Kotche - live crickets on stage?

Too funny

There is a precedent for this though...back in 1975 when the Dead were on hiatus they played a fairly famous show in San Francisco (Great American Music Hall) where they debuted their new album "Blues for Allah". They had a bunch of live crickets miked up for a song or two.

Anyways....I don't know why I knew that

I was on the front row in Memphis on 1/16, and he did take a black cloth off a number of boxes (about 12) then lift the lids individually for the song "Monkey Chant." They were mic'd from above. The lids and the cloth muffled the sound when he was finished, but I could still hear them when the song was over. You can see the boxes here: http://glennkotche.com/technical.php#top

I don't follow Glenn's solo work closely, so can a wise percussionist enlighten us? I thought they were crickets. They sounded like crickets.

He says what they were in the OP story:

They are little electronic chirping boxes designed to sound like crickets.

:lol Those Chinese sure are clever. I really can't figure out why people are so mystified by cricket boxes with mechanical noisemakers in them. I have a similar box that has a bird in it, yea..its mechanical and chirps when you open it...amazing huh?

LouieB

Glenn has an article in March's Modern Drummer mag about glueing coins to his brushes and making mallets out of superballs cut in half.

True story.

Not that this has much at all to do with this thread....ok, nothing at all....but when superballs were first invented, the fat 2' diameter black hard rubber ones.....we lived close to a superball factory and my 2 big brothers would go down there and collect the factory rejects that were slightly misshapen or had a lump on them......They'd bring home boxes of them! Man could those thing bounce! :blink And talk about unpredictable!!!!!! :w00t And talk about your parents yelling and telling you to get away from the big glass patio doors!!!!!!!!! :P

Those were the days, my friends. B)

:w00t Lucky!!

:yes Lucky, and dangerous! Does it really get any better? I'm not even going to get into climbing over the freight cars when they were stopped at our favorite crossing coming home from school. kidsmoke is fortunate to have survived childhood. B)

So how about that Glenn and those fake crickets?!

Too funny

There is a precedent for this though...back in 1975 when the Dead were on hiatus they played a fairly famous show in San Francisco (Great American Music Hall) where they debuted their new album "Blues for Allah". They had a bunch of live crickets miked up for a song or two.

Anyways....I don't know why I knew that

I'm glad you mentioned this. It was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. :thumbup

I had a few pet chameleons once and they eat live crickets. Well, I got sick of going to the pet store every week to buy a dozen crickets so I ordered online 500 crickets and decided I would try to breed them. Those poor suckers came in a styrofoam cup (maybe about 52 oz.) jampacked...about a third had died presumabely on the trip. Anyways, as my dad and I - a couple of real geniuses - opened the container in our patio and tried to dump the chirpers into a small aquarium, quite a few started jumping all over the house, made their way into the kitchen and eventually took shelter in the basement. For years there would be crickets singing in the cool dark basement when the lights turned off.

Glad Glenn decided not to use live crickets, they're a pain the ass!

Note: Kidsmoke just referred to him/herself in the third person.

Yes, kidsmoke worries herself a bit when she does that. :P

We have live crickets in the house as food for the kids' frogs and toads. We transfer them from purchase-bag to their holding bin with the utmost care, but a few brave souls always manage to vault to freedom. Glenn can come over anytime he needs crickets, because there are usually a few spares running loose....not as many as at Nonlinear's house, though. :lol

We have live crickets in the house as food for the kids' frogs and toads. We transfer them from purchase-bag to their holding bin with the utmost care, but a few brave souls always manage to vault to freedom.

i apologise for being the meanest man in the whole wide world, but i transfer those little fuckers to the bottom of my shoe. sorry :hug

PETA needs to reconsider their position on cricket musicians. They dig playing with Glenn.

Well of course they do! It's a privilege! And as long as nobody is messing with superballs and froggie's not there, nobody gets hurt. B)

We have crickets in our basement regularly, they sound wonderful, but our cats also eat them regularly. I often find little cricket pieces scattered about the house. It doesn't leave me with much of a housekeeping reputation.

Fortunately, I am no longer a member of PETA, otherwise I'd have to turn my cats in to the authorities.

I'm glad you mentioned this. It was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. :thumbup

Oh yeah! I figured you might pick up on that, what with your avatar and all

sucks no more DP's eh?

Oh yeah! I figured you might pick up on that, what with your avatar and all

sucks no more DP's eh?

No kidding! :hmm I did get the Rhino thing a week or so ago (12/31/76), but that was the first release of any kind for over a year. Too long!

At least there are still kind traders out there. :yes