Baby Name Stats

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My name is seriously due for a resurgence. Maud, Maude and Maudie have not made the top 1000 since the 1940s.

Parents-to-be, this is your chance to get in on the leading edge of the next "hot" name!

Phew, my choices are still low on the popularity scale.

I work with 4 people who have named their daughters Madison in the last 3 years. As a 'Jennifer', #1 name of the 1970s, I can tell you that it sucks to have such a common name.

My name is seriously due for a resurgence. Maud, Maude and Maudie have not made the top 1000 since the 1940s.

Parents-to-be, this is your chance to get in on the leading edge of the next "hot" name!

How about 'Mod' or maybe 'Maw?'

If it were up to me, I'd name all my kids after neat scientific names of animals and plants and whatnot.

I've been happy to have my name, Loretta Lynn. Loretta, the name, peaked in popularity in the 1930s. I'm a little disappointed when I meet other Lorettas and I do fairly often. I've yet to meet another Loretta Lynn (though I'd like to meet the Loretta Lynn). My partner (one of 50 trillion Ryans born in the eighties) opted to give our daughter a name we hope will remain relatively unpopular, Jamila.

and..I think Maude is a great name! :thumbup

My mother's name is Mary Margaret. She is called Margie (with a hard 'g') by all who know her. When my dad was goofing around, he would call her Maude or Maudie. I love that name.

I've been happy to have my name, Loretta Lynn. Loretta, the name, peaked in popularity in the 1930s. I'm a little disappointed when I meet other Lorettas and I do fairly often. I've yet to meet another Loretta Lynn (though I'd like to meet the Loretta Lynn). My partner (one of 50 trillion Ryans born in the eighties) opted to give our daughter a name we hope will remain relatively unpopular, Jamila.

My grandmother, b. 1927, was named Loretta. My mom is named Lorene. I am named Daniel; my sister is named Amy.

My mother's name is Mary Margaret. She is called Margie (with a hard 'g') by all who know her. When my dad was goofing around, he would call her Maude or Maudie. I love that name.

Thanks guys! I honestly would have thought it would have made some kind of jump recently, what with the trend for more old-fashioned sounding names (all of those Sams and Sadies...).

I think Loretta Lynn is a fantastic name (as is Jamila!). I'm reminded of the singer Patsy Montana, whose name was changed for her career. Her actual name was Ruby Rose, which I think is about 1000x cooler than Patsy Montana.

A (youngish, white) guy in my office has daughters named Ruby and Selma. When a friend of mine heard that, she said "oh, I didn't realize you worked with a sharecropper."

And MChris, I would love to see the stats on how many women of our mothers' and grandmothers' generations were named Mary Margaret!

Thanks guys! I honestly would have thought it would have made some kind of jump recently, what with the trend for more old-fashioned sounding names (all of those Sams and Sadies...).

I think Loretta Lynn is a fantastic name (as is Jamila!). I'm reminded of the singer Patsy Montana, whose name was changed for her career. Her actual name was Ruby Rose, which I think is about 1000x cooler than Patsy Montana.

A (youngish, white) guy in my office has daughters named Ruby and Selma. When a friend of mine heard that, she said "oh, I didn't realize you worked with a sharecropper."

And MChris, I would love to see the stats on how many women of our mothers' and grandmothers' generations were named Mary Margaret!

Indeed!

Her mother's name was Margaret Mary, and I am Margaret Christine.

My grandmother's older sister was Mary, and Grandma is Margaret. :lol

Once at a family party, an in-law was stunned when it was pointed out to her that there were three generations of Nancy Annes sitting in a row. Apparently on her side of the family no one was ever named after anyone else. :rolleyes And don't get me started on the Dans in my family!

I'm a big fan of the name "Earl," (it's just plain fun to say) but my wife will have nothing to do with it.

As the birth of our 3rd son approaches, I've been making a late push for similar "old man" (as my wife refers to them) names: Gus, Walter, Oscar, etc. I conceded to middle-name billing for the first two kids, and am pretty damn adamant about winning the bid for the first-name slot.

The clock winds down....

My grandmother's older sister was Mary, and Grandma is Margaret. :lol

Once at a family party, an in-law was stunned when it was pointed out to her that there were three generations of Nancy Annes sitting in a row. Apparently on her side of the family no one was ever named after anyone else. :rolleyes And don't get me started on the Dans in my family!

Sarah's dad explained to me that it is Jewish custom to not use the names of relatives that are yet living. (Totally opposite of my family tradition.) Two of my favorite boy's names, Seth and Max, were living relatives in his family. It is fortunate then that we had a girl, as Sarah was the name of his great aunt, "a character and drinking establishment owner" who had already passed. :lol

My youngest (for the next couple of months anyways) is named Jacob. How original could we be?

The next one will be Grace. It was popular with people who are from the generation before me and with little kids now, but I don't know of anyone in their late twenties/early thirties with that name.

I'm a big fan of the name "Earl," (it's just plain fun to say) but my wife will have nothing to do with it.

As the birth of our 3rd son approaches, I've been making a late push for similar "old man" (as my wife refers to them) names: Gus, Walter, Oscar, etc. I conceded to middle-name billing for the first two kids, and am pretty damn adamant about winning the bid for the first-name slot.

The clock winds down....

I like the "old man" names. Of those mentioned, Walter would be my pick...makes me think of Walter Matthau, who I fell in love with as a girl. And come to think of it, he played Oscar in the Odd Couple. Is there some Walter Matthau thing going on in your head of which you are unawares, maybe?

And would Gus be short for something like Augustus or August? I know a of a kid named August who is mostly called Auggie (which I like).

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

I've done pretty much nothing else for the past few days. :lol This is absolutely fascinating to me.

As the recipient of a torturiously odd name, I do officially hereby beseech all prospective parents to picture the literal and metaphoric beatings your child will get.

Please, PLEASE stop the insanity.

Sometimes I could just slap my mama.

Thank You.

I like the "old man" names. Of those mentioned, Walter would be my pick...makes me think of Walter Matthau, who I fell in love with as a girl. And come to think of it, he played Oscar in the Odd Couple. Is there some Walter Matthau thing going on in your head of which you are unawares, maybe?

And would Gus be short for something like Augustus or August? I know a of a kid named August who is mostly called Auggie (which I like).

Not sure about the Walter Matthau deal, but could be. I knew a dude about 20 years ago who had a twin brother named Walter. I just always thought it was a cool name for a young guy.

My wife has suggested August/Auggie thing, too. Auggie wouldn't sound good with our last name, as it ends in the "-ie" sound, as well. If I had to go the August root to get to "Gus," I'd consider, though.

If there were only a way to trick her into "Earl," though....

Not sure about the Walter Matthau deal, but could be. I knew a dude about 20 years ago who had a twin brother named Walter. I just always thought it was a cool name for a young guy.

My wife has suggested August/Auggie thing, too. Auggie wouldn't sound good with our last name, as it ends in the "-ie" sound, as well. If I had to go the August root to get to "Gus," I'd consider, though.

If there were only a way to trick her into "Earl," though....

Oscar Zeta Beatty..or my personal favorite, Hunter Scott Beatty :thumbup

i nearly named my son Cliff (my grandpa was named Clifford), but we decided to name him Ian.

i was born in 75 and was almost named jason. EVERY male baby in the maternity ward was named jason, except me. i have three cousins and a step brother named jason

I still stand by naming a daughter "Fred"

:yes

I could see that. A friend of mine named one of her daughters "Frankie" and another "Jessie." Guess she was on a James brothers kick 20-some years ago.

Oscar Zeta Beatty..or my personal favorite, Hunter Scott Beatty :thumbup

:lol

i nearly named my son Cliff (my grandpa was named Clifford), but we decided to name him Ian.

i was born in 75 and was almost named jason. EVERY male baby in the maternity ward was named jason, except me. i have three cousins and a step brother named jason

This is true. I was born in '75 and was named Jason.