• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it a lot! Some arguments say that they don't like it cause it won't fit in. If all new buildings fit in with their surrondings that would be just plain boring. I mean look at the Louvre. You think that pyramid thing fits in? No but it sure is interesting and gives character. And I agree with Edie. Its not gonna be a big surprise to go up and change the lives of many for years. Its gonna take a while and the people that are really set in there ways will have some time to adjust. I would love to live in that building

The Milwaukee Art Museum is interesting, but I doubt this will ever be built. Who's going to buy condos in something like this...?? (famous last words....)

Louieb

hate to break it to you, but its been officially under construction since june...

p1020422pppkt8.jpg

I just dont see how people can call this ugly. Its architecture as art at its finest. I think people don't "get" it because its not the typical "Miesan" boxy office building thats been built ad nauseum here for the past 40 years. This is organic architecture breaking from the mold and setting a precedent for the future: what Chicago has always done.

And people calling it phallic....first off, by their very nature, ALL skyscrapers are phallic if you want to go down that route. Secondly, get your mind out of the gutter. As organic architecture, its inspired by the repetition in nature (and also looks like a seashell from above:

86209206.jpg

And come on, Bill Kurtis narated the marketing documentary on the website. This thing is money.

And as if theres not enough going on in the Chicago architecture world right now...

OB-AQ927_POD_RE_20070926234358.jpg

Developer Tries Comeback With New Chicago Waldorf

By JENNIFER S. FORSYTH

September 27, 2007; Page B1

.....The Waldorf-Astoria is being built in a partnership with Fordham Co., a Chicago-based high-end residential developer. Preliminary plans call for a 100-floor tower that in no way resembles its Art Deco-style Manhattan namesake. Instead, the project is more akin in style to the Chicago Spire, the 2,000-foot-tall condominium project being built by architect Santiago Calatrava on Lake Shore Drive. "It's a little bit of a tip of the hat to the Spire just down the street, as they are both slender, tall and elegant, but it's different," says Christopher Carley, chairman of Fordham......

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119085473819840797.html

Its an exciting time, no two ways about it.

I think that tower looks freaking stupid among our beautiful skyline. What a shame I'll have to look at that crap when I ride downtown.

"Chicago is a city of contradictions, of private visions haphazardly overlaid and linked together. If the city was unhappy with itself yesterday-and invariably it was-it will reinvent itself today."

-Pat Colander "A Metropolis of No Little Plans"