Quibbles with Sky Blue Sky

Are you f'ing joking?! That awkward stop-start rhythmic jolting is an "amazing groove"? I can't WAIT to see people try to dance to that shit in concert... its going to be hi-larious...

And I bet of all the people who say that you are the only one around here that can't dance (or, worse, have not the balls to try).

And I bet of all the people who say that you are the only one around here that can't dance (or, worse, have not the balls to try).

Of all the people who say what? That the rhythmic breakdown of shake it off is a terrible groove and would be humorous to attempt to dance to? Well I'm glad I'm not alone in my opinion. Your assertion that I'm the only one who can't dance on this board is retarted, I'm sure lots of other people besides myself can't dance (represent!), and your assertion that I don't have the balls is just, unfortunately, wrong... oh yeah, and hostile/prickish of you. :thumbup

Your assertion that I'm the only one who can't dance on this board is retarted

There's a joke I could make here about someone's inability to spell the word "retarded," but it's low-hanging fruit so I won't bother.

WWhat Light (although I love this arrangement compared to the live versions - the "ooo-oohs" and pedal steel are very lovely) is basically the world's biggest deep-fried cheeseball.

Not sure what your problem with this song is, but I think it is destined to be a classic. I mean it. You will hear it on radio stations 20 years from now.

I for one find it very refreshing to hear Jeff write some lyrics that are very simple and direct. I also find it very uplifting. Does that make it cheeseball? Maybe I'm just getting old....

I actually thought it worked well as an opener at the Aud. Theater.

I've listened to that show 100 times now and you are right. It works great live, it's just that no one there had heard it yet so it seemed awkward.

By the way, who the hell dances at a Wilco show??? Maybe a head nod or two but actual dancing??

My only quibble: it's not a double album!

hey now that's actually a "quibble" i agree with.

i'm trying not to pay attn. to anyone's "quibbles" with this album lest their opinions start to affect mine.

and mine's in favor of everything on this album.

Not sure what your problem with this song is, but I think it is destined to be a classic. I mean it. You will hear it on radio stations 20 years from now.

I for one find it very refreshing to hear Jeff write some lyrics that are very simple and direct. I also find it very uplifting. Does that make it cheeseball? Maybe I'm just getting old....

It's not that they're direct, they are overly sentimental, simplistic and come off as contrived. Very cheesy, especially the "hey everyone, JUST SMILE and keep on keepin' on, you got this LIGHT thing inside of ya!" type message. Can't say I saw Jeff writing this song after what we got with YHF.

It's not that they're direct, they are overly sentimental, simplistic and come off as contrived. Very cheesy, especially the "hey everyone, JUST SMILE and keep on keepin' on, you got this LIGHT thing inside of ya!" type message. Can't say I saw Jeff writing this song after what we got with YHF.

"Just remember / what was yours / is everyone's from now on..."

I dunno, it seems like some of it is about the RIAA, and who owns music as well.

Kind of like how the Late Greats initially seemed like "Boo! If it's on the radio, it's bad!" but was actually about the song mostly existing through the listener.

"Just remember / what was yours / is everyone's from now on..."

I dunno, it seems like some of it is about the RIAA, and who owns music as well.

Kind of like how the Late Greats initially seemed like "Boo! If it's on the radio, it's bad!" but was actually about the song mostly existing through the listener.

Interesting, I take that line as a reference to a deeper artistic struggle within, ie: should you pour out your heart artistically or should you keep it in so as not to compromise yourself (or something).

Is that some sort of pork thing?

D'er... polygamy is the art of paper folding. Thought everyone knew that...

The lyric is about making a swan out of paper and then it belonging to everyone...

i love wilco, but i can't get into this one at all. my initial reaction to this recording was that it reminded me of hopped up elevator music. "sky blue sky" and "far, far away" sound like the same song to me, i hate shake it off , and the absence of any true rockers annoys me (and yes i have heard walken). with the exception of "impossible germany" and maybe "either way" all of the remaining songs are just ehhhh.

the comparisons i was hearing to "being there" have little to no merit in my humble opinion.

sorry about the bashing, but i was really looking forward to this recording :frusty

i love wilco, but i can't get into this one at all. my initial reaction to this recording was that it reminded me of hopped up elevator music. "sky blue sky" and "far, far away" sound like the same song to me, i hate shake it off , and the absence of any true rockers annoys me (and yes i have heard walken). with the exception of "impossible germany" and maybe "either way" all of the remaining songs are just ehhhh.

the comparisons i was hearing to "being there" have little to no merit in my humble opinion.

sorry about the bashing, but i was really looking forward to this recording :frusty

Don't give up on it yet. It's got a lot to it.

EDIT: Or not, who knows.

I don't buy the whole 'it's a grower' thing with records, I think if I listened to anything

enough it would get in my head and I'd probably enjoy it on some level. Anyway, I think this

record won't get many more spins, but a couple tunes will.

i agree with some of things said here, especially about some tracks not doing anything special off the platform of a steady song. i love what light as a song but not this recording.

that said i listened to the YHF demos back to back with this.... and I know they're only demos but some of this album really makes you realise how much wilco has grown.

its strange that you can criticise a band for non being completely consistent in their brilliance, but they are the high standards we set for our ourselves with wilco...

Are you f'ing joking?! That awkward stop-start rhythmic jolting is an "amazing groove"? I can't WAIT to see people try to dance to that shit in concert... its going to be hi-larious...

No I'm not f'ing joking. Its a stop start thing i guess, its not awkward and if you have any sense of music you can keep time in your head and dance normally to it without looking around all confused when the music stops for a half a beat. Just a little tip for your next Wilco show.