Apple taking over the world...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know....with all the features it's like a mini computer. Besides, people drop $700 on a PS3. Times have changed.

Mmmmmmmmaybe. The mini-computerishness is undoubtedly cool and will attract people, but it is not a replacement for anybody's home computer/laptop, so it is really just another additional pricey (and not terribly necessary) appliance. And when people are already spending $700 on gaming systems, I would think the primary market for this is a rather smallish group of gadget junkies with a considerable amount of disposable income.(then again, this is Apple's core market for just about everything, so maybe they know what they're doing) It will sell, but I don't see this sort of thing becoming as ubiquitous as the iPod for a long time.

I completely agree.

As far as this being a mini-computer...how much experience do you have browsing the web, looking at emails, etc. on such a small screen?

Another little thing is that this won't be compatible w/ Cingular's 3G network (which floors me)...so look for slower speeds four surfing and downloads than you're used to on your PC kids.

yeah, that's so stupid they went with Edge. but in the keynote he states it will be able to do Wimax soon...

Mmmmmmmmaybe. The mini-computerishness is undoubtedly cool and will attract people, but it is not a replacement for anybody's home computer, so it is really just another additional pricey (and not terribly necessary) appliance. And when people are already spending $700 on gaming systems, I would think the primary market for this is a rather smallish group of gadget junkies with a considerable amount of disposable income. It will sell, but I don't see this sort of thing becoming as ubiquitous as the iPod for a long time.

for it to sell like the regular iPod's it would first:

a) have to be available on the major carriers T-Mobile, Verizon, and possibly even Sprint, in addition to Cingular

B) come down to around $249 for the 4 gig and $399 for the 8 gig with a 2 year contract

that's the big stickler, you're committing yourself to paying $59 a month ($39 phone plan + $20 data plan) for 2 years, so Cingular gets you for $2400 right away

yeah, that's so stupid they went with Edge. but in the keynote he states it will be able to do Wimax soon...

Missed that.

Pee, that Serch track rips it up. Thankee!

for it to sell like the regular iPod's it would first:

a) have to be available on the major carriers T-Mobile, Verizon, and possibly even Sprint, in addition to Cingular

B) come down to around $249 for the 4 gig and $399 for the 8 gig with a 2 year contract

that's the big stickler, you're committing yourself to paying $59 a month ($39 phone plan + $20 data plan) for 2 years, so Cingular gets you for $2400 right away

Excllent point people aren't probably thinking about.

i have a feeling the 5 hour battery life on this thing is gonna be a huge sticking point in reviews...

:huh

Is that for real? Hahahaha. Worthless.

Also, where the hell is iLife '07? And more substantially, where is Leopard? Not that it will be hugely improved, but I was kind of waiting to buy my macbook.

As far as this being a mini-computer...how much experience do you have browsing the web, looking at emails, etc. on such a small screen?

None, but soon enough everyone will. Ten years from now. Hell, maybe by then we'll be enjoying small devices that project images/content to mimic a computer screen, but in between, we'll be getting used to small screens on portable computers.

Also, where the hell is iLife '07? And more substantially, where is Leopard? Not that it will be hugely improved, but I was kind of waiting to buy my macbook.

is there anything specific you're looking forward to in iLife 2007?

iLife isn't all that great honestly. and you'll get it free with any mac, even if it's 2004, 2006, etc., and you can always upgrade iPhoto and the other apps for free using Software Update. the only thing i SOMETIMES use out of iLife is iPhoto (it pisses me off more than anything usually), and occasionally when i'm bored and want something simple w/ my midi keyboard, Garageband.

as for Leopard, it was never going to be announced this early anyway. it'll likely be announced around April and ship by June. but i too was annoyed we didn't get any new features/demonstrations/info today :(. nothing they talked about during the keynote really even had to do with any mac computers... i guess thus the dropping of Computer from Apple Computers, Inc. :ohwell

as someone who waited 4-5 months for the Core 2 Duo macbooks to come out, there really is no reason for you to wait imo. if you're waiting for Leopard, just download it later via torrent ;)

I believe on the macrumors live updates of the keynote speech or whatever it said a MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE deal with Cingular, which seems like it would just be crippling.

oooof. :no

you're dead right on that one. nobody i know in the Twin Cities here uses Cingular cuz it's coverage here sucks.

over the last 9 years i've been with every major provider except AT&T/Cingular

and i thought i read that Cingular is now going BACK to using the AT&T Wireless name soon? blah

and you'll get it free with any mac, even if it's 2004, 2006, etc., and you can always upgrade iPhoto and the other apps for free using Software Update. the only thing i SOMETIMES use out of iLife is iPhoto (it pisses me off more than anything usually), and occasionally when i'm bored and want something simple w/ my midi keyboard, Garageband.

I can't use my webcam for video (sorry ladies) without iLife 06, which I would have to buy, even though I have iLife.

thats certainly true, though wii all know what console most people are buying, and it costs $250.

But what system are people willing to get shot over? ;)

I agree though that it will be the gadget-holics who are going to trip over themselves to get in line for the iPhone. I guess I just know a lot of gadget-holics because everyone I've talked to at work today is going nuts over it.

I also agree that it's best to wait until all the beta testers do the dirty work and find the bugs and negative properties. One thing Apple has always been great at is fixing problems quickly (except for the cranky iPod drives, although I never had a problem with the 3 I've owned).

yup. this isn't going to do as well as people think, and a big reason is it being stuck on Cingular through 2009, in addition to the price.

sure a few total gadget nerds will be willing to switch to Cingular just to have it, but i can't see it bringing too many customers over if they're not already with Cingular. if they could have done something with a one year contract it might be more succesful, but it's a huge risk/investment in my book

it's sad too, because it appears to be the makings of a fucking amazing device. but for those who aren't fans of Cingular, and those who don't wanna drop the $600 + $60 a month, it's nothing more than a paperweight for the most part.

i'd honestly buy something like this sans phone capabilities for $350-400 if they made a PDA type version of it

i'd prefer the touch wheel myself

but then again i'm super anal about fingerprints & scratches :lol

yeah i keep thinking of all the times my dad used to tell me not to keep touching the monitor, and with the iPhone your viewing area is going to get touched all the time. And its not just touching, but dragging motions, etc, so its not going to have that pristene look for too long.

In other words, I'm quitting my job and starting up a iPhone screen protector business.

P.S. Apple stock rose more than $7.00 TODAY, which pleases me greatly!

The device does look very cool... the interface looks smooth and easy to use, but then it is a rendering and not the actual device.

Not sure how all those facilities will work on real networks though, like going to individual voicemails etc... no details on network or price info for the uk yet but we've got to wait till the end of the year anyway.

As in a physical keyboard with a midi controller? Do you a usb converter for that or do Macs have midi ports these days? Or are you just using a keyboard that connects via USB?

i can't speak for what he does, but macs don't have midi ports, no. I use a USB to midi connector, personally