Jay Bennett and Death Ships @ Fitzgeralds, Berwyn IL 10/18

Death Ships opened with their own set for about 45 minutes - these guys are a very good indie rock/americana/alt country band. I think most people on this board would dig them a lot. Some of their mellower stuff is on their myspace page, but they can bring the loud rock as well. Check 'em out.

But I think the question on everyone's mind was: "How was Jay going to sound". The answer IMO: very, very good.

Jay came out and played a few songs solo electric, admitting he was the "most nervous guy in Cook County". The crowd was very suportive though, and he drew more than a few chuckles when, as he was putting a capo on before a song, he said that if anyone jumped on stage and tried to kiss him, he would punch him. The solo stuff was good, but the highlight was his 10 or so songs with Death Ships (minus lead singer Dan Maloney). Three things became obvious to me as the set went on. 1) Jay really can pull off the front man role. He many not have a honey-smooth singing voice, but neither does Micah from Two Cow Garage, and that doesn't in any way detract from my enjoyment of that band. I think as he gets more used to this role he'll only get better. 2) The more straightforward rock arrangements seem to work really well - I prefered the simple live arrangements of certain songs like 5th Grade over the more produced versions on the album. Funny note - if you take the live version of Out All Night played tonight, add a serious Instrumental 2/Courderouy Cutoff Girl-style production to it, you get the album version. 3) Jay's guitar playing still kicks ass. At one point, Jay mentioned he had to stretch a 10 song set into an hour, so I yelled that he should take a 10 minute guitar solo. Well, it wasn't 10 minutes, but after tearing through a searing solo on the second to last song, he turns to the band and signals them to keep going. Then he continues to tear it up for another several runs through the progression. Without getting into the whole Nels vs. Jay thing, I know there's some criticism here that Jay is a one-trick pony when it comes to guitar solos. My answer to that is when you're that good, you don't need another trick. Hearing Jay play tonight scratched a musical itch I've had for 5 1/2 years. :rock

Small crowd on a rainy Tuesday, but VC'ers madscientist, SFolk, and Groo and friends all had a good time. Jay was nice enough to autograpgh SFolk's CD and talk to me for a minute. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I really hope this is the start of somethinig good for him.

This was the first time I've ever seen Jay Bennett play live, period (never got to see him play with Wilco). Jay did a great job. He played mostly newer songs that I didn't recognize, but they sounded pretty good. During his solo set, he played "Junior," which is probably my favorite Bennett song, and "quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever written." Jay took on a frontman/rhythm guitar player role. He only busted out the soloing once, which was a damn shame. Jay's soloing is even better in person than it is in bootlegs. It's much better than jazzy guitar masturbation, but I'm not going to name any names...

Fitzgerald's was a really cool venue. It had a divey sort of atmosphere. There were tables set up, and chairs for sitting. The six of us that were there all got to sit during the show, in the front row, about 10 feet from the stage. The place wasn't very crowded. There was maybe a couple dozen people there total. It's a damn shame, it was a good show. The crowd was fairly quiet during the songs, and clapped and hooted when appropriate. There was some asshole who kept shouting for Jay to do "Fireworks," to which he replied "I wish I could remember the chords to that one." When I then yelled for "Whispers or Screams," Jay replied "I wish I could remember the chords to that one too." Oh well, it's not like those are two of my favorite Bennett songs or anything...

As a little sidenote, at one point, the waittress decided to give me a free Honker's Ale. Why? Who cares, it was delicious.

tonights Champaign show sounded like a copy of last night. Including the bantar. (Made the same comment about punching us if we kissed him.) I felt sorry for Jay initially. He was nervous and without sounding like a jag, Jay could stand to lose a few pounds. I know his back was giving him problems and he mentioned he had some work done on it over the summer...maybe he hsn't been getting around much but his belly was definately pertruding. (Sorry Jay, I know you are reading this) After about 3 or 4 beers, Jay settled down nicely. Did a nice rendition of "My Darling" with Burch. Jay obviously felt more comfortable with a band backing him. Confident, great guitar work (The Fender he borrowed after breaking a string sounded much better than the slightly out of tune Epiphone, that I imagine was from using the whammy bar. He also played a song he co wrote with Stiratt. He mentioned he's still good friends with him.

Jay sounded very appreciative and genuine for the crowd coming out. Both his old manager and new manager were in attendence and standing next to one another.

I had just seen Blue Man Group perform (with the wife) but I'm glad I went out for the show at the Cowboy Monkey.

I agree, Death Ship sounded great. The guys voice reminded me at times of Tweedy. Wish I could hve caught the Tractor Kings. Another good band reminiscent of Tupelo.

Good night of music...

also, was the first song a cover of The Jayhawks' "Dying On The Vine"?

no, different song, although there was a "dying on the vine" line

excellent. i am seeing him on sunday and am wondering how long they played?

(i also have broken social scene that night and am hoping to see as much of jay before having to bail)

about an hour, the opening set was maybe 45 minutes

During his solo set, he played "Junior," which is probably my favorite Bennett song, and "quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever written." Jay took on a frontman/rhythm guitar player role. He only busted out the soloing once, which was a damn shame. Jay's soloing is even better in person than it is in bootlegs.

I saw him play Junior at the Troubadour on the Palace at 4 AM tour. He solo'd so much on the song that HE HAD TO SIT DOWN to continue solo'ing. It was pretty cool, though.

I saw him play Junior at the Troubadour on the Palace at 4 AM tour. He solo'd so much on the song that HE HAD TO SIT DOWN to continue solo'ing. It was pretty cool, though.

I like Junior - wish he had done that with the band instead of solo.