The Olympics in Chicago?

"Chicago beat Los Angeles on Saturday in a U.S. Olympic Committee vote to pick a candidate for the 2016 Summer Games.

Chicago, which has never held an Olympics, now will try to persuade the International Olympic Committee that it deserves to be the host, joining a group of bidders expected to include Madrid, Prague, Rome, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo."

here's the article

if the Olympics comes to Chicago - I am moving.

Well....2016? I hope I will have moved by then anyway. :P

ive never understood why people are so opposed to the games. its at most a month of inconvenience, while the rewards will last a lifetime. i think people who say they dont want the games because of traffic, being crowded, etc, are being pretty selfish. this is something for the greater good. if it means things like improvements for mass transit and other infastructure can be fastracked, im all for it. i just cant understand something as drastic as moving because a sporting event would come to town. seems like an ovveraction to me, even if you are opposed to it.

i think it would be really cool and great chance to see a once in a lifetime type thing. my grandma lived in LA during the 84 Olympics and said she didn't even remember it having a big traffic impact. not to say that it wouldn't, but maybe its not as bad as people think. People from out of town wont generally be driving cars, they'll be hailing cabs and on the train/bus. i don't klnow about beating out those other cities, though. Chicago is a great city but, that will be tough.

People's complaint with events such as this generally revolve around the publicly funded infrastructure to hold the games. Typically the down time and traffic snarls happen while they're trying to build stadiums, arenas and what not. They tried that in NY but aside from those who had a vested interest in seeing it happen there seemed to be little support for it.

i think it would be really cool and great chance to see a once in a lifetime type thing. my grandma lived in LA during the 84 Olympics and said she didn't even remember it having a big traffic impact. not to say that it wouldn't, but maybe its not as bad as people think. People from out of town wont generally be driving cars, they'll be hailing cabs and on the train/bus. i don't klnow about beating out those other cities, though. Chicago is a great city but, that will be tough.

madrid will be a no-no after london. tokyo has hosted before, and asia will have the games in 2008. the real competition will be rio. and if they land the '14 fifa world cup, chicagos odds go up higher. i think its chicagos games to lose. also, chicago is still relatively undiscovered throughout the rest of the world, despite being an alpha world city (the highest classification). there is a large curiosity factor.

They tried that in NY but aside from those who had a vested interest in seeing it happen there seemed to be little support for it.

polls show support for chicago games among residents around 80-85%.

As a life long Chicagoan, I would love to see them come here. I am all in favor, with the only drawback being the continuous media coverage for the next 10 years.

As a life long Chicagoan, I would love to see them come here. I am all in favor, with the only drawback being the continuous media coverage for the next 10 years.

As im sure the VCers from london can agree with... when i was there this summer it was annoying to me even as a visitor to hear about the olympics that were years off anyway constantly

One of the big reasons many groups are opposing the 2010 olympics in vancouver is because of all of the money being spent on the construction/renovations of buildings and infrastructure, when there is a whole community of people who need affordable housing and other basic needs. If you've ever been to east hastings, you know what i'm talking about. If the millions of dollars slated for the olympics were instead spent on programs and organizations that are trying to help these people, I think that would make a huge improvement to the lives of so many...

In saying this, I do have to admit that I've gotten into speedskating the past couple of olympics. Man!! Thunder-thighs galore!!

One of the big reasons many groups are opposing the 2010 olympics in vancouver is because of all of the money being spent on the construction/renovations of buildings and infrastructure, when there is a whole community of people who need affordable housing and other basic needs. If you've ever been to east hastings, you know what i'm talking about. If the millions of dollars slated for the olympics were instead spent on programs and organizations that are trying to help these people, I think that would make a huge improvement to the lives of so many...

I agree. I was opposed to Vancouver/Whistler hosting the 2010 winter Olympics for the reasons you mention, but now that they're going ahead, I have to admit that I'm kind of excited about it. And at least we're finally going to get some rapid transit out to YVR!

It would be very cool if Chicago hosted the 2016 summer Olympics. (It would probably be very hot as well.)

Chicago might even get its own flying saucer terminal.

I'm near enought to LA that I could have gone to some stuff had they been selected (and had I still been in the area) but I was rooting for Chicago anyway. So congrats Chicago, hope you win it all.

dear god, i hope the dan ryan construction is done by 2016.
Wishful thinking...also the construction on the Brown line which is going slow. (Actually the Ryan is not so bad compared to what it could have been.)

Hmmm...9 years....should be fun, but a long time from now.

LouieB

As a lifelong selfish Chicagoan, I'd prefer if they went ahead and put it in Indianapolis.

Thanks but no thanks my friend.

• 1 year later...
I agree. I was opposed to Vancouver/Whistler hosting the 2010 winter Olympics for the reasons you mention, but now that they're going ahead, I have to admit that I'm kind of excited about it. And at least we're finally going to get some rapid transit out to YVR!

Yeah me too!!! Too bad (unless you're ultra rich) we won't be able to see any events. I'd love to go watch some Olympic hockey.

dear god, i hope the dan ryan construction is done by 2016.

If I remeber correctly I think I herd that more highway construction was going to take place to prepare for the influx of people.