Diamond Distributing box.' date=' Betty Boop blow-up dolls notwithstanding.

At first glance, The Marvel Vault might appear to be just another well-designed history book. And who better to write such a tome than master comics writer and former longtime Marvel editor-in-chief Roy Thomas and noted comics historian Peter Sanderson? Well, Roy's a noted comics historian too, but I've got a thing for the "editor-in-chief" title. Whereas there have been somewhat more comprehensive histories of Marvel (more-or-less including "corporate-approved" volumes), everything you need to know to understand and appreciate the publishing house is here, along with a great deal of inside information and well-informed observation that other books are lacking.

Nope. [b']What makes The Marvel Vault amazing fun is the surplus of bells-and-whistles. It's subtitled "A Museum-in-a-Book with rare collectibles from the World of Marvel" for a reason: it's got tons of removable reproductions of all kinds of cool stuff produced by Marvel and its predecessor imprints Timely and Atlas over the past 70 years. To name but a few: original sketches of the early 1940s Sub-Mariner and Human Torch by Carl Pfeufer, including work from the history-making 50 page crossover from Human Torch #8; Bil Everett's illustrated postcards to his daughter; a John Severin color piece denoting himself and fellow Atlas artists Bill Everett and Joe Maneely; the plot synopsis to Fantastic Four #1, a ton Merry Marvel Marching Society stuff; the program book to the 1975 Mighty Marvel Convention, Bernie Wrightson's Howard The Duck For President art; Marvel Value Stamps from 1974; the Marvel No-Prize Book; a Marvel stock certificate from 1993; Andy Kubert's Wolverine sketches from Origin... and, as the saying goes, a lot more.[/b]

The spiral-bound Marvel Vault was designed by Megan Noller Holt, and she deserves notation and praise. The Marvel Vault makes for a wonderful gift, particularly to yourself. It's available at comic book stores (either in-stock or by special order), online retailers and better big box outlets. When it comes to being a Marvel fan, if, on a one-to-ten scale, you are anything north a "2" you'll love this book.

this thing is awesome. i looked through one and it's beautfully done...each of the 'trinkets' are organized and enclosed in flat plastic pouches to kepp them in good shape, etc. i wanted to dive into it yesterday, but it's getting wrapped and put under the tree. dude...$29, a total steal.