Now playing 2nd Oct 2006

Loney, Dear. He's from Sweden - been compared to Sufjan and Bright Eyes. Very very good record indeed!

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So no one seems to know when this was released in the UK... I rang Fopp in Cambridge this morning and they've sold out... but they're not sure if they've had any copies or going to get any copies... bizarre!

On Amazon.co.uk its only listed as an import??

EDIT: According to play.com its officially released on 16th of this month.

Is that JET?!?!?!?!

Yup.

For me:

B000GPI1BO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41379603_.jpg

Viscera Eyes is fcuking great...

Ive been meaning to check that out. Simply just because of the album cover.

I really enjoyed that too. In fact, might stick it on now as the Jet album is a bit of stinker. Not really suprising.

New Brakes track on myspace. So looking forward to the new album....

Porcupine or Pineapple

Caught them live twice over the summer, and the new songs are sounding excellent. Bit surprised at the tracklisting for the new album, I dunno whether it's complete, but their only seemed to be 10 or so tracks on it.

If Give Blood is anything to go by the new one should be over in eight minutes.

Caught them live twice over the summer, and the new songs are sounding excellent. Bit surprised at the tracklisting for the new album, I dunno whether it's complete, but their only seemed to be 10 or so tracks on it.

If Give Blood is anything to go by the new one should be over in eight minutes.

Yeah I was suprised how few tracks there were. Apparently the album weighs in at 29 minutes, heres some info:

Brakes are the rollin', bowlin', tumblin', toilin', boilin', wheelin', bleedin', blood givin' buddies that have been throwing eyes into the valleys of the blind and sending mp3s to the moon or further for over three years now YEAH!!! Roll over cold dog' cause a hot dog's movin' in!! HELL YEAH!!!

So far this year, Brakes backed Belle and Sebastian and Editors in the UK & Europe before seeing in the spring with trips to warmer climbs; March saw the band head to Texas for a string of successful shows at the South by South West festival in Austin, a return to NYC and a debut tour of Italy.

Come April and Brakes' super-duper smash hit 'All Night Disco Party' received a repeat release disguised in Graham Sutton, Matthew Herbert and FC Kahuna remix formats. The band then toured from Aberdeen all the way down to the city of London where they did a good job of filling the popular Mean Fiddler venue.

It was high time for Brakes II by now, so, on an invitation from Seth Riddle (husband of Cerys Mathews) they flew to Nashville, Tennessee to record with Stuart Sikes (Cat Power: The Greatest, White Stripes: Red Blood Cells...) After a few days acclimatisation; catching fireflys; drinking 45 ounce margheritas; swapping guitar licks and rocking on rocking chairs on various porches, they got to work at The House of David studio, where records have been made by the likes of JJ Cale, Yo La Tengo and Elvis Presley.

The band stuck to their old habits by recording fast and live to tape. They recruited a few extra pairs of hands in the shape of local axe hombre Kevin Teel (lapsteel) and the man of 'The House' himself, Mr David Briggs (piano) David was an original Muscle Shoals band member and went on to play piano with Elvis between '68 and '77. Brakes asked him to lay down some 'ragtime' piano on 'If I Should Die Tonight' offering him $10. "Well, that was worth 50c." he said. They squeezed in gigs at the legendary record shop 'Grimeys' and its sister venue The Basement in between sessions, and were greeted by Nashville with hollers, whoops and screams.

Between festivals around the UK and Europe, Brakes mixed their new album 'Beatific Visions' at Radiohead's studio, Courtyard, in Oxfordshire. They paid their dues at the grave of Eric Blair (George Orwell), drank too much at the local mind bending pub 'The Plough', recorded a string section and mixed a fine record, which was later mastered by Neil Young's mastering engineer in Nashville.

The band played festivals until the end of the summer, and will be out on tour somewhere near you soon.

'The Beatific Visions' Tracklisting:

Hold Me In The River

Margarita

If I Should Die Tonight

Mobile Communication

Spring Chicken

Isabel

Beatific Vision

Porcupine or Pineapple

Cease and Desist

On Your Side

No Return

Yeah I was suprised how few tracks there were. Apparently the album weighs in at 29 minutes, heres some info:

I caught them at Summer Sundae Weekender and Eamonn said on stage that they'd just been to Tennessee recording the new album. After their set finished he said he was off to get smashed on beer. I just thought it was rock star talk. Bit later on caught him walking away from the Guillemots, staggering all over the place, beer out of can spilling everywhere. Good work!

:lol brilliant!

Certainly looking forward to the Brakes album... not really been impressed with many british bands so far this year.

Speak of spilling beer and staggering around, surely it's time for our annual meet up for a few beers and some live musical entertainment?

Speak of spilling beer and staggering around, surely it's time for our annual meet up for a few beers and some live musical entertainment?

Absolutely. We need to find a decent gig to go to. Maybe Sufjan in December?

EDIT: Ok scrap that idea. Its November & soldout.