The Police may reunite in 2007

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god they're so loose at this point, but it's so much fun to hear them like this. It's almost sad that they're gonna be so polished come summer.

First date of tour: 5/28 in Vancouver (my 40th birthday ;) )

Apparently, they're rehearsing here too! Sounds like this would be a good time for you and Patti to come up for a visit. :D

they're scrolling tour dates on that video feed, I'll type along:

5/28 GM Place, Vancouver BC on sale 2/17

6/6 Key Arena, Seattle WA on sale TBA

6/9 Pepsi Center, Denver CO on sale TBA

6/15 MGM Grand Garden, Las Vegasa on sale TBA

6/16 Bonnaroo

6/18 US Airways Arena, PHoenix AZ on sale TBA

6/26 American Airlies Center, Dallas TX on sale TBA

6/30 New Orleans Arena, Ne Orleans LA on sale TBA

7/2 Scotttrade Center, St Louis MO on sale TBA

7/22 Air Canada Center, Toronto on sale 2/17

7/25 Bell Centre, Montreal on sale 2/17

7/28 Fenway Park, Boston on sale 2/20

8/1 & 8/3 Madison Square Fucking Garden NYC on sale 2/20

Mart, I didnt know that they changed the name to MSFG in New York. When did that happen??

if you're already a member of best buy's reward zone program (lucky me I already am!), you can get presale as well, but only for one show, and only for 2 tickets.

link to more info please? i am a member

Mart, I didnt know that they changed the name to MSFG in New York. When did that happen??

link to more info please? i am a member

aw, judes, that pre-sale took place yesterday, (no luck on tix for me). And yes, if you stroll downtown along 7th avenue past the west end of macy's towards the Village, you'll see in big block letters, "M A D I S O N S Q U A R E F U C K I N G G A R D E N"... It's the BEST! :)

General sale for a bunch of the shows is 2/20...

For more info, check out The brand-new, first-ever-official Police website

• 2 months later...

billboard.com

Police Heading To Vancouver For Final Tour Prep

May 07, 2007, 10:30 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

The Police convene in Vancouver this week to begin final preparations for their slavishly anticipated reunion tour, which begins there on May 28 -- preceded by a special fan club show the night before.

"It's feeling really good," guitarist Andy Summers tells Billboard.com. "It should take a slightly different shape now because in a couple weeks the stage arrives and the lighting and everything and we have to kind of choreograph the show with that. We've all been playing for another 20 years, so I think we're actually much better players than we were even in the Police in the early days."

Summers says the trio has mostly settled on a set list that, not surprisingly, hews towards the familiar. "There's so many hit songs that we sort of have to do all of those," he says. "We're not doing too many things off the wall. We've got about a two-hour show lined up of famous songs, basically."

He did say that the group had worked up the relatively rare "Truth Hits Everybody" from the first Police album, 1978's "Outlandos d'Amour," while the band is also considering playing acoustic arrangements of some songs. And, Summers adds, everything is subject to change "from seeing how it goes with the audiences."

Summers says he's also enjoying a series of "fantastic coincidences" that are occurring alongside the Police tour. He'll be publishing a paperback version of his well-reviewed 2006 memoir, "One Train Later," and reissuing his collaborations with Robert Fripp. He also has a photo book, "I'll Be Watching You: Inside the Police 1980-83," culled from 25,000 photos he shot in the early days of the band; a Taschen Artists Edition of 1,500 copies will be published in June, with a more affordable edition coming later this year.

And Summers has recorded a new instrumental album, "At First You Build a Cloud," with Yale classical guitar professor Ben Verdery.

But the most exciting of his extra-band projects may be Fender's Andy Summers Tribute Telecaster, which recreates his main Police guitar right down to the nicks and scratches featured on the original. Summers, who's also had tribute guitars issued by Gibson and Martin, says the 250-copy issue is already sold out.

"It's amazing ... a handmade, exact copy of every nick, dent and scratch on the original guitar, with sort of hybrid electronics," says Summers, who will be playing the replicas on the Police tour. "The Telecaster is such an important instrument in my own life, so seeing this (tribute) happen is kind of phenomenal."

Indeed.

Just like David Crosby said they were going to play "70 different songs" a few years ago on the CSNY tour I saw - they played the same songs every night.

And Pete saying The Who were going to break out some rare songs - they too, play basically the same set every night.

At least - they are upfront in that article - but if I recall correctly, in the webcast, they said they were going to play songs besides the hits.

so this will basically turn into an event where people pay $500 to hear the police's greatest hits album with nothing singular or original to speak of?

I read something the other day where they were saying that they had written some new songs - and that they may play them on the tour.

Well they need to play at least one, so that people can get a bathroom break.

There are only a few of the "oldies" acts that can play new songs and people really want to hear them....Dylan, Neil, Lou....and a few others.

i'll be satisfied with my $80 ticket just to hear So Lonely :)

I'd pay $80 to hear good versions of old Police songs (including So Lonely, Message in a Bottle, etc.) I'd be pissed though if I got a lame dad-jazz version of old Police songs.

Can they help stop themselves from ruining their songs on this tour?

• 3 weeks later...
The Police Return To The Stage With Vancouver Warm-Up

The Police

May 28, 2007, 10:00 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Police played their first concert in more than 20 years last night (May 27) in front of a fan club-only audience at Vancouver's GM Place, rocking through a 21-song, 125-minute set that went heavy on hits from the band's early 1980s heyday. The show opened with "Message in a Bottle" and closed with the spirited early hit "Next to You."

The group officially begins its mammoth reunion tour tonight at the same arena, with support from Fiction Plane. The trek is expected to last through the end of the year and will likely finish as the top ticket seller of 2007, according to estimates by Billboard.

Among the oddities that appeared in the warm-up show set list were "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic," which was rarely played live during the band's first incarnation, and a medley of "Voices Inside My Head" and "When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around," which was first tested out during a February press conference in Los Angeles.

Here is the Police's May 27, 2007, set list:

"Message in a Bottle"

"Synchronicity II"

"Don't Stand So Close to Me"

"Voices Inside My Head"/"When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around"

"Spirits in the Material World"

"Driven to Tears"

"Walking on the Moon"

"Truth Hits Everybody"

"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"

"Wrapped Around Your Finger"

"The Bed's Too Big Without You"

"Murder by Numbers"

"De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"

"Invisible Sun"

"Walking in Your Footsteps"

"Can't Stand Losing You"