If you were the center of the circle

After seeing "I'm a Wheel" get a lot of nominations in the "Favorite/Least Favorite" thread for the latter, and some less than favorable references in other threads too, I feel it is a proper time to tell of my fantasy Wilco album that never happened. If somehow Wilco owed me their lives, or something to that degree, during the AGIB era I would have made them make an album completely in the style of 'I'm a Wheel' and 'Kicking Television'. It would be short, thirty something minutes, or if it really was a strain on Tweedy's talents, it would be a solid EP. It was one direction I wish they'd pursued further.

So, I'll extend it to you guys. If you had Wilco on a leash, what would you have them do? This can be in regard to the direction of the new album, or any era that has passed. But for the sake of positivity, no making them redo anything they've made, no matter how much you want to take away the overdubs on Summerteeth or hear the AGIB demos come to completion. So what kindof Wilco are you aching for more of?

Summerteeth II? Mermaid Avenue III? More shortwave radio? Let's hear it.

Edited by tongue-tied

Toungue-tied, I'm gonna have to agree with you there with the whole KTV and I'm a Wheel stuff- vibey album.

I probably listed I'm a Wheel as my least fave on AGIB, but just b/c IMO, it doesn't fit with the rest of the album (still a good song).

Now, put thos two tracks together on a punk-ish, screaming (Nels) guitar-fest, and I think you'd have a damn good album.

Maybe, I'd also add the song that appeared on the SpongeBob soundtrack.

Take the blue eyed soul and seventies rock influences prevalent on the new material theyre plaing live and insert the sonic disturbances of YHFT and AGIB, selectively culling from the studio noise freakouts of YHFT and the minimalist live guitar/percussion textures of AGIB.

Take the blue eyed soul and seventies rock influences prevalent on the new material theyre plaing live and insert the sonic disturbances of YHFT and AGIB, selectively culling from the studio noise freakouts of YHFT and the minimalist live guitar/percussion textures of AGIB.

WOW...you dO have it figured out......... :lol

-Robert.

Maybe, I'd also add the song that appeared on the SpongeBob soundtrack.

Yeah, Jeff can write some really great rock songs when he lets himself. Student Loan Stereo (Summerteeth era b-side) would be another one for your punk record. I'd probably love the record but I don't know if it'd last in the same way a record like Being There does.

My center-for-the-day wish would be for more Jeff and less Wilco. Not that I really want the band to break up, but most of the really good Wilco songs I can think of seem like stuff he's taken into the studio mostly finished and that escaped the Wilcoization process mostly intact. What Light is a good example of a new song that escaped without being Panthersed. On & On & On and Let's Fight seem like songs that have maybe lost that battle.

I'd like to see them countinue along the lines of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and The Wilco Book, kind of like a Sparklehorse/Califone/Tom Waits kind of thing. Let Glenn rock the hammer dulcimer and let Stirratt bust out the mandolin again. It would mix both the past and future of the band pretty well in my humble opinion.

And I'd bring Leroy Bach back, and let Bennett produce them and serve in a Brian Wilson kind of role.

--Mike