Baby Name Stats

Boy. As suggested by Asher, my 4 year old boy. I believe he's recently bagged the "Cookie" part and is pushing for just "Spanish." He's a big fan of Dora The Explorer and Maya & Miguel.

i think you should tell asher that its a little femmy for a boy but i could totally get behind biscuit (which is really just cookie in UK talk) as a boy's name.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think you should tell asher that its a little femmy for a boy but i could totally get behind biscuit (which is really just cookie in UK talk) as a boy's name.

Heh. I like "Biscuit."

I tried to have Asher's middle name be "Cantaloupe" but the ol' lady wasn't down. It may be stupid, but I like how the word sounds. It's aesthetically pleasing to my ears.

i always have been fond of clementine because it is my favorite citrus fruit. a good one for a boy, along the same lines could be citron.

Yeah, citron has that crisp fruity air to it. Fresh. Well scented. Though I'd probably always associate the word with Absolut Vodka.

Fennel? Cran-Grape?

Fennel or Anise?We already name kids Basil and Rosemary and sorrel... so i think those would work. I'd stay away from anything hyphenated--it is so early 90s. oh hey, how about Chestnut? Tree names are always strong sounding: Serviceberry, Tupelo, Locust. Or you could really go back to the classics and pick latin tree names like Acer Rubrum (red maple) or Liquidambar styraciflua (sweetgum) or Prunus Virginiana (choke cherry).

Esme isn't even on there.

Weird thing is, since we had Esme we keep seeing the name in books and tv shows. AND two weeks ago actress Katey Sagal from Married with Children had a daughter and named her Esme Louise-which is our daughter's first AND middle names.

We thought that very odd.

No one in my family has any odd names, I come from hearty German and Irish Chicago stock and every name in my family is pretty normal and repeated quite often. I have four James's for cousins on one side alone. And my late uncle and grandfather. sheesh.

Before we knew we were having a girl Josh was picking out boys names and he came up with Virgil, Levon and Graham. I accused him of having some old school southern fetish.

And of course my son is Charles, and I'm still happy as hell I named him that. Charlie fits him perfectly.

Oh and yeah, I don't like all the trendy names of today. They're all soap opera names. blech

It's probably a good thing I don't have any kids as the names I would give would ensure a daily ass-whupping (probaby from a kid named Dylan). I think I already suggested Asa (did I?) but I also like Valentine (possibly as a middle name), Sebastian (trendy?), Dante (my dad's name for me had I been born a boy. Actually it would have been Dominic Dante. Dominic is fine, but I'd be a Nic before I'd be a Dom), and Ruby for a girl (after my grandmother).

I notice a "Caroline" spike shortly after I had mine. I wonder if that's the result of many girls my age relating to poor Caroline Kennedy when she lost her dad.

Oh, I totally forgot. I had a dream last night that I was in England and out walking around, when I happened upon an old man getting robbed. I saved the guy from his attacker, and in gratitude he offered to buy me a pint. After we got denied service one pub (he was known there, kind of a Wild Rover thing, I guess), we went to this other place and sat down with our pints (smallest friggin pints I've ever seen, btw, but they didn't cost me anything, so who's complaining?), when I noticed that our barmaid was none other than Alison Stewart of MTV News (and maybe now the Today Show?) fame. We got to chatting, and when I told her my name was Ben, she said, "I don't like Jewish names."

My point? Can you imagine what would have happened if I had told her my name was Citron? Probably nothing.

SHUT UP. Yes, that's Liam! I don't know why I never thought you might know them!

dude,

you KNOW that i know everyone. Not only do i know them, I know them SEPARATELY. Sarah is in my sewing class, Liam is on a message board with me that deals with urban issues AND caliber and i are making an offer on a house that is right around the corner from them TONITE. Also, our contractor friend's kid goes to school with Esme.

This is PROVIDENCE. it is SMALL. and i am wildly popular here. Just ask Liamlunchtray.

dude,

you KNOW that i know everyone. Not only do i know them, I know them SEPARATELY. Sarah is in my sewing class, Liam is on a message board with me that deals with urban issues AND caliber and i are making an offer on a house that is right around the corner from them TONITE. Also, our contractor friend's kid goes to school with Esme.

This is PROVIDENCE. it is SMALL. and i am wildly popular here. Just ask Liamlunchtray.

That is so crazy. I half-lived with Liam when I was at school there. We almost dated once. ALMOST, I said. I don't really know Sarah but I attended a wedding with them a few years ago.

Oh, also, Liam and I are both mentioned in a song together. Next time you see him, tell him you've heard rumblings of the fabled Adventure Crew.

And, GOOD LUCK TONIGHT!!!