Baby Name Stats

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really? That's pretty crazy. I've never met a person outside of my family with the same last name.

There's a guy at my company with the same last name as you. In fact, he got married to someone else who works here a while back, so there are now two people with that last name.

There are some people in my family with some older names that aren't as common anymore (my parents are Barry and Rhonda, grandparents on my dad's side are Julius and Celia, and my mother's parents were Estelle and Max), but nothing really strange, other than my little cousin named Karsyn, which wouldn't be such a strange name if not for the creative spelling. Her brother is named Owen, which I guess probably isn't very common anymore either, but I've never really thought of it as being strange or anything.

There was that basketball player, World B. Free.

I'm a "Chris" and there is at least one (perhaps two) folks in Denver with the same first and last name as myself. I used to get calls for him every now and then, but it's been awhile. Maybe he's dead.

My grandmother went to school with a kid named Robin Jay Wren.

I have some uncommon names in my family:

Norma Merle: grandmother

Ethel: grandmother (deceased)

Nello: grandfather (old Italian name)

Muriel: aunt

Faith: aunt

Kyle: aunt (uncommon as a girl's name)

I can't imagine why I haven't thought to mention this yet as many times as I've looked at this thread. My dad's name is Tubby. He just uses his middle name (Lee) but some of the family call him Tub.

Tubby is his given name? Wow. I could see why he goes by the middle name. I hope that he wasn't overweight as a kid or I would imagine he would probably have been completely terrorized.

He was born in rural oklahoma in the 20s. Apparently his mother (Liddie) thought his little baby belly was rather big and round. His siblings all got regular names. I think he did tell me once of being teased about the name as a kid. :(

Wow, I had no idea Owen had become that common. He was born in 2003, so I guess he's sort of part of a mini-trend.

I have 3 Owens in my life belonging to friends or family and all were born right around 2003

And all 3 parents thought they were being unique

I have 3 Owens in my life belonging to friends or family and all were born right around 2003

And all 3 parents thought they were being unique

:lol That's funny. We were considering Owen if our first child had been a boy--in 2003, also--we thought it was fairly rare, too. Oh well. We had also considered Ethan, not thinking that was very popular, but that one seems to be gaining recently, too. But none of those names can hold a candle to the fact that I think I personally know at least 352 children named Jacob born in the last 3 years.(that might be an exaggeration, but not by much)

Fortunately for me, we keep having girls, so we haven't had to think too hard about boys names.

• 3 weeks later...
at the moment, i think i'd name my child dylan- girl or boy.

yes i'm a bob dylan fan girl

Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, but is this not the most overused name for kids these days?

my friends just had a daughter a few months ago. They went with Iyla(eye-la). I really like that one and hadn't heard it before.

Nice ring to it.

Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, but is this not the most overused name for kids these days?

Kind of thinking the same thing.

There's a chapter in Freakonomics about how the trendy names trickle down to the unwashed masses and why yesterday's richy-poo Britanny is today's trailer park Britannie (or Britanie, or Britney).