Quibbles with Sky Blue Sky

Ok, I've listened to the album about 100 times. I love it. Impossible to rank against other albums, in my opinion, but I really dig it.

But I have some issues. First of all, I am NOT digging Nels on Either Way. Very smooth jazz. Don't like it at all. In fact, I think by far the best guitar moment on the album is Jeff's solo on "You Are My Face." That's rock music people. Nels drives me nuts some times--he plays too many notes, and adds that smooth jazz/fusion type thing that I don't dig with my rock music.

Also, Side with the Seeds is a great fucking song. But it has a bit of a trans-siberian orchestra feel to it. And I think that's all Nels. It rips the soul right out of the tune.

I think What Light is a little dull. And I would have like to hear a little more creativity and space for Glen on the album.

Anyway, great album overall. Just wondering if anyone agrees with anything I said. Please spare me your wrath if you're very wilco-sensitive.

And anyone else have any quibbles to share?

While the album definitely goes down smoothly as a whole, there are some songs I just flat-out can't appreciate. Either Way is nice enough, but meh. Y'know? Just meh. Wilco records have traditionally had really wonderful openers, but this is my least favourite to date. It just seems slight in every way to me. What Light (although I love this arrangement compared to the live versions - the "ooo-oohs" and pedal steel are very lovely) is basically the world's biggest deep-fried cheeseball. Leave Me (Like You Found Me) is a pleasant enough song, but it doesn't go anywhere or inspire any particular feelings in me. I see it as SBS's Wishful Thinking; it just sort of sits there while I'm waiting for the next song to begin (I'm not one to skip tracks).

In terms of instrumentation and arrangements, I have no beefs whatsoever. Like most Wilco discs, I think this is a really beautiful sounding record.

I disagree with you on Side with the Seeds. For me, it's becoming an all-time favorite and that mostly has to do with Nels, especially on the first solo. I also can't ever seem to get Either Way out of my head after hearing it (in a good way). It is one of the weaker openers, but now you're comparing it to Misunderstood, IATTBYH, and ALTWYS. I think it fits the album pretty well.

I agree with you about Glenn. I really tried to listen for him on the headphones one night, and I concluded that maybe a better quality version of this album will highlight what he's doing, because it's more than you might initially think (at least it was for me).

My biggest beefs are with Shake It Off and What Light. What Light is the one song that occasionally loses my interest and Shake It Off just doesn't sound ready to be on an album. It just seems underdeveloped and thrown together. But it's also the song I'm looking forward to the most live. I think it has the potential to be something a whole lot more dynamic than what exists on the album right now. I like the song but I just feel like it could be so much more.

Here's the way I look at the whole Glenn and Nels thing. Nels is playing a lot of the "fill" areas where Glenn used to fill. As for Nels' fills though, they're amazing. He's a remarkable guitarist, but i just feel like there's not enough room for Glenn at times. This also feels like a "softer" album then any others, with less rockers. On these types of albums, a more melody type of fill fits better then a percussion fill. There's also much less "space" then there was on YHF or AGIB, leaving less room for Glenn to work with.

My personal thoughts on each song are as follows:

Either Way does not grab me as a slamming opener like other Wilco albums had, but it is the best spot for the song on SBS.

You Are My Face is the best song on the album, shows almost all aspects of the band, and really what they have recently become.

I love the guitar work in Impossible Germany, Nels and Jeff mesh together very well, and it shows on this song.

Sky Blue Sky is a good song, something is missing though. It is a simple song and simplicity is beauty in this song.

Side With the Seeds is one of Wilco's best-written songs to date. This is where no one can argue about Nels' playing. The whole band is just on fire, just an amazing song. Glenn shines on this song too. It gives me chills every time I hear it.

Shake It Off just doesn't sound like a Wilco song to me. Well, at least the opening verse. The chorus/middle has an amazing groove to it, I can't wait to hear this live. The song has a great climax/calm thing going for it. I can't wait to experience that live.

I've saw Jeff play Please Be Patient With Me solo at U of I last year. The words are amazing, the song is amazing, I love it. I love it so much that I don't like it on this album. Its a great Jeff song, but not really a Wilco song. To me, songs like this should be on a Tweedy solo album. This song would work great as a Wilco album closer though.

Hate it Here is Wilco and fits the album perfectly. My only complaint is that it needs more Glenn in the 1st verse, just seems a bit naked. The electric piano (rhodes?) is a great accent to this song. Lyrics are great too. The "Hate it here, when you're gone" bridge part with the solo after is just sweet. Glenn steps it up in that 2nd verse with a little double time type of thing and it sounds awesome.

Leve Me(Like You Found Me) has the sound that fits the labum. Jeff seems like he's holding back a bit on this. Good song though, but doesn't have any stand out parts of it.

Waken is great, its even better live, its awesome Jeff solo. The only thing I'd ask for is a clav on it, but hey, this isn't Kingpin. They pull off the same energy in the album cut as it is live, that's great.

What Light might be the happiest song Wilco has written, it definitely goes along with the theme of the album, the theme of Hope. It'll be a great live sing-along, could even get some radio play. I have no complaints about this song, where it is on the album or the instrumentation. Great tune.

On And On And On closes this album very well. It seems to sum up the album very well. The end of this track has a whole lot of feeling. Glenn is going nuts on the drums and with the shakers bringing it up. The piano pounding adds great layers to the percussion. Jeff shows a lot of emotion as well.

You know, after listening to this for the 50th time, this album really runs together very well. its not just a bunch of songs thrown together. I feel if that this whole album could be read like a story, a very vague story, but with some narration between songs it could be a great soundtrack to a musical. This is the exact album they should have put out at this point in their career.

Either Way - Appropriate opener, sets the mood.

You Are My Face - So good it hurts.

Impossible Germany - Pefectly Executed

Sky Blue Sky - Classic Wilco.

Side With the Seeds - Was my most anticipated song, but I'm not a fan of the slower tempo. Sounds tedious at times.

Shake it Off - Ouch on the vocals, but once it gets going, it rocks. But seriously, "Sunlight aaanglees oownn?" Do another take.

Patient With Me - I'm trying, but I wish it wasn't on the album. It's a solo song.

Hate it Here - new for them and I love it.

Leave Me Like You Found Me - I see it as this album's Wishful Thinking and that's what I love about it. It's understated but beautiful.

Walkin' - Nothing to dislike here.

What Light - "is basically the world's biggest deep-fried cheeseball" TheMaker said it best.

On and On and On - until it gets going it sounds like a throwaway to me.

not too big on the album version of What light. the higher vocal he used to do when it forst started getting played suit it better. even later versions where the key was dropped, the vocals still sounded good. after hearing those, i think he's wasting his vocal opportunity on the album version

What's with all the hate with Tweedy's vocals on 'Shake It Off'?

Intonation was totally 18th century.

I don't know. I really like Nels' solo on Patient With Me. Yeah, Glenn doesn't do a lot (if at all) on it, but Nels' solo really does it. Elegant and simple.

Then again, Glenn doesn't do a lot on this record. But it's not like what he is (or isn't, rather) doing doesn't fit. He's playing to fit the music, which really goes to show his true prowess as a drummer - when to not play. Anyone can do a drum solo - but do you have the balls to NOT do one and actually let the song do the talking?

I said something like this earlier: I can't fault anyone for reading the "What Light" lyrics as cheesy. But I've always detected a degree of irony in them, an interpretation confirmed when I saw the song being performed live and a sly, playful grin came over Jeff's face as he sang "don't let anyone change your bag." It was as if he knew the line was corny, but he was going to try to have fun with it anyway--and I think the SBS version captures that same sense of throwaway goofiness. Does that justify the line? I dunno, but I respond to the tone.

I said something like this earlier: I can't fault anyone for reading the "What Light" lyrics as cheesy. But I've always detected a degree of irony in them, an interpretation confirmed when I saw the song being performed live and a sly, playful grin came over Jeff's face as he sang "don't let anyone change your bag." It was as if he knew the line was corny, but he was going to try to have fun with it anyway--and I think the SBS version captures that same sense of throwaway goofiness. Does that justify the line? I dunno, but I respond to the tone.

I agree. It's a very Neil Young kind of corny.

What Light - "is basically the world's biggest deep-fried cheeseball" TheMaker said it best.

I'm kind of new round these parts. What is a deep-fried cheeseball? Apologies - English isn't my first language

I'm kind of new round these parts. What is a deep-fried cheeseball? Apologies - English isn't my first language

No problem. I can tell already that your English is much better than my best non-native tongue!

I just meant that the song is cheesy, which is another way of saying that the lyrics are very direct and sentimental, lacking in style and subtlety.

Shake It Off ... The chorus/middle has an amazing groove to it, I can't wait to hear this live.

Are you f'ing joking?! That awkward stop-start rhythmic jolting is an "amazing groove"? I can't WAIT to see people try to dance to that shit in concert... its going to be hi-larious...

early take on the record as i listened 4-5 times (sorry working lots)

Either Way - lyrically beautifully, musically safe, decent opener but not even close to wilco's best opener Misunderstood but better then Wilco's worst opener Can't Stand It

You Are My Face - becoming a Wilco classic

Impossible Germany - one of my new favorites, Tweedy/Cline guitar clash, i envision the Flaming Lips playing this song, great recorded version and excellent live song

Sky Blue Sky - brings me back to Being There, although i like the old title better

Side With the Seeds - Nels Cline is a badass, lighting fast guitar lead, maybe a bit over-the-top but the performance is unbelievable, i like Tweedy's voice

Shake it Off - trying to warm up to this song, it didnt hit me when i heard/saw it live in Madison, although the jam in the middle is cool

Patient With Me - yes it is a solo song, but i like the chord changes

Hate it Here - different sound, different style of lyrics-simple, even plain but it is a lovely rocking soulful ode to his housekeeper...

Leave Me Like You Found Me - also trying to get into this song, the music doesnt do much for me, sounds more like an Autumn Defense song to me

Walkin' - good rocker but i feel like Wilco packed too much riff into it, Jimmy Page is smiling somewhere

What Light - i think Tweedy penned this one as his "Be Not So Fearful," a song of hope and spirit, cheesy? maybe but it is a cool performance at a solo show

On and On and On - another song i could see the Flaming Lips play (added lots of effects) i think it is a great closer to the record

---

overall not my top wilco record but i like the direction after two experimental records.

Are you f'ing joking?! That awkward stop-start rhythmic jolting is an "amazing groove"? I can't WAIT to see people try to dance to that shit in concert... its going to be hi-larious...

it might become jeff's new Hummingbird