Handicapping the Senate/House races

Hey All,

We're just a shade over 2 weeks until Nov.7.Debates have raged every day for the last few weeks on the tube.It goes without saying that the upcoming elections are huge in determining the course that lies ahead.

Everything seems to be up in the air at this point.As a confessed junkie for these kinds of things,I must say the unpredictability of it all is fascinating.Political analyst Charlie Cook ("The Cook Political Report") spoke with some students on TV the other day,and said a 'conservative' estimate (in his opinion) has Democrats picking up 20-25 seats in the House alone.

Well...the gist of this is I thought it would be informative & interesting for VCers to comment on the races,especially those that are local to them.Sort of get a feel for what's going on in our community here.And since I'm guessing nearly every state is represented in VC,it'd be cool for anyone to comment on the media onslaught that they have to deal with in their area.GO!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana: Senate: Dick Lugar up for re-election.I know the re-election rate for incumbents is 90+%,but this is a sure thing if ever there was one.First off,he's running unopposed!(at least no true Dem. challanger)Secondly,he is one of the most respected men (on both sides from the aisle) in the Senate.I could go on about why I've disliked him over the years,but if Congress were filled with Dick Lugars...well we could do worse,really.

House:This is where it gets interesting to me.Of the 20+ seats that Cook spoke of that may go D,3 of those are right here in IN.Republicans Chris Chicola,Mark Souder & Mike Sodrel all have their backs against the wall with their challengers.The Sodrel/Baron Hill race in particular (Sodrel won by the smallest margin of all the previous House races).Sodrel/Hill,not coincidentally,has featured some of the most negative TV ads I can ever remember in this area.Not probably as bad as a swing state like Ohio for example,but disgusting nonetheless.For a relatively conservative place this is strange news indeed.

OK let it rip folks!

I'd also like to say that I'll be shocked if Rick Santorum (PA) & especially Conrad Burns (MT) get reelected.Their debates with the challengers made both of them look very very bad.

I'd also like to say that I'll be shocked if Rick Santorum (PA) & especially Conrad Burns (MT) get reelected.Their debates with the challengers made both of them look very very bad.

The thing about Santorum losing is that Dan Savage named the so called "frothy mix of fecal matter and lube" that is a by-product of anal sex "Santorum".

If he goes, then what will it be called?

I'm watching district 6 here in Illinois Tammy Duckworth (D) vs. Peter Roskam - Each has raised about 2.5MM for the fight. I like Tammy not only because she's a Dem. but also a war hero. She lost her legs when the Blackhawk helo she was piloting was shot down in Iraq.

Roskam is just another scumbag lawyer.

I must admit, I've been in a bit of a political-burnout mode through most of this campaign season and, for the sake of my own sanity, I've been largely tuning out. Not to say that I'm not excited for election day, but its the day-to-day speculation and obsessing about it without having an actual outlet (like voting) that I'm done with.

Here in CT, the marquee race is obviously the Lieberman/Lamont thing. Its been billed nationally as some kind of a bellweather or a changing-of-the-guard kind of thing, and yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens, but lately I personally don't seem to be as excited about it as I expected to be. I do think its time for Joe to go, but I'm not really as excited about Lamont as I thought I would be, either.

Conrad Burns(MT)...... :stunned will win. not enough Cali rich liberals polluting the Flathead Valley to swing that state to the left yet....

Patty Murray (WA) is the only one like around these parts......one of the few times I'll vote the striaght party line.

-Robert.

Man I thought Tester tore Burns up in their televised debate...(Abramoff :realmad )

Robert from what I've seen/heard of Murray,she's pretty damn good.Consider yourself lucky...you could be a few more miles East! :lol

The thing about Santorum losing is that Dan Savage named the so called "frothy mix of fecal matter and lube" that is a by-product of anal sex "Santorum".

If he goes, then what will it be called?

as I drove thru PA this weekend I was so tempted to tag all the Santorum signs in big black letters:

FROTHY MIX

:pirate

Also, we're doing our part here in NYS to put another Dem in the governors' column.

We've got in my region Kilroy vs. Price, and Brown vs. Dewine.

Price has got the experience, but Kilroy has got the policy (kind of).

Brown is flat out better than Dewine, and should win without problems.

I agree more with Kilroy's policies and plans, but damn, it's hard to contest 14 years of experience. And I've heard both speak, and damn, Kilroy sucked ass, and Price did well.

I agree more with Kilroy's policies and plans, but damn, it's hard to contest 14 years of experience. And I've heard both speak, and damn, Kilroy sucked ass, and Price did well.

Their debate on TV that CSPAN aired kinda sounded like a catfight to me.At least we know that the negativity is not gender-specific.

I heard this on the radio this morning during some bit where they were playing awful negative campaign ads. You think it's gotta be a joke, but it's for real...

Funniest Attack Ad Ever

Nice, We've got the knock off "real men of genius" Bud Light commercials for our gubernatorial race, i.e. real liberal campaign promise maker. Uber lame.