Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch

As much as it doesn't surprise me, it still really sucks. I'm going to miss hearing Jason's songs at DBT shows. "Decoration Day" and "Outfit" were always highlights of their sets. His cover of Moonlight Mile on the last tour was also great.

I'm happy to read that Shonna is still in the band, though I imagine that will be tough with Jason no longer in it as well.

I hope Jason does some serious touring and comes through DC when I'm not working.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as it doesn't surprise me, it still really sucks. I'm going to miss hearing Jason's songs at DBT shows. "Decoration Day" and "Outfit" were always highlights of their sets. His cover of Moonlight Mile on the last tour was also great.

I'm happy to read that Shonna is still in the band, though I imagine that will be tough with Jason no longer in it as well.

I hope Jason does some serious touring and comes through DC when I'm not working.

Shonna and Jason are divorced now...

Looks like Jason was given the boot. I'm not surprised that he is out but I definitely thought we'd get at least one more album with him on it. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a few days. :dancing

That's a little better. It's certainly touching lyrically, but I'm still not that into it. I wasn't into the Isbell songs on the last Truckers album either, though. I still think his best songs were on Decoration Day and the Dirty South.

Absolutley.

Daylight makes me cringe. Can't believe they put that on a Trucker record

Shonna and Jason are divorced now...

Somehow I missed that. I just read it over on ninebullets.

From what Jason posted on his myspace page it definitely looks like leaving DBT wasn't amicable on his end. That's too bad.

Wow. That does suck. Looking at Jason's MySpace page, it really doesn't seem as amicable a split as Patterson makes it sound on the DBT page.

His presence will be missed very much by DBT (both live and in the studio .. though I agree I didn't love his songs on their last album). I look forward to his solo stuff, though.

Sad news regarding one of my favorite bands.

Good riddance

wow, I couldn't disagree more. Patterson is easily my favorite of the songwriters but Cooley and Isbell are ridiculously talented. I'm with Peel on this... this has ruined my day. The triple-guitar onslaught that was their live shows won't be the same. :ohwell

Curious to see if Jason just goes the solo route or if he'll join forces with another band or songwriter(s). He and Jason Molina might make a nice little team.

That's a big downer on Jason leaving the band. I was surprised how long it lasted with three big talents and egos in one band but they made some great stuff when they were together, as did the Truckers before Jason joined. Good luck to both parties and I hope they go on to better things. I wasn't too wild about the last DBT album so hopefully Hood and Cooley can bring some more great stuff to a new album

The solo live version of Dress Blues is outstanding, much better than the band version.

this really doesn't surprise me. 3 dudes who could each have solo careers in one band can't last that long. cooley and hood are def in it together for the long haul. isbell was just a different bird, but it worked for a while. don't cooley and hood have new albums in the can?

looking forward to just two guitars and a bit of pedal steel. can't wait for new DBT.

c

Absolutley.

Daylight makes me cringe. Can't believe they put that on a Trucker record

it wasn't nearly as boring as "Space City", now that song was a fucking snorer

but yeah, after i heard about Jason & Shonna's divorce a few weeks ago (apparently it happened around this time a year ago), i sorta wondered what might come of it, but everyone was told apparently it wouldn't effect things...

the thing about Isbell & DBT is... prior to him joining the band, they were just a GOOD band for me... his presence on record and ESPECIALLY at their live shows, cemented them as one of my favorite live bands around... so it's hard to say that dynamic isn't going to change.

other than SRO, the albums prior to Jason joining the band really aren't that good imo... so say what you will about Jason's songs on the last DBT record, but the dude is insanely talented, whether you like him or not. i will miss his vocals & guitar playing a great deal...

i have a theory that he was holding back his best stuff for Sirens, thus why we got what we got on the last DBT record (which wasn't all that great of an album to begin with, no matter what you say about Jason's contributions. it's easily their weakest of the last 4)

also, i can imagine the fact that Jason is 10+ years younger than the rest of the band (besides Shonna?), was a factor at times too.

That's the best song on ABAAC.

it's a pretty good song lyrically, but it deserved to be a hidden track or a b-side, cuz it didn't fit the sound of that record at all, and it drug down the entire 2nd half of an already watered down/weak album.

but best song on the record? not even close for me...

OK so Jason is gone, well the way I see it is a globe can only have two Poles. So with Jason gone lets engage in baseless speculation as to why he "left voluntarily" or was forced out of the band...

In all seriousness though, I liked Jason just fine, but like Cooley's and Hoods songs much more. Will I miss him? Don't know until the next album comes out, I don't really see this causing a radical change of direction for the band. I think they will continue rolling along and the change will be as seamless as when he joined the band.

I didn't discover the Truckers until Decoration Day and have to say that it, and the Dirty South are probably their strongest records.

Saw 'em a total of four times w/Isbell and am thankful for it; (although God knows my hearing probably suffered).

Let's hope both camps can continue to produce amazing music. Maybe something really positive can come from this in regards to new songs.

Change is a great inspiration.

I didn't discover the Truckers until Decoration Day and have to say that it, and the Dirty South are probably their strongest records.

Saw 'em a total of four times w/Isbell and am thankful for it; (although God knows my hearing probably suffered).

Let's hope both camps can continue to produce amazing music. Maybe something really positive can come from this in regards to new songs.

Change is a great inspiration.

This entire post could have come from me. :thumbup

Jason's my favorite Trucker, with Cooley a close second. I'm really going to miss that "wall of sound" from 3 guitars that made me temporarily deaf and happy.