02benshirtphilnh0.jpg

I know you got your Jaco Pastoriouses, your Stanley Clarkes, your Jack Bruces, your Chris Squires...I like all them guys. BUT...Mr. Phillip Chapman Lesh is my bass player of choice. One of the most inventive, strange bassists in the world. And if you're a freak or geek ( luckily, I happen to be both :lol ) this guy is your hero. I spent many years of my life in 'The Phil Zone'. Nothing quite like a Phil Bomb to open up your mind, and chest cavity as well!

I think it's safe to say that without the influence of Phil, the Grateful Dead would have been thought of as just a great late '60's SF band...rather than ummmm...the Grateful Dead.

Happy 67 Phil ! Keep on keepin' on & I hope to see you out there in the sheds again soon ! :worship

Some best of Phil that comes to mind: 12/1/71, 9/11/73, 6/18/74.

Words of wisdom: When Phil's on, the band's on. :thumbup

There's a sweet "Other One" from Gainesville, FLA ('81, I think) where Phil just explodes on the intro. We used to call it 'The Gainesville Dig" back in High School. It's amazing how a bass intro/bass line from one particular version of one particular song can stay in the 'ol memory bank for so long.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Phil very briefly a few times at book-signings/blood drives/rehearsals and he's always been a gentleman. Here's hopin' he hits the road again this summer in full swing, particularly Red Rocks ( a pal of mine has been soliciting Steve Winwood's manager to make something happen. Who knows....).

Anyone know when his liver's birthday is?

Can't be a day over 10, I'd guess. The terrible teens are right around the corner.

Phil praises that liver and touts organ-transplant as if it were a child, though.

Phil's made an awfully nice career out of not really knowing what a bass player is "supposed" to be doing. Phil & Jerry locking up and spiraling in and out with one another forms the essence of most of the great transcendent Dead moments, IMO.

Phil's made an awfully nice career out of not really knowing what a bass player is "supposed" to be doing. Phil & Jerry locking up and spiraling in and out with one another forms the essence of most of the great transcendent Dead moments, IMO.

Absolutely. Phil's ability (esp. in the great '72-'74 period) to come up with the least repetitive ideas is what makes the thing work for me. Barely grazing the root notes.

The P+F Band that he had from Fall '00 to Summer '02 (w/ both Jimmy Herring & Warren Haynes) put any modern day 'jamband' wannabees to shame. I really wish that group would've stayed intact...many jaw-dropping moments with that group.

This is the show I saw:

Phil Lesh & Friends 04/21/01

Set I

Jam >

Scarlet Begonias >

Fire on the Mountain

Blue Sky

St. Stephen >

The Eleven >

St. Stephen >

Celebration

Set II

Morning Dew

She Said, She Said

Friend of the Devil >

Bertha

Taste Like Wine >

Viola Lee Blues >

Golden Road >

Viola Lee Blues

Encore

Dear Mr. Fantasy

I love Phil as a bass player, but I honestly wish he wouldn't try to sing anymore. I saw The Dead in July 2003, and Phil sang "Mountains of the Moon." It was the longest 11 minutes of my life. :lol

His original studio version of "Box of Rain" is a great moment in rock history, though.

happy birthday phil!! :thumbup

listening to phil & friends 4-16-1999 at the warfield as we speak, and god damn, this is what music is all about.

talk about a ridiculous P&F lineup...trey anastasio, page mcconell, john molo and steve kimock. now that lineup needs to make another appearance :worship