who bought the new charlie louvin album today?

I've heard Jeff Tweedy wrote Im The Man Who Loves You about a certain Jenny Lewis. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

you have hijacked my thread

Yes, they have. :nono Poor Charlie Louvin, he's gettin' no respect and he deserves it, at his age.

So back on topic!

Sam, what song does JT play on? I saw Pitchfork mention that he was on the album, but not the track he plays on. Tell us more!

I wonder how Charlie Louvin ever even found out who Jeff Tweedy is.

I dunno, probably the same way Johnny Cash ended up singing Nine Inch Nails songs. I'm pretty sure there was a manager/producer somewhere who said "Hey, here's an idea. There are some younger musicians who I bet would like a shot at recording something with you if you're interested..."

From his website....."The self-titled disc, produced by Mark Nevers (Lambchop, Calexico, Candi Staton) and Charlie Louvin, was recorded in Spring/Summer 2006 in Nashville. It features guest performances by Elvis Costello, Jeff Tweedy, Will Oldham, Tom T. Hall, George Jones, Bobby Bare Sr., Tift Merritt, Marty Stuart, David Kilgour, and members of Bright Eyes, Lambchop, Superchunk, Blanche and Clem Snide, among others. "

Older recording artists often do these kinds of albums near the ends of their careers (remember those Sinatra albums when the guy could hardly stand up??) so it is no surprise they drafted Jeff along with these other folks to punch up what may be Charlie's last album. Jeff is in good company don't you think??

Here is the link.

LouieB

Sam, what song does JT play on? I saw Pitchfork mention that he was on the album, but not the track he plays on. Tell us more!

he's on "great atomic power" which is a louvin bros song.

just background vocals.

personally, i'm a big lambchop fan, so that's why i got the album. jeff tweedy is just a bonus.

the devil hijacked your thread; cos satan is real, working in spirit - you can see him and hear him in these threads every day.

my husband just bought a t-shirt with that album cover on it. it rocks.

Jeff sang the harmony on it on the Uncle Tupelo version, I think.

Actually, I like Jeff better than anybody else on that list.

I like alot of people on this list, but just like with the Johnny Paycheck tribute album, it was nearly impossible to figure out it was Jeff singing. This is a wonderful thing for the surviving Louvin Brother, but these projects are rarely as good as the original material (either by the orgininal artist or by those who covered it in new and original ways such as Uncle Tupelo.) I sometimes think we would all be better off buying the reissues of the orginal material. There is another Louvin Brothers tribute CD that's reasonably good too, but without a Louvin Brother on it.

Needless to say I will find a copy of this someday too.

LouieB

I've heard Jeff Tweedy wrote Im The Man Who Loves You about a certain Jenny Lewis. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

you are all bastards. i thought im the man who loves you was about your mom, oooo got 'em..

I have listened to most of the album and didn't care for it too much. The star power on it is strong but I don't think I'll be purchasing it. It doesn't hold up too the better Louvin Brothers stuff. I do agree that the guy deserves much respect. I just don't think it's that strong an offering.

this album can be downloaded on emusic...

or you could just download the track with jeff tweedy (numba 2)

http://www.emusic.com/album/11005/11005214.html

snappy tune, though i might not agree with all the jesus talk in it

orlyflaglol_2.gif

Anyone know if this track is available on any "pay-per-download" service. eMusic is a monthly fee not a pay per use service, right?