My First Negative Wilco Review

I don't see Sunken Treasure as much of a "concert film" as I do a documentary...

Stop Making Sense and Rust Never Sleeps are concert films, Sunken Treasure is more like Don't Look Back except in ST you can actually hear songs from beginning to end and most of what we see of the artist actually happened on stage and not behind the scenes.

my only complaint is the song list isn't as great as it could be. there are quite a few songs that really deserve to be on there. like "remember the mountain bed" for sure.

I haven't seen it yet, but how was that song not included? Please tell me Lost Love is on there. Another question, any inclusion of Glenn solo material or is this just a Jeff love fest?

I haven't seen it yet, but how was that song not included? Please tell me Lost Love is on there.

:no

the following are on it

1 INTRO [sEATTLE]

2 SUNKEN TREASURE [sEATTLE]

3 THEOLOGIANS [sEATTLE]

4 THE RULING CLASS [sEATTLE]

5 INTRO [PORTLAND]

6 HOW TO FIGHT LONELINESS [PORTLAND]

7 SUMMERTEETH [PORTLAND]

8 THE THANKS I GET [PORTLAND]

9 INTRO [EUGENE]

10 I AM TRYING TO BREAK YOUR HEART [EUGENE]

11 ELT [EUGENE]

12 SHOT IN THE ARM [EUGENE]

13 INTRO [ARCATA]

14 BLACK EYE [ARCATA]

15 IN A FUTURE AGE [ARCATA]

16 LAMINATED CAT [ARCATA]

17 INTRO [sAN FRANCISCO]

18 (WAS I) IN YOUR DREAMS [sAN FRANCISCO]

19 AIRLINE TO HEAVEN [sAN FRANCISCO]

20 HEAVY METAL DRUMMER [sAN FRANCISCO]

21 WAR ON WAR [sAN FRANCISCO]

22 ACUFF-ROSE [sAN FRANCISCO]

After having been lucky enough to have seen a Tweedy solo show and having a few live discs of his I have this to say. Some of the performances on Sunken are amazing and some are ok. Theologians being perhaps my least favorite performance of a great song ever. But I do think that the DVD is an attempt at recreating the feeling of being at the show and I think that it suceeds. An acoustic solo show is far different than a rock concert. At a rock concert it is all about bombast and in your face music that completely surounds you. And for the most part unless some jackass is right next to you screaming at the top of his lungs no matter what you can hear the music and singing. But when it comes to an acoustic performance the crowd needs to show a little restraint and reverance towards the music. That is what the few hecklers seem to forget. We did not come to the show to hear them. The singer did not come just to play for them. So shouting out "That's amazing!" in the middle of a whistle solo is considered rude and annoying. I have to agree with the person that agreed with Tweedy. STFU! I came to the show to hear the beand, singer, performer not you or my friends or myself! If I wanted that I could throw the record on at a bar or my house and ask everyone to sing along or comment. Jeff has every right to be vexed by the members of the audience that are detracting from the concert expereince for the larger group. In fact he is speaking for the rest of us. How many times have you been to a concert and have been either too far away from the idiot to prevent him from making further outbursts either that or has that idiot been too drunk to listen to reason and even though EVERYONE wants the jerk to shut up, when it comes down to an altercation to do just that no one else is willing to step up and back up the person who does.

Please excuse my rant, I feel like Jeff Tweedy on stage. But I agree with him and as to wether or not it needs to be on the DVD, it might need to be this way the idiot who talks during it might see the outburst and think well maybe I shouldn't yell the first monosyllabic thing that pops into my head just because I am in crowd and no one can definitively pick me out.

the following are on it

It might be worth noting that there are partial performances of several other tunes as well, including a backstage version of "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down" and a montage of city footage set to "Radio King."

Here is something GREAT about the mediocrity of the songs on Sunken Treasure: As someone who collects and listens intently to countless live shows, from Uncle Tupelo to Golden Smog to Tweedy to Wilco pre- and post- Jay Bennett, I must say that after listening to the free DVD downloaded tracks that I would probably prefer to listen to almost any other show I've collected on my own. I might even prefer to send JHamm some blanks and check out a vintage show.

Look on the bright side, Sunken Treasure will never replace the wonderful traded shows that all of us can get with just a little care and kindness called "sharing." I am THRILLED that Wilco didn't try to compete with the tapers and fans that have pretty much unlimited access to their amazing live shows.

After having been lucky enough to have seen a Tweedy solo show and having a few live discs of his I have this to say. Some of the performances on Sunken are amazing and some are ok. Theologians being perhaps my least favorite performance of a great song ever. But I do think that the DVD is an attempt at recreating the feeling of being at the show and I think that it suceeds. An acoustic solo show is far different than a rock concert. At a rock concert it is all about bombast and in your face music that completely surounds you. And for the most part unless some jackass is right next to you screaming at the top of his lungs no matter what you can hear the music and singing. But when it comes to an acoustic performance the crowd needs to show a little restraint and reverance towards the music. That is what the few hecklers seem to forget. We did not come to the show to hear them. The singer did not come just to play for them. So shouting out "That's amazing!" in the middle of a whistle solo is considered rude and annoying. I have to agree with the person that agreed with Tweedy. STFU! I came to the show to hear the beand, singer, performer not you or my friends or myself! If I wanted that I could throw the record on at a bar or my house and ask everyone to sing along or comment. Jeff has every right to be vexed by the members of the audience that are detracting from the concert expereince for the larger group. In fact he is speaking for the rest of us. How many times have you been to a concert and have been either too far away from the idiot to prevent him from making further outbursts either that or has that idiot been too drunk to listen to reason and even though EVERYONE wants the jerk to shut up, when it comes down to an altercation to do just that no one else is willing to step up and back up the person who does.

Please excuse my rant, I feel like Jeff Tweedy on stage. But I agree with him and as to wether or not it needs to be on the DVD, it might need to be this way the idiot who talks during it might see the outburst and think well maybe I shouldn't yell the first monosyllabic thing that pops into my head just because I am in crowd and no one can definitively pick me out.

See: Champaign show, 2006. Lamest. Crowd. Ever. Jeff clearly had a "you guys are a bunch of d-bags" attitude.

I was mostly disappointed with the camera work and editing of the film. It seemed very sloppy at best. I'm no director, but I'm pretty sure zooming, panning and fading are all supposed to be natural and fluid. Anyway, that distracted me from some of the music, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

Seriously. I can't wait to read people's complaints about something new.

Again..same complaint i have with wilco now as a live band. It's too rehearsed. Break free.....break free....let the music feed your soul and we will follow.

I saw the first 1/2 hour or so on the online world premier. I thought that Tweedy's performance was ok but not stellar. But I thought the film was a disappointing over all. I still have to see the rest but it was kind of boring. I definitely wouldn't give it to a non-fan of Wilco/Tweedy and expect them to become a fan.

I saw the first 1/2 hour or so on the online world premier. I thought that Tweedy's performance was ok but not stellar. But I thought the film was a disappointing over all. I still have to see the rest but it was kind of boring. I definitely wouldn't give it to a non-fan of Wilco/Tweedy and expect them to become a fan.

"Wow, you've made me a Jeff Tweedy fan." - My Mom after watching Sunken Treasure. Note: She gave me a disclaimer that she a) doesn't like concert films and B) would most likely fall asleep during it. It was the best test of the film that I can think of...

"Wow, you've made me a Jeff Tweedy fan." - My Mom after watching Sunken Treasure. Note: She gave me a disclaimer that she a) doesn't like concert films and B) would most likely fall asleep during it. It was the best test of the film that I can think of...

I am with you NN. I gave it to a friend of mine and he claims it changed his life. Seriously. I loved everything about it...and to hear people complain that it was boring? I just don't get it.

It might be worth noting that there are partial performances of several other tunes as well, including a backstage version of "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down" and a montage of city footage set to "Radio King."

and The Family Gardener with Scott McCaughey.

There is one in the can.....Wilco at the Vic...let's get that one out now.... :lol

LouieB

you know, saying that makes me wonder if theres a chance they might be using the back to back chicago shows this month to film a live show. LET US PRAY.