I'm based on a DAW, but I don't use pro tools. Pro Tools isn't really worth the expense. If you have a decent hardware setup, DAW can be very economical...see if you can get demos of cubase, sonar, abelton live, etc...and the one that works best for you.

I'm based on a DAW, but I don't use pro tools. Pro Tools isn't really worth the expense. If you have a decent hardware setup, DAW can be very economical...see if you can get demos of cubase, sonar, abelton live, etc...and the one that works best for you.

I payed 1,200 for a DAW (digi 002 Rack) and protools with some plugins. You can get stuff based on Cubase that has like 8 in's for I think around 800. But I've heard both versions, and after a while you can start to tell the difference between the pre-amps in the Digi versus that in the Firepod or whatever. They're super clean. Also, if you have any interest in getting into the industry at all, it's pretty much all based on ProTools, so far as the digital side goes. So you're gonna have to switch it all around eventually anyways. But otherwise, Cubase and stuff is the way to go if you like it. Also check out Logic if you have a mac.

For mics though I got nothin special, AT3035 and some MXL's for the condensers, then a slew of 57's and a D112.

Anyone got any recordings they've done?

I use a combintion of outboard gear and DAW. Currently I am using Audacity to record, mix and edit but I will be deciding on a more permanent set up. I have Ableton and N-Tracks as well but I really don't like either one. For hardware I have a Line 6 TonePort that I use for I\O and I line out of that into a Berringer Xenyx 2442 mixer. I have a some KRK RP5 powered montiors and KRK powered sub that I use for playback and mixing.

I pretty much use Line 6 Gearbox for all my effects, vocals and guitars. I have my drums mic'ed and running into the mixer and I use the mixer to dial those in before I track drums. That's pretty much it besides mics.

With DAW you have so many plugin options it's hard not to go that way. From a cost standpoint you'd never be able to buy all the gear you can digitally model. Many of those plugins are free.

Here's my "studio" if you want to look. Guess you don't have a choice since I posted pics.

DSC00930.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

Soooo jealous.

How do you feel about not being able to mix the drums post recording? Because Im about to start doing that myself to get more live stuff. Im gonna run the drums through 2 stereo tracks, use another 2 for acoustic/voice and then do guitar and bass on 2 other tracks, and finally use a midi controller with reason for the pianos. I just have to buy 2 more pre's. Im worried about not having as much control over the drums though!

But like I said:

SOOO JEALOUS.

Soooo jealous.

How do you feel about not being able to mix the drums post recording? Because Im about to start doing that myself to get more live stuff. Im gonna run the drums through 2 stereo tracks, use another 2 for acoustic/voice and then do guitar and bass on 2 other tracks, and finally use a midi controller with reason for the pianos. I just have to buy 2 more pre's. Im worried about not having as much control over the drums though!

But like I said:

SOOO JEALOUS.

It's okay for the time being. It takes extra work pre recording but I've always thought that the more I get the sound right before I track the better the finished product. Mostly I use the mixer to adjust the level of each mic for an even sound. The mixer I have has good pre's so I get a warm drum sound, much better than before when I was just going direct with 2 overhead condensors. Eventually I'll get a multi channel I\O so I can mix the drums post recording, recording separate tracks for each drum mic and mixing from there. Alot of that stuff is new, I just got everything put together a few weeks ago after struggling in a smaller room. I'm working a few Sabbath track from the 1st Sab album, WASP-Wall Of Sleep-Bassically. When I get those done I'll post it here so you folks can hear it. I keep flubbing the solo in Wall Of Sleep so I need to nail that in the next few days.

It's a bear because as you know one thing leads to another. I thought I was done for a while but I can see this project eventually ending with buying a new house to accomodate all my crap .

um, can i come over & play?

You bet, I have a hard time finding people, you wouldn't happen to live in CO would you :).

I payed 1,200 for a DAW (digi 002 Rack) and protools with some plugins. You can get stuff based on Cubase that has like 8 in's for I think around 800. But I've heard both versions, and after a while you can start to tell the difference between the pre-amps in the Digi versus that in the Firepod or whatever. They're super clean. Also, if you have any interest in getting into the industry at all, it's pretty much all based on ProTools, so far as the digital side goes. So you're gonna have to switch it all around eventually anyways. But otherwise, Cubase and stuff is the way to go if you like it. Also check out Logic if you have a mac.

For mics though I got nothin special, AT3035 and some MXL's for the condensers, then a slew of 57's and a D112.

Anyone got any recordings they've done?

Well he said he was speaking specifically for home use. And yes, while Pro Tools is practically an industry standard, it is also legendary for it's clunky interface, and the cheaper versions are known to be glitchy at times.

As far as preamps go, one you get beyond the begining level you'll probably want to invest in better preamps period. I personally have a M-Audio Firewire 1814...I got a good deal on it. It has two preamps that work pretty well...but eventually I'm going to upgrade and increase my number of preamps ( im thinking of going all the way, and building some 7th circle audio preamps). The 1814 is very flexible ( 18 ins, 14 outs), and I could even run a bastard version of Pro Tools if I felt the need.

I have had good success just using an M-audio MBox with Protools. I just purchased a Rode NT1-A microphone, which is a decent mic for $200. I also use a shure sm-57 on my guitar cabs. For drums, I have a Roland VDrum kit, which allows me to go directly in thru the MBox via stereo 1/4" out or Midi.

Thanks for all the responses, I've been playing music for years, but never developed much on the engineer/recording side, allways had someone around me with a better understanding.

I'd also like to hear some recordings, I'll post something myself later

A cheap (free) way to make your songs sound better: get audacity, compress it and then boost the sound. The compress will get rid of a lot of the hiss sound that you would normally get with home digital recorders.

Sourceforge Page for Audacity

You'll also need LAME if you want to export your songs from Audacity to MP3 format;

LAME encoder

Compressing and then boosting the sound may remove a little of that hiss but it will destroy what may have otherwise been a decent mix. If the audio wave looks like a giant block, which it likely will after excessive compression and gain boosting, all the dynamics of each instrument will be lost.

Compressing and then boosting the sound may remove a little of that hiss but it will destroy what may have otherwise been a decent mix. If the audio wave looks like a giant block, which it likely will after excessive compression and gain boosting, all the dynamics of each instrument will be lost.

Maybe, but that's basically what the recording industry does during mastering. It's worked wonders for most amateurs that I know.

Compression can be useful, but yeah, it does create a certain quality in the recording where things don't have as much of an individual sound in a mix--but where the whole mix "jumps" out at you more. In the case of most home recording situations I think a little touch of compression where things are a little hissy is preferable to having a stellar mix with subpar sound. Reverb is another things to be careful about (unless you're Steve Albini and hate it as a rule) but can really enhance the quality of a home recording and give it a little more "depth."

When it comes to hiss/noise, I know pro-tools has some really fantastic noise reduction software in it, but for people who can't use that, just carefully micing, making sure the room is quiet (particularly from odd sounds like computers, ventilation systems) and then just getting the mics as close to the source without clipping can do wonders. If you're getting noise in the sound transfer (ie. recording into a computer or something like that) there's a few things that can be done, but if you're serious about recording what you're doing it might be worth upgrading a soundcard or getting a better I/O system, the payback will be in clarity.

My current setup for most of what I've done has been through a rather cheap mic, though I like the sound I can get from it, or an SM-57/58 when I've borrowed some of those. This then goes into the Boss BR-8 that I got about 7 years ago, and then into my computer (can't remember the soundcard). I like the fidelity I get from this setup, given the relatively low-cost, but I'm definitely upgrading when I'm not in college any longer, and while here, I know that if I am ever trying to serious record an "album" of any sort I will take advantage of the pro-tools suite I have access to.

For those interested, my myspace has 3 recordings done in this fashion (from various years and various combos of instruments) and then 1 live recording through the same BR-8: Myspaced