heard them? :rock

If you lived in Canada, you couldn't help but hear them :P They pick up where Stompin' Tom leaves off.

Their latest record is very good (as are many of their records), and they are quite good live. On a good night, they can be very very good live. I'd go.

If you lived in Canada, you couldn't help but hear them :P They pick up where Stompin' Tom leaves off.

Their latest record is very good (as are many of their records), and they are quite good live. On a good night, they can be very very good live. I'd go.

thanks Bob!! :cheers

one of the things about the Hip though, is that a lot of people have a cult-like attachment to them, which plays into their live reputation.That being said, I don't necessarily think you need to be a die-hard to enjoy them, but you'll probably enjoy them more if you're at least somewhat familiar with the more popular parts of their catalogue.

I hate them. But that's just me! Well hate is a strong word. They're just a bit on the boring side, I thinks. I do like that new song they play on the radio a bit though.

If you lived in Canada, you couldn't help but hear them

Yeah, they're analogous to a Pearl Jam or a Radiohead here. Pretty huge.

My opinion of them is a lot like my opinion of those two bands, for what it's worth. A solid rock band, better live than on disc, but not quite my cup of tea. If you're up for a show, I say go for it. You could do a lot better, but you could also do a lot worse.

Wilco opened for them back in the day. (Another Roadside Attraction, I think.)

uhm... on their live album they start by saying

"We would like to thank the Riostatics. For we all richer for having seen them tonight"

Wilco > Riostatics

They are playing at the house of blues anaheim this month. I plan on going. In Detroit, it was cool hearing all the Canadian bands that you wouldn't normally hear. What wasn't cool about Detroit? No jobs. But the mayor sure can partay!!!!

I guess it was a festival so Wilco must have played before the Rheostatics. I can actually see this happening (in Canada), but ten years later, it does seem hard to imagine.

Did anyone actually see that (1997) tour? I'm really curious about it.

I came close to seeing that tour, but I didn't quite manage to pull it off. I was more or less into the Hip at the time, and the prospect of seeing Wilco and the Rheos on the same bill sounded too good to pass up. Ah well, at least I've got tickets to the Rheos' last show in a couple weeks. [/single tear rolling down my cheek]

• 1 month later...

My two favorite bands are Wilco and The Tragically Hip. You should go. There are few bands out there who are in the same ball park when it comes to a live show.

i've never been able to get into the hip. they're playing here in a couple of weeks and tickets (with service charges) are $37. ouch. even though the sadies are opening, i'm SO not going to be there...

You keep saying stuff like this, and an intervention will be required. The Maker will play the Rheostatics Group of Seven CD over and over, Kalle will be hitting you with dismembered beaver tails, Judy will hold you eyes open, dropping maple syrup into the tear ducts, and I will be operating the hinterland who's who filmstrip.

moresongsaboutprisonsandhockey.jpg

You keep saying stuff like this, and an intervention will be required. The Maker will play the Rheostatics Group of Seven CD over and over, Kalle will be hitting you with dismembered beaver tails, Judy will hold you eyes open, dropping maple syrup into the tear ducts, and I will be operating the hinterland who's who filmstrip.

beaver tails? ouch. well, i do like the besnard lakes, malajube, sloan, the arrogant worms, paperboys, be good tanyas, oh and plenty more that i don't have time for now... ;)

i love you, canada. :cheekkiss

• 2 months later...

I saw the show in '97 when Wilco was part of the Another Roadside Attraction with the Tragically Hip. Gord Downie, lead singer of the Hip, is a big Wilco fan. At this show was the first time I ever heard Wilco, and I thought they were pretty cool. They played alot of songs from "Being There". I remember "Outta Mind, Outta Site" sticking in my head.

As for the Hip, they are, in my opinion, one of the greatest live bands you will ever see!

• 8 years later...

Terrible news....

An Important Message From The Band:
Hello friends. We have some very tough news to share with you today, and we wish it wasn’t so.
A few months ago, in December, Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

Since then, obviously, he’s endured a lot of difficult times, and he has been fighting hard. In privacy along with his family, and through all of this, we've been standing by him.
So after 30-some years together as The Tragically Hip, thousands of shows, and hundreds of tours…
We’ve decided to do another one.
This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us.
What we in The Hip receive, each time we play together, is a connection; with each other; with music and it’s magic; and during the shows, a special connection with all of you, our incredible fans.
So, we’re going to dig deep, and try to make this our best tour yet.
We hope you can come out and join us this summer - details and dates will be coming this week.
And we sincerely thank all of you, for your continued love and support,
Paul, GordD, Johnny, Rob, GordS

source.