The Minutemen Appreciation Thread

So this weekend I saw We Jam Econo, the Minutemen documentary.

I've been a fan for a while, but the film really renewed my enthusiasm for them. All three had/have such unique musical personalities. No one else like them before or sense.

Anyway, any fans here?

I'm a huge fan and recently bought and watched We Jam Econo - great documentary... watching it you actually get a feel for what they were going through and what they were trying to achieve. So much energy. Brilliant.

I saw the "reformed" Minutemen two years ago supporting Shellac at the Scala in London - amazing set...

Mike Watt's home page is always a giggle: http://www.hootpage.com/

I've always liked Minutemen and liked the firehose stuff to a lesser degree. I saw Watt with Banyan 2 weeks ago. The man's played with a lot of musicians and plays the bass like it owes him money, and always comes across as humble. He's a nice guy, to boot.

When I was growing up it was easier to get fIREHOSE than The Minutemen. I had a copy of Double Nickels On The Dime in high school, but Live Totem Pole and if'n were the ones that always managed to make their way into my player.

I watched We Jam Econo a few weeks ago however, and realized what I'd been missing out on.

Watt's a great guy. I love his tireless enthusiasm in celebrating D. Boon.

When I was in high school, some cool guy working at the local independent record store told me that Double Nickels on the Dime "changed his life." Was never able to get into it. What's a good starting point for the Minutemen?

Re: fIREHOSE, I still like "Down with the Bass" - even though Flyin' the Flannel wasn't the greatest record in the world.

When I was in high school, some cool guy working at the local independent record store told me that Double Nickels on the Dime "changed his life." Was never able to get into it. What's a good starting point for the Minutemen?

Re: fIREHOSE, I still like "Down with the Bass" - even though Flyin' the Flannel wasn't the greatest record in the world.

If you don't like Double NIckels you should probably stop trying to like the Minutemen.

I've always considered "Ragin' Full On" and "Flyin' the Flannel" to be by far the strongest Firehose albums.

I think Double Nickels is their best, but Project Mersh and Three Way Tie for Last are probably easier to get into (and quite good too).

• 4 years later...

Just watched this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ZmpOCqkOA

Had to bring Double Nickels with me to work today. So great. And that movie gave me a whole new/different appreciation of the band than I had before. So fucking great, in so many different ways.

saw mike watt a few weeks ago playing his newest "opera." what a great set. did a few minutemen/firehose songs in the encore. always a gracious man, too. and he's playing something like 51 shows in 52 days on this tour. riding in a van, of course...

saw mike watt a few weeks ago playing his newest "opera." what a great set. did a few minutemen/firehose songs in the encore. always a gracious man, too. and he's playing something like 51 shows in 52 days on this tour. riding in a van, of course...

That's the norm for his tours, but this time, in addition to his own tour dates, he's going to fly to Detroit (if I recall) mid-tour, do one Stooges show, then fly back to meet up with his own band and carry on with his tour. :stunned

I drove 5.5 hours on Sunday and then had band practice that same night. I can't imagine doing a much harder version of that 51 times in a row. I'm not certain I'd survive.

I wish I was able to see this tour, but other obligations (which turned out to be a blast) got in the way. Watt's new album is excellent. Very Beefheart-ian in some ways.

Watt and Hurley are gonna be doing Minutemen songs @ the ATP that Jeff Mangum is curating in Dec, in the UK.

Nice interview with Watt in the VIllage Voice.

Referencing ATP he says "Also, me and Georgie got asked by this Neutral Milk guy--sorry, I don't know his name. Neutral Milk Hotel? He's curating All Tomorrow's Parties Festival in December and he asked me and Georgie, as a duo, to do some Minutemen songs."