Hockey has been painful for me to watch for several years now. The Caps are my primary team--some potentially great young talent, still not yet translating to points in the standings tho. And Columbus is my adopted hometown and, well, not much you can say about the BJs. I mean, hey, I'm pretty psyched about that overtime-loss last night. Woo! Way to postpone the loss until after regulation! Woooooooooo!!!

Baby steps.

:monkey

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

next year might be the Caps year to get in the playoffs. Just wondering how long Kolzig can keep going.

I've always been a big fan of Olie the Goalie, but yeah, I hope he can keep going and this team can pull it together for a playoff run in the near future. It has definitely been too long. And I'm curious to see if a winning team can draw some fans back. Washington is very much a fair-weather hockey town...it would be nice to see them get some more consistent crowd support.

Along similar lines, I just recently moved back to Columbus and am happy to see that the team here still draws crowds now even after the novelty of a new team has worn off, but I really hope this team can start winning someday before the goodwill starts to run thin.

Along similar lines, I just recently moved back to Columbus and am happy to see that the team here still draws crowds now even after the novelty of a new team has worn off, but I really hope this team can start winning someday before the goodwill starts to run thin.

Good to have you back!! I'm thinking of discarding my Blue Jackets affinity out of frustration, though. Nice that they still draw well, however.

nothing against columbus, oh (i like the town nice) but the acquistion of a pro sports team, mainly an NHL team, is one of the weirdest to me.

but Im a Green Bay Packer fan so i can relate to a small town pro team environment.

I agree a little, with Buckeye football and basketball being dominant here and with the Reds, Bengals, Browns, Cavaliers and Indians nearby in-state. However, hockey is somewhat popular here in general at the youth and HS level, it's a metro area of 1.5 million and there's no NHL in Cinti or Cleveburg. It's been a nice fit, and they sell out 18,000 almost every night. They just can't freaking win . . .

nothing against columbus, oh (i like the town nice) but the acquistion of a pro sports team, mainly an NHL team, is one of the weirdest to me.

but Im a Green Bay Packer fan so i can relate to a small town pro team environment.

Actually, Columbus seems to be doing ok with its NHL and MLS teams--arguably better than in some other cities where those teams would get overlooked. Here, they're the only major-league games in town and they draw fans. (as noted, winning is a whole other issue) College athletics are obviously still boss in this town, but there's definitely a market for pro sports.

Oh, and Wheelco, good to be back. :wave I started work here in Jan, but we are still in that transition phase where I'm doing a lot of back and forth trips to CT. Can't wait to finally be settled. But yeah, good to be back.

I haven't been to a Blue Jackets game yet since I've been back in town, but I was there during their first season in the league and I had a diagnosis then of why they couldn't win: They have a nice arena and frequent sellout crowds, but you simply cannot fire up a hockey team and a crowd by playing Faith Hill over the PA system during breaks in the action. Hockey simply doesn't work that way. :lol Unless they have corrected this, I will continue to point to this as Exhibit A for why this team can't win.

c'mon guys, they've moved on to Rock n Roll Pt 2 already

Well, that doesn't seem to be working, either. Maybe some Black Flag or something. Winning the "Most polite atmosphere in the NHL" award might be great for bringing the kiddies, but this team/crowd needs to grow some teeth.

• 2 weeks later...
March 5, 2007

Dear Governor Rendell, County Executive Onorato and Mayor Ravenstahl:

Nearly eight years ago we bought the Penguins out of bankruptcy and have worked ever since to try to get a new multi-purpose arena. Now, with a growing sense of urgency because our lease at Mellon Arena expires in June, we have engaged in two months of negotiations on your "Plan B" proposal. We agreed to pay $3.6 million in annual rent as part of our proposal to keep the team in Pittsburgh. We also agreed to pay $400,000 a year in capital expenses, for an annual contribution of $4 million. This amounts to $120 million over 30 years. In addition, we agreed to be at risk for cost overruns. We can do no more.

Unfortunately, we still don't have a deal and are faced with mounting uncertainty that an agreement can be reached in a time frame that is realistic for our organization. Therefore, we have no choice but to declare an impasse and to notify NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman that we will aggressively explore relocation.

This is a disappointing but necessary conclusion, given the uncertainty that exists as we attempt to move forward. The recent appeals filed with the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, which may delay even further the awarding of the slots license and the primary funding source of the arena plan, cause us great concern. A project of this scope, with so many complex issues, can ill afford further delays that add more risk and more uncertainty.

The risk has been magnified by what we perceive as a lack of collaboration from the public sector in the negotiations. That does not bode well for the public/private partnership necessary to successfully navigate the multiple issues of an arena development of this magnitude.

On January 4, we visited Kansas City and were greeted with open arms by arena officials and political and business leaders and were treated as valued new partners in the community. The terms of the deal offered in Kansas City were for a rent-free arena with no risk of cost overruns and no risk to arena funding. The arena is scheduled to open for next season.

Despite this great offer, we wanted to keep the team in Pittsburgh and thought we owed it to our fans to do everything we could to make it work here. With that in mind, and on behalf of our organization, our loyal fans and the Pittsburgh region, we have made a single-minded effort to bring this new arena process to a successful conclusion and keep the team in Pittsburgh. Since the January 4 meeting we have played by the rules, extended our original deadline by 30 days, declined to visit any other cities and sought to work with you to try to finalize a deal.

Our good-faith efforts have not produced a deal, however, and have only added more anxiety to what we thought at best was a risky proposition for us moving forward. Those risks and the fact that our lease expires in less than four months leave us with no choice but to explore every option to ensure the long-term future of the Penguins organization.

Sincerely,

Mario Lemieux

Ron Burkle

cc: Gary Bettman, Commissioner

so, is this gonna happen or what? i'm ready to get some penguins gear if it does.

so, is this gonna happen or what? i'm ready to get some penguins gear if it does.

you'll need a new name -- there just isn't a ring to it

by the way, Blue Jackets have won 3 in a row when it matters least

you'll need a new name -- there just isn't a ring to it

by the way, Blue Jackets have won 3 in a row when it matters least

i want the team from pittsburgh combined with the name from st. louis. but i'll just settle for the team.

we can figure out the details later. there's nothing like witnessing an NHL game in person. it would be nice not to have to drive hundreds of miles to do so. whether or not it's the pens, k.c. needs a team.

i'm thinking pittsburgh would want k.c. to re-name the team the ice-holes if we get the pens. seriously, i'd like them to stay in pittsburgh, but if somebody's offering up a chance at sidney crosby, who in their right mind is gonna say no? blame this circus on the politicians in pa. it's not our fault in k.c.

i still think they are gonna stay.

It makes me really sad that the Penguins are movings. Thats like moving the Red Sox out of Boston. You simply can't do that...

Also, the Panthers are probably out of the hunt now, but if the Refs had shown just a little impartiallity in the Panthers-Thrashers game the other night we might still have a chance. That game was the biggest load of crap I've ever seen in my life.

I read this week that Nashville's owners can implement their "move" clause due to low attendance stats, and that they may do so . . .

This is somewhat less disheartening than the thought of the Pens leaving Pittsburgh, but moving teams around is always tough.

Dear NHL: (for all you NHL decision-makers who happen to read this board) I just moved from Connecticut and can attest that I know of a whole bunch of diehards who would love to have The Whale back in Hartford. Just an FYI.

Anyone see Chris Simon's cheap shot last night? Unbelievable!! He's gotta get like a 30 day suspension at least!

It would be really hard for the Pens to not take the KC deal. I hope they stay in Pittsburgh though. They have a solid fan base there, attendance near the top of the league, and strong tv ratings. If they do take the deal, it would be just like the Browns leaving Cleveland for Baltimore.

KC and Portland are deserving of teams. Hopefully some of the teams struggling with fan support will consider moving...

I read this week that Nashville's owners can implement their "move" clause due to low attendance stats, and that they may do so . . .

Very true, but the feeling here in Nashvegas is that Leopold (owner) is kind of just tossing that about to scare up some interest. He's looking for a minority owner (hopefully some local) and is trying to get more corporate interest from some of the big companies here. They are going back to calling the arena The Nashville Arena instead of calling it the Gaylord Entertainment Center as Gaylord has backed out of their naming rights deal.

All in all it's kind of sad. They get a pretty good gate at every home game and there are a lot of die hard fans. it just sucks though that you have one of the best teams in the NHL and except for the fans no one cares. Their coverage in the Nashville Tennessean sucks. All they write about is the Titans (and Pacman Jones idiocy) and NASCAR.

But what do you expect? Nashville isn't exactly a hockey hot bed but there are enough locals that get into it, plus a lot of transplants from the North that support them so....I'll give them 2-3 years before they really pull out of here.