Okay, admittedly I'm pretty late on discovering her.

I actually listened to self-titled before Exile in Guyville, so maybe my perspective is whacked.

That self-titled album is so effing good. Somebody explain the hatred that that album inspired.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Whip Smart a lot, and probably still have a copy of it floating around somewhere. Exile in Guyville was very good, but it sounded like she was trying too hard to be edgy and over the top at times. The s/t album is the poppy one, right? Decent pop songs, a little polished for my taste. The song about blowjobs is nice. :) No reason to hate it, IMO, unless you're going the sellout route, which isn't something that's ever bugged me all that much.

I liked Whip Smart a lot, and probably still have a copy of it floating around somewhere. Exile in Guyville was very good, but it sounded like she was trying too hard to be edgy and over the top at times. The s/t album is the poppy one, right? Decent pop songs, a little polished for my taste. The song about blowjobs is nice. :) No reason to hate it, IMO, unless you're going the sellout route, which isn't something that's ever bugged me all that much.

Exile in Guyville us her best when looked at from a lyrics perspective. I thought the music on on her self titled album was more consistent but at times veered into the style over substance category.

To me, she's someone who had one great album in her (her first), and she's been desperately trying to squeeze the last few drops from that tube ever since.

But what a great album that was. Yeah, perhaps gratuitously shocking at times, but it's one of the best things that came out of that stretch of the '90s.

and Lou goes back on the 'ignore list' for being a huge know-it-all d***.

I too love Polyester Bride and think the later CDs have some merit, a huge FU to the indie geeks.

Feel free....not exactly sure why expressing a strong opinion about someone means I know it all....I bet there are many here who feel the same way.

There are few recording artists that have come with so much hype and delivered so little. This was an argument here several years ago and her reputation is no better now, in fact it is even less. At least she is no longer associated witih the Chicago music scene...someone else can claim her.

LouieB

Lou - I can't speak for anyone else, but I barely even noticed that you expressed an opinion about Liz Phair's music. It was this line...

If you are just now getting into Liz, you are at least a decade too late. You had to be there so don't bother.

...that made me think we were being elitist and condescending.