Los Angeles or Austin?

My boyfriend and I want to take our vacation during the first week in February, and we want to go somewhere warmish (at least compared to Baltimore), so our final contenders are Los Angeles and Austin. I priced both trips as far as airfare, hotel, and rental car, and it would cost about the same either way. It's too early to know if there will be any good shows that week, although I am sure there will be in both places, just because there almost always are.

Where would you go, and why? It will be my first time for either place.

Edited to add: we like to shop for books and music, eat cheap but good vegetarian food, and walk around aimlessly. We also like art museums.

San Francisco

We've been there already. We want to go somewhere we haven't been.

Also: we live in BALTIMORE, people. We're easily impressed.

I would suggest researching events going on in each city during the time you wish to travel. Both towns are hot beds for live music, but both can go stale during the holidays. I live close to L.A. and go there all the time for shows and events, so I would go to Austin (I also have a very special lady friend in Austin). But L.A. can be really fun and exciting if you're there at the right time.

Im from chicago, I live in LA, and i've been to Austin, and I vote Austin. It's a real cool place. But LA's not as bad as they make it out to be.

As far as art museums go, the location of the getty alone is worth going, and they always have cool stuff. Getty Villa is supposed to be pretty sweet as well, though I haven't been. LACMA's not bad either.

Austin is fantastic. Well worth a visit.

Just don't go planning on buying dildos. (see Link)

Well damn -- how else will I remember what a good time I had on my trip if not with a souvenir Velvet Touch Clit Licker emblazoned with the lonestar? :ohwell

Forget both and come to Chicago, we have all that and more.

Oh Yea...this is February we are talking about, don't come here, it sucks in February, but both Austin and LA are cool....I think Austin is easier to get around in however and probably a bit cheaper.

LouieB

Imagine my surprise, eastcoast tenderfoot, moving to LA in January and having it rain for the next 30 days.

However, if you're renting a car, I would definitely fly to LAX and head immediately for the beautiful natural areas outside of LA. LA itself, not so much.

No doubt: Austin over LA, without question, unless you want to spend most of your vacation in a car, in traffic, inhaling the smog. Downside to Austin: it's in Texas, so don't bring any dildos!

:cheers

Thanks for your input, everyone. When we recalculated, we realized that L.A. was actually much cheaper than Austin... so we'll go to L.A. this time. We'll wait a few years and try to make it to SXSW or ACL Festival when I get out of grad school.

As for getting out of L.A. while we're there, we are definitely planning to rent a car and see things other than freeways. :thumbup