Prince - Super Bowl performance

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch football, or listen to Prince - it's just some thing I heard of the radio this morning.

That explains quite a bit.

What was the second song played during the press conference, the one after Johnny B. Goode? You Need Another Lover? I've been meaning to get into Prince since the summer; this performance may be the catalyst.

Anotherloverholeinyohead. Great song off of Parade, an underrated Prince classic.

The three Super Bowls I attended featured the following halftime performers:

XXXIV - Atlanta

Producer: Disney

Theme: Tapestry of Nations

Performers: Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton, 80-person choir

XXXV - Tampa

Producer: MTV

Theme: The Kings of Rock and Pop

Performers: Aerosmith, *N

I liked it. I wish there were more Prince songs. I thought the Foo Fighters cover and the versions of proud mary and watchtower were kind of a joke aimed at the superbowl audience.

...a funny one too

I sure didn't get the joke if that was his intention. Prince always throws in covers when he plays live.

Apparently Rush and the Foo Fighters got together to watch the Superbowl this past Sunday at producer Nick Raskulinecz's house. In an MTV.com article about Prince's covering of the Foo Fighters tune Best of You at this year's Superbowl halftime show, Foo drummer Taylor Hawkins states the following:

"Dude, I have no idea why he did it, but I'd love to find out," Hawkins laughed."I mean, the thought went through my head that maybe he was doing it as a sort of 'F--- you' to us, or maybe he really likes the song. Either way, it was pretty amazing to have a guy like Prince covering one of our songs - and actually doing it better than we did."

Hawkins said he was clueless about Prince's plans to work "Best of You" into his Super Bowl set. "I was watching the game at our producer [Nick] Raskulinecz's house, and since he's doing the new Rush album, all the guys from the band were there," he said. "I mean, I'm outside smoking a cigarette with [Rush drummer] Neil Peart and someone sticks their head outside and goes, 'Uh, dude, Prince is doing your song.' " Hawkins said he hasn't heard from anyone in Prince's camp about the cover (neither has MTV News, which made several attempts to contact him about his Super Bowl medley).

If you were among the 90 million or so Americans who tuned in to Super Bowl XLI, you were no doubt left with a few questions to go along with your Monday morning hangover: Is Rex Grossman just Neil O'Donnell reincarnated? Do people honestly find Carlos Mencia funny? And what was Prince doing working a version of the Foo Fighters' "Best of You" into his high-octane halftime set?

Well, we may not have the answers to all those quandaries