Considering A) the new Wilco album isn't floating around for human ears to digest and B ) this year's already spectacular set of albums, I would say that they more than have competition for record of the year. Going to be the best year for new music since 2002 or 2003...whatever year it was that was super good right around there.

Considering A) the new Wilco album isn't floating around for human ears to digest and B ) this year's already spectacular set of albums, I would say that they more than have competition for record of the year. Going to be the best year for new music since 2002 or 2003...whatever year it was that was super good right around there.

Agreed. This year will go down as one of the best in recent years!

The rough sketches of sky blue sky are just a hint of what we may hear come May...Remember Spiders?

Neon Bible is gorgeous and exhilarating, i'm very fortunate to have an advance and am now listening once a day, sometimes twice (like today!). i think the really good year was 2002 - YHF, Yoshimi, Sea Change, and, yes, Rush of Blood to the Head.

In my opinion, the best year for music within this decade has been 2003. Just off the top of my head, here are some of the albums that were released:

The Wrens - Meadowlands

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

The Strokes - Room on Fire

Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway

Broken Social Scene - You Forget it in People

!!! - Louden Up Now

Calexico - Feast of Wire

The Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (I was nto a fan but others like it)

Longwave - The Strangest Things

The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers

M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts

Manitoba - Up in Flames

Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll & Love is Hell 1-2

Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People

Muse - Absolution

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves

The Postal Service - Give Up

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Ted Leo - Hearts of Oak

Twilight Singers - Blackberry Belle

Plus tehre were good albums out by Cat Power, Elbow, and The Stills. 2002 was good (all the ones you mentioned plus Spoon's - Kill the Moonlight) but in my opinion, 2003 owns it.

I got a leak of "Neon Bible" off the internets last week, and while I've heard some say that the leaks sound like junk mine sounds really good... strange. It's a really great record though. I like it tons more than "Funeral" which I like quite a bit.

i would say that Neon Bible is much more consistent than Funeral - in that almost all of the songs are really good (with the probably exception of the title track, which is decent but a little underwhelming). and a bonus for me is that the chick doesn't sing lead on any of the songs (except for half of one).

I got a leak of "Neon Bible" off the internets last week, and while I've heard some say that the leaks sound like junk mine sounds really good... strange. It's a really great record though. I like it tons more than "Funeral" which I like quite a bit.

that's because a high quality leak surfaced a week and a half ago or so :)

Now don't be mean, but is Neon Bible the name of the band or a record?

I don't know and was wondering, seems alot of ya'll like'em :yes

off topic...

I did extras on a movie called "Neon Bible" back in the 90's, that's why I read the topic... :blush

Now don't be mean, but is Neon Bible the name of the band or a record?

I don't know and was wondering, seems alot of ya'll like'em :yes

off topic...

I did extras on a movie called "Neon Bible" back in the 90's, that's why I read the topic... :blush

Neon Bible is Arcade Fire's new album (I believe)

Seriously? The Terence Davies movie? I love that movie--although more for the rhythms and images than for the casting.

I'm holding off on listening to this album until the official release, but I have to ask, how does this "No Cars Go" compare to the EP version? Big changes?

I don't like it near as much. It's a lot more polished and there are a few more things happening in it. It loses some of it's edge though.

In my opinion, the best year for music within this decade has been 2003. Just off the top of my head, here are some of the albums that were released:

The Wrens - Meadowlands

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

The Strokes - Room on Fire

Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway

Broken Social Scene - You Forget it in People

!!! - Louden Up Now

Calexico - Feast of Wire

The Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (I was nto a fan but others like it)

Longwave - The Strangest Things

The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers

M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts

Manitoba - Up in Flames

Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll & Love is Hell 1-2

Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People

Muse - Absolution

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves

The Postal Service - Give Up

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Ted Leo - Hearts of Oak

Twilight Singers - Blackberry Belle

Plus tehre were good albums out by Cat Power, Elbow, and The Stills. 2002 was good (all the ones you mentioned plus Spoon's - Kill the Moonlight) but in my opinion, 2003 owns it.

Death Cab and The Postal Service suck!

Seriously? The Terence Davies movie? I love that movie--although more for the rhythms and images than for the casting.

Yes, seriously... The parts I was part of was filmed out in a little town in Georgia, Crawfordville....

One day we had a tornado warning and had to go into this one building and then they moved us...

It was extremely hot, typical Georgia weather... I know my feet hurt so bad from walking up and down the sidewalk...

You can catch two glimpes of me, once at the train behind the older lady, never can remember her name...

Then all of us walking to the train... The church scenes I didn't get to do (my real job got in the way)

It was fun and an experience... There isn't anything as good looking as a man in uniform... :wub

I don't like it near as much. It's a lot more polished and there are a few more things happening in it. It loses some of it's edge though.

Seconded. It's a totally superfluous rendition (a new keyboard part is the only change I can discern), and I'd be a little bummed about its inclusion if it weren't of a piece with the record as a whole. It's a great song in any context, thankfully, which keeps it from being a skip track or a spot of frustration.

really? you didn't notice the VERY obvious tempo change?

it's like a difference of probably 30-40 bpm...

the old EP version was really slow and prodding, this new one is modeled after the live version that they've been playing the last 4 years now, only w/ a bit more orchestration.

the CBC in-studio version is still the best though ("this is not a wedding")

but i think they knocked this new version out of the park, and as a result it's easily a highpoint of the record (as it's always been one of their best songs live)