Comic Book Movie Adaptations

Even though my wife told me it was totally inappropriate for 4 year olds, I bought my 4 year old the first season of Justice League Unlimited on DVD. It turned out to be totally inappropriate for a 4 year old, but I love it.

And I second the props for Green Lantern. I'm also a big fan of Martian Manhunter.

Nice to see the love for the Lantern!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you into the Green Lantern Corps, or are you just a Hal Jordan fan?

I was a Jordan fan from years back but I did get into the whole Corps mythology. I like Jon Stewart and Kyle Rayner. Never liked the Guy Gardner one. Kilowog is one huge mofo though.

yes, this is true. Moore wanted to use the Charlton characters, but DC nixed the idea (they wanted to use them themselves, so they could fuck them up 20 years later)

and yes, the DC sheild (actually it's called the DC Bullet) is on the Watchmen books, but their story takes place outside of the DC Universe, it's not even part of any multiple earths that DC used to use. therefore, they are not DC Suprheroes, regardless of what logo they have on their books or what characters they were based on.

Bullet / Shield, Charlton / DC, whatever. DC owns 'em, they are DC characters. You should go back to being Pervert, pervert.

Bullet, Shield, Vertigo, DC, whatever. DC owns 'em, they are DC characters. You should go back to being Pervert, pervert.

yes, they are, but they aren't DC superheroes in the sense that Superman, Batman, Nightwing, Green Lantern, etc. are. and that's the point I'm making.

and I think i'll stick with this name, because it's truer to my roots.

I was a Jordan fan from years back but I did get into the whole Corps mythology. I like Jon Stewart and Kyle Rayner. Never liked the Guy Gardner one. Kilowog is one huge mofo though.

there's a new Corps book out now, written by Dave Gibbons. but it focuses on Guy alot, so you might not dig it. Kyle's no longer a GL, they've turned him into Ion, haven't seen Stewart in awhile, and Jordan is back to being the top dog of the Corps, along as a member of the new Justice League.

The Ion thing is pretty cool though, like the costume.

IONCv1.jpg

Nice to see Hal back where he belongs though. Rebirth was great.

I agree about rebirth, it was great. I was a little bummed about Kyle getting pushed out of the top spot.

Pretty stoked for Spiderman 3. Still haven't seen X-Men 3 despite (/because of) being a big fan of the first 2 and the X-Men in general. I didn't grow up reading comics though, so I struggle to get into the complex universes.

On a related note, I think Y: The Last Man would make a great TV series.

Y.jpg

Y: The Last Man is Vaughan's attempt to subvert the classic male fantasy of being the last man on earth. In the series, something (speculated to be a plague) simultaneously kills every mammal possessing a Y chromosome - including embryos, fertilized eggs, and even sperm - with the exception of Yorick Brown, a young amateur escape artist, and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand.

Society is plunged into chaos as infrastructures collapse and the surviving women everywhere try to cope with the loss of the men, their survivors' guilt, and the knowledge that humanity is doomed to extinction. Vaughan meticulously crafts the new society that emerges out of this chaos, from the conversion of the phallic Washington Monument to a monument to the dead men, to the genesis of the fanatical ultra-feminist Daughters of the Amazon, who believe that Mother Earth cleansed itself of the "aberration" of the Y chromosome, to male impersonators becoming valued romantically and professionally.

Over the course of their journey, Yorick and his friends discover how society has coped in the aftermath of the plague. However, many of the women they encounter have ulterior motives in regards to Yorick. Though the subject matter of the series is entirely serious, Y: The Last Man is also noted for its humor. Yorick in particular is a source of one-liners, although the other characters have their moments as well.

- from Wikipedia

You can read the first issue here (PDF)

Good news: There's a Y: The Last Man flick on the table, and Brian K. Vaughan is writing the first draft of the screenplay.

I guess the question is whether a sixty-issue funnybook will work as a two-hour Hollywood movie. I have no idea, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

yeah, it's funny because for the most part, the comics don't really cater to kids.

I suppose not but they are aimed at them primarily.

A decent Flash movie would be good too.

nn020410.jpg