If it's not too late to add my little recommendations...

I like to suggest Clem Snide and Eef Barzelay (of Clem Snide) every chance I get and it's right up your alley judging by your post.

Check out Eef Barzelay's "Ballad of Bitter Honey." It's absolutely awesome. He's got the best voice and the lyrics are clever and interesting (great for just skimming the surface of but they can go deep if you decide you want them to.) Just really awesome gentle but powerful stuff. And he's adorable, so that never hurts. :wub At one point his song (via his group, Clem Snide) "Moment in the Sun" was the theme for the tv show, "Ed."

My recommendation is that M. Ward LP, Post-War, it's mighty fine.
This is one I would like to hear also. Waiting for a used copy to cross my path. I suspect I am going to have to buy the new Andrew Bird new.

LouieB

I just discovered The Rosebuds at SXSW at the Hot Freaks party. Check out their 2005 record 'Birds Make Good Neighbors'. I was impressed with them (live and in person) and then checked out this record and am glad I did. They're from Raleigh, NC.

If it's not too late to add my little recommendations...

I like to suggest Clem Snide and Eef Barzelay (of Clem Snide) every chance I get and it's right up your alley judging by your post.

Check out Eef Barzelay's "Ballad of Bitter Honey." It's absolutely awesome. He's got the best voice and the lyrics are clever and interesting (great for just skimming the surface of but they can go deep if you decide you want them to.) Just really awesome gentle but powerful stuff. And he's adorable, so that never hurts. :wub At one point his song (via his group, Clem Snide) "Moment in the Sun" was the theme for the tv show, "Ed."

I too love Eef. Amaranthine, I can send you some Clem Snide if you like.

Llynn, I wish we had gotten to meet at that infamous Springfield show. We seem to share similar tastes, as I've noticed from some of your other posts. Do you like Mountain Goats? Admittedly his voice isn't for everyone, but I love his lyrics, and I'm hooked on "Get Lonely".

The thing is 1972 and Nashville, for example, seem to fit the list to me, as it's easy to listen to. So I'm like this: :unsure

For some reason they don't have the same zing or whatever for me. I'm not sure why. They seem flat to me compared to the earlier stuff.

As for logic--har--sleep-deprived new parents have no logic!

Peter Bruntnell - Normal For Bridgewater

Beulah - Yoko

Josh Ritter - Animal Years

not all new but very very good

all very excellent albums

may i add:

grandaddy (as was mentioned previously) except i'd avoid the diary of toddzilla given your tastes

calexico (including the iron and wine collaboration)

patty hurst shifter (just good ol' rock n roll from raleigh, nc)

two cow garage (hard rock with twang)

the drams(the remains of slobberbone but you'd hardly know it, a lot like summerteeth) probably my best recommendation given what i can tell about your tastes.

For some reason they don't have the same zing or whatever for me. I'm not sure why. They seem flat to me compared to the earlier stuff.

As for logic--har--sleep-deprived new parents have no logic!

Amaranthine, I've just listened to Josh's 1972 again a few minutes ago and on closer inspection, find it somewhat "too easy" listening. The sound is a bit flat, it sounds like "living room" music. On the other hand, the guy's still got taste for fine compositions.

And my own logic is often weird too. ;)

As for cool music... Do you know Ron Sexsmith's Retriever?

I too love Eef. Amaranthine, I can send you some Clem Snide if you like.

Llynn, I wish we had gotten to meet at that infamous Springfield show. We seem to share similar tastes, as I've noticed from some of your other posts. Do you like Mountain Goats? Admittedly his voice isn't for everyone, but I love his lyrics, and I'm hooked on "Get Lonely".

I do like Mountain Goats but I haven't listened to too much because I'm bad about not listening to music that everyone gets into before I do. If I find out about some cool musician on my own, I get all kinds of into it. If friends try to turn me onto something, I usually don't listen to it as much even if I do like it an awful lot. I don't know why I do that. It's really pretty lame of me. I should probably just give in and listen to more Mountain Goats! For now, I know I really like "Song for Dennis Brown" :yes

Anything from Josh Ritter's discography is really great so I second that. Other than that, I'd probably go back and listen to some classic 60s and 70s stuff, like..

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

T. Rex - The Slider

The Band - Music From Big Pink

The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man

Neil Young - After the Goldrush

And for some really easy going music.. I'd go with Curtis Mayfield or Toots & the Maytals

hey i'm sober now and i still say check out jubilee dive by the drams. it's been completely ignored by near everyone in the media but "Hummalong" and "Unhinged" are great rockers to blare out the car window. Some Summerteeth styled poppy mid tempo numbers, too. I think New West did no promotion on this cd as it's too good to leave off any kind of top 50 or top 100 of 2006.

Because I'd like to understand. But now you should apologize for insulting me, don't you think, dickhead?

I listened to some music at borders the other day and really enjoyed Patty Griffen and Ricki Lee Jones latest. I'm in the same situation as you though. A three year old and have no extra money to be buying music. :(

My recommendation is that M. Ward LP, Post-War, it's mighty fine.

I'd recommend anything by M. Ward :worship

I've just listened to Josh's 1972 again a few minutes ago and on closer inspection, find it somewhat "too easy" listening. The sound is a bit flat, it sounds like "living room" music. On the other hand, the guy's still got taste for fine compositions.

I agree with you. I would say Under Cold Blue Stars is just about perfect, but I haven't been impressed with his more recent stuff. I heard an interview he did on NPR and he said his latest album was (paraphrasing) "music you can put on while you have people over for dinner"

Josh Ritter - Animal Years

I love this one too.

• 2 months later...

regarding Josh Rouse...

Nashville is great stuff. Subtitilo is good, not great.

any album with the song "My Love Has Gone" - when the best POP songs ever written if you ask me - is golden!!

UCBS is only slightly better.

Mojave 3 (check out Neil Halstead's solo release 'Sleeping on Roads' also)

Mercury Rev (especially 'Deserters Songs)

Neko Case

Cat Power

Brightblack Morning Light

Paul Weller's live acoustic disc 'Days of Speed'

Lambchop

M Ward