The Police may reunite in 2007

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess is sting still doesn't want stewart anywhere near the mic.

i love that song btw.

Me too - and I have a dream that they will play things like that on the tour - but just like The Who, they will just play the hits I am sure.

February 07, 2007, 2:20 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

After weeks of speculation, a press conference and "special announcement" featuring rehearsals by the Police is set for Monday (Feb. 12) at the Whisky A Go Go in West Hollywood, Calif., the day after the band will reunite for a show-opening performance at the Grammys.

The 11 a.m. PT press conference and special announcement via live satellite broadcast is widely expected to be regarding a 30th anniversary world tour by the seminal rock trio.

The press conference announcement was made by promoter Live Nation. Given that, it is a likely assumption that Arthur Fogel, chairman of global touring for the company, will oversee the tour under LN's TNA International banner. Fogel and TNA have a past history producing Sting's world tours, and last year presented international runs by U2 and Madonna.

Was anyone really expecting anything less than a stadium tour?

I was kinda hoping for a small theater/ county fair bandstand type of deal. :hmm

I am pumped Dave Matthews wont be playing at Wrigley Field, as a lifelong Cubs fan I think that would further perpetuate a negative stereotype about us Cubs fans , if the Police came it would be... glorious.

Nothing they can do really, lots of people will want to see them, and a stadium is the only way.

I actually wonder if they'll be able to fill the stadiums. I'm sure they've done projections, etc. but is there a big enough market of folks willing to spend money on pricey tix (stadium protocol) to see a band that's notorius for being mediocre in concert, reunion or not, in cavernous venues? The target audience will be around 35-45 yr. olds, I'd imagine. I'm not so sure....

I realize bands like The Who and The Stones don't have problems filling stadiums with the same target audience, but they're The Who and The Stones....

I just hate stadium shows. Nothing they can do really, lots of people will want to see them, and a stadium is the only way.

The only stadium show I've ever been to was Paul McCartney. It was in the Georgia Dome. Actually, now that I think of it I saw the Stones there, too. We had decent seats for Paul, so it was fine, but we were so far away from the Stones (despite buying the second most expensive seats) that there was a significant time delay between Charlie Watts hitting his snare drum and us hearing it.

I figure the Police are going to play the biggest venues possible since they are very unlikely to tour again. Andy Summers will be 65 this year, so he probably isn't going to be interested in the whirlwind mega-tour after this one.

Edit: Damn, I saw Pink Floyd in a stadium, too. That was in Clemson, SC. I had forgoten all about that. That was one of the least fun concert experiences I've ever had. What a boring town.

The target audience will be around 35-45 yr. olds, I'd imagine. I'm not so sure....

umm...yeah, that would be me. they shouldn't have any problem with a well-planned stadium tour. once the intial dates are announced, it would gain momentum, dates added and i'm sure would be the top money making tour of 2007/08. they are at best inconsistent live, but when they are on...they are on. i'm very much looking forward to it.

Of all the statements in all the posts in all the threads on this site, you had to walk into mine.

but wait, didn't you see the Rolling Stones last year?

I've never seen a stadium show, and I don't think The Reunited Police will change that.

Stadium shows BLOW. The only thing I might be willing to see in a stadium would be a reunited Floyd, and I'd probably have to take out a second mortgage on the house to come up with the $$$ for that.